Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Share |
Old 01-22-2017, 01:04 PM
Administrator

What’s the Best Programming Language to Learn?

Every once in a while we get someone asking which programming language to learn and as noted in this article, everyone will have an opinion from their own favorite experience.

Quote:
...No developer has experience in every language. Some will have good knowledge of several, but no one can offer an unbiased choice. Whatever language a developer chooses and uses daily becomes their preferred option. They will passionately defend that decision because, if they can’t, they’d switch to something else.

Other developers can offer lessons learned from their experiences. That is useful information, but you’re unlikely to have identical aspirations. To flip this on its head, seek opinions from developers who’ve been forced to use a particular language or framework: the majority will hate that technology. Why trust someone else to make a decision for you?...

...There’s no “Best Language”...

...You cannot choose the “wrong” language; all development knowledge is good knowledge. Perhaps picking COBOL for an iOS game isn’t the best choice, but you’d quickly discover it was impractical and learn something about the language which was useful elsewhere....

...If you’re genuinely interested in development, pick a small project, choose a language, dig out some tutorials and get going....
What’s the Best Programming Language to Learn in 2017?
January 18, 2017

If you are into stats those are included in the referenced article.

To get a valuable answer to your question we would need to know what you are planning to build or where you are looking to get a job.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-17-2017, 09:07 PM
Contributing Member

A client of mine recently hired a developer for a project that got shelved under the most hilarious of circumstances. A few months into the project (which involved building an online marketplace) it turned out that the developer only knew php & had no knowledge whatsoever of HTML/CSS. His plan all along was to take a readymade template & to customise it. The also project involved making hybrid apps wherein the mobile web interface would have rendered inside Android & iOS shells, so his plan wouldn't have worked out. The project was already underway, with deadlines, so he couldn't have learnt the missing pieces on the fly either.

So the plan was ultimately shelved, but before that happened, no one ever bothered to ask & the developer didn't bother to tell! So I'd say that the best combination of languages for anyone to learn is that which allows you to deliver a complete job.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:08 AM
Contributing Member

For the beginner HTML and CSS are the good languages to start web development easily..

Old 03-07-2017, 03:43 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin smith View Post
For the beginner HTML and CSS are the good languages to start web development easily..
It would be helpful if you read the opening post, the linked blog post then posted a quality reply.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:31 PM
Contributing Member

PHP is going down day by day

Old 03-08-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altssolution View Post
I Know some programming but not an expert. Last year I moved my blog to PHP7.

Is that good as that's the latest version for a wordpress blog.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin smith View Post
As I know html and css are not the program languages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
Every once in a while we get someone asking which programming language to learn and as noted in this article, everyone will have an opinion from their own favorite experience.

If you are into stats those are included in the referenced article.

To get a valuable answer to your question we would need to know what you are playing to build or where you are looking to get a job.

I have seen Ruby on rails grow very fast. In Japan and some Asian countries are beginning to love ror.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:19 AM

you are 100% right. There’s no "Best Language"
It also depends what you want to do. Do you want to learn Web development? or you want to create mobile app?

For beginners, i suggest learning C++ at start. it will build you "logic" and you will understand the "fundamentals" and "core" concepts of Programming. and then all other languages will become easy for you to learn...

Later in your life you will work with other languages too.
I my self is doing development for 5-6 years now. and i worked with alot of new languages and frameworks. and i actually like to learn new and cool stuff because thats one of the things that make me keep going because i get bored working with 1 language/framework.

Last edited by DevOOPS; 04-15-2017 at 02:20 AM. Reason: typing mistake

Old 04-22-2017, 12:19 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altssolution View Post
What is replacing it? I think PHP still is top choice for small to mid sized websites. By mid sized I mean around a million or two million users per month...
probably more...

Old 04-22-2017, 12:53 AM

html css is the first and basic learn web design language. If you have gather all html and css code, i think you will be a perfect design .

Old 04-22-2017, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeet View Post
What is replacing it? I think PHP still is top choice for small to mid sized websites. By mid sized I mean around a million or two million users per month...
probably more...
I dont get this php is going down either.

But in programming there's this very strong bias where the languages you use are the best and the rest will not exist in 5 years. I've heard and read this in forums for years.

If you use any version of C you hate the python guys, if you're a ruby guy ou hate the php programmer. It's always been this way.

To me it all comes down to context:
want to build a website: you should probably learn html(css) and then pick php or ruby.

Want to build some scripts on your pc where interface doesn't matter? then the game changes.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

Android application creator and developer is one of the best and useful language that I say. Because Now a day android operating system demand is now increasing the credit goes to new technology introduced & google. This language is used in smart tv, mobile, watches and android different things.

Old 04-22-2017, 01:58 PM

I agree that learning how to create app's for Android and IPhone can be a money maker. A lot of bloggers are getting app's made to reach more people though there app's. There are plugins to create apps but in my opinion, I rather have a custom app created with features I want and also what features can the developer provide that makes the app useful to get.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:45 PM

The truth is there are many languages that can do exactly what you want, and then there are languages that are tailored to exactly what you are trying to achieve. The real question is what do you want to do? there may be multiple answers for one project.

If you want to do server side development, you may choose PHP due to all of the resources you can find online for it, and also the community surrounding it. This is probably the best option for new programmers. Learning it will also help with editing WordPress templates, which is widely used. Most server-side development jobs use PHP.

You could also use python just as well as php for server side development. Maybe someone would choose python for it's readability, also you can use it for desktop based applications, which would be harder to do if not impossible with PHP. It's not exclusively for server side programming, but has less resources to learn from when it comes to server-side development and python. There are less jobs for python server-side development, but when you do get one they pay more than you would get with PHP because less people are trained to do it. Both python and PHP can develop server side applications and probably do what you need, but it has pros and cons.

So, what are you trying to do? Find out, then find a language that works for you.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:28 PM

for jobs I'm kinda biased towards php and general html5/css3 stuff as most ready to hire/pay clients will need something for their small or personal contracts. Unless you are under a contract or part of a larger team, finding quick and do-able work is imperative.

my bias toward php is also reflected by how well the language works as a 'general' object/ui toolkit, as big data or meta stuff with xml or json easily plays well with php.

Old 06-25-2017, 04:20 AM
Contributing Member

after reading sitepoint article
it is to difficult to choose what is the best?
as of my knowledge
Learn some basic C Program after that Learn Java and Oracle.
it is best way to enter as a developer.
but industry changed year by year
but java is standard programming

Old 06-26-2017, 06:50 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarbjitGrewal View Post
Numerous programming languages are in demand of technology companies and each one has its own competences. If you are beginner then you should start from HTML, CSS, JavaScript and PHP for programming.
Why should beginners start with these languages? Please back up your answer. Beginners should learn these languages because______________ (fill in the blank).

Old 07-02-2017, 10:18 PM

Answer if want to become a web developer

As you posted this in web development post then you must be pursuing for a web development field so for my recommendation is build your basics first from HTML and CSS and then learn javascript and php then try to learn advanced level languages and topics like angular js and other languages

Old 07-02-2017, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmathews View Post
As you posted this in web development post then you must be pursuing for a web development field so for my recommendation is build your basics first from HTML and CSS and then learn javascript and php then try to learn advanced level languages and topics like angular js and other languages
Actually, it was a rhetorical question in the title. If you had read the opening post before replying you (like others who don't read beyond the title) would have known that.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:59 PM

No such language to learn

You can start from html onto css and java php and all.
Get the step by step details at Freecodecamp.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum