Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 01-13-2015, 06:27 PM

Selling PHP Script -- do you compile/obfuscate your code (IonCube, ZendGuard)?

I just got started selling PHP script.

My question would be -- should I use software like ZendGuard or IonCube to protect my code.

On one hand, I want to protect my codes from modifications. An example, my free version limits certain features. But if the code is raw PHP, they might be able to remove that limitations.

On another, I hate to make my customers jump through hoops and get ZendGuard or IonCube installed, worse for just a free version.

What do you guys think?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-14-2015, 03:56 PM
Contributing Member

IonCube is quite widely used now, plenty of shared hosting packages come with it as standard because large software companies use it, one example is Invision Power Board. So I wouldn't worry too much about people having to install it on their servers.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:10 PM

Oh yeah! Then ionCube might be a good option. Do you think there's a list where I can get web hosting companies (shared hosting) that supports ionCube by default?

Old 01-14-2015, 04:13 PM
Contributing Member

http://www.whoishostingthis.com/compare/ioncube/

That gives a few, but there are definitely plenty out there.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:15 PM

99% of web hosting providers have ioncube install on their servers. It's a fairly common php module.

If I'm not wrong then you can also install it on shared hosting if it's not installed by default.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilal414 View Post
99% of web hosting providers have ioncube install on their servers. It's a fairly common php module.

If I'm not wrong then you can also install it on shared hosting if it's not installed by default.
To install it you need SSH access, but like you said, most hosts have it anyway.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:17 PM
Contributing Member

I wouldn't, personally.

If I were in your situation, I would release it as Free Software under the Affero GNU Public License, such that anyone who uses it in their project is required to make their project's source code available to the world under the same license. Many non-developers are not comfortable with the idea of publishing their source code, so I would also offer a commercial licensing option, for $X00, or $X,000 or $X0,000 depending on how much value you create for the person who uses your script. (MIT License is a good option here, because they still must credit you for the work.)

Ioncube, ZendGuard, PHPShadow? They're all trivially breakable by debugging tools. Don't bother.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

I wouldn't want to use ioncube. I don't have it installed on my server (found when I went to try a script). When I realized it wasn't installed, I just dumped the script. I believe the files must be uploaded in Binary mode as well (via FTP).

You could try doing something like base64encode. This will simply hide the code. Anyone could go to a free online decrypter and get the code if they want to (but they can do that with anything). I think it's a good balance between compatibility and a hurdle to stop the casual pirate.

Something like
$string = "fjdsalfjslfjasfjakdlfjals";
eval(base64decode($string));

A good free tool you should look at:
http://www.phpprotect.info/

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Closed Thread