Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 02-24-2016, 10:48 AM

Rewriting database tables

I apologize if this post comes across as convoluted. I've been trying to work out how to articulate this for a while.

So I've come across a problem that has been perplexing me for months now.

A few years back I wrote a few scripts for a website back when it was starting up. The script worked fine for the needs of the client and it's users and that pretty much was that.

Five years, many many programmers, and about 50k users later, the scripts I wrote for the site had gone through so many changes and so many new stuff have been added/changes that it has made the feature very slow. When investigating the reason behind the lag, I concluded that it was due to so many indexes that need to be update on each INSERT/UPDATE query -- most in which aren't used as often. Some of these indexes consume more space than the table's data themselves (not sure if this is normal or not).

I've been offered the task of redoing these script which I am more than happy to do. I've learn so much since originally doing them and can implement many new technologies to make it even faster and consume less resources. The problem is, to implement many of these new changes I need to restructure the DB tables themselves. At first, I thought it would be as simple as cloning the tables and making changes to the col names/types, but something odd happened. When rewriting these values, the primary identifier for many of the results changed too! I could just rewrite the scripts and reuse the current tables, but many of the indexes set will not be used anymore which will speed up the new scripts but greatly lag the existing (the old scripts and tables will still be in use while I develop the new).

How would I go by creating new DB tables with the existing information while keeping the primary identifier correct on them?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-13-2016, 07:24 PM
Contributing Member

@Nameless: Greetings!

The are some software that do what you wish for, just google it and you will find. Some are free with limited options, but some are not and they cost between $49 and $200.

Best regards with your project!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Closed Thread