Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Share |
Old 09-25-2015, 06:55 PM

Displaying Data from And Writing Data To MySQL Database

Hello everyone. I just registered and I've got a bit of a problem. I have a database already created. I will be manually adding more of the records to the database but one of my fields for each record is rank and I want to place a buttons on my website so the visitors can like songs and I want that rank field to increment by 1 every time the button is pressed. I also have a tab box on the home page where I want to query the database and display the top 10 songs by rank. Finally I want to display a random song name every 10 seconds.

Now I'm comfortable with html and css but totally clueless when it comes to php and javascript. I thought it would be easy enough to find a tutorial or website that would walk me through doing this. Unfortunately every site I've looked at assumes the user has some understanding of php. It's all a bunch of letters and symbols to me. I was wondering if anyone knows of a site that would show me how to do this. I mean I need to be told the exact code and where to put it on my page. everything from how to connect to the database to updating it and pulling data from it to display on my site. I'm sorry for the wall of text. Thanks for taking time to read this.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-30-2015, 06:31 PM
The Controversial Coder

It's difficult to help without you posting a link and/or code to work with, but to display the top 10 songs by rank it is fairly simple depending on your database structure - hopefully you will have something like an amount_played column in the database, so then you can just attach a SQL query into PHP such as:

PHP Code:
SELECT FROM database ORDER BY amount_played 
You could work with the query to get it to do what you wanted, such as LIMIT/TOP arguments etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeelmore View Post
I mean I need to be told the exact code and where to put it on my page. everything from how to connect to the database to updating it and pulling data from it to display on my site. I'm sorry for the wall of text. Thanks for taking time to read this.
Unfortunately you're not going to get many people who tell you how to develop your entire database driven website, as that's a good chunk of work for someone over the internet to do for free.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator

I know nothing about HTML5. Prior to that there was no way for HTML to be used to push or pull info from a MySQL database. The pages had to be code pages like php or asp.

HTML can exist on a php page. An HTML form can be used to post data to a php page.

I guess I'm saying you have a lot of studying ahead of you.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum