Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 04-14-2018, 01:53 PM

Need Some Help - Trying To Learn How To Make Website Responsive

So I belong to a club and have taken on the responsibility of creating and maintaining a website for the club. A year ago I started to make the site responsive, but was told by the club president that it wasn't necessary so I stopped. Now it has necessary and I am really stuck.

I am no expert with CSS or html and while it looks like I was on the right path last year with making the sight responsive, it was only working down to a certain size. After that it all goes to crap in a basket.

I have no clue what to do to fix the couple of areas that need to be fixed. I am hoping someone here would be willing to take a look at my code and tell me what I am doing wrong and how to fix it. And please, if you are going to attempt to explain something to me, please explain the same way you would to a complete moron. I am a very slow learner.

The url to the site is Butler County's Best RC Flying Club-The BAMS. (Please disregard everything above "Welcome To The BAMS").

Where I am having a problem is first, how do I get the page small enough to seen on a smartphone?

The second problem is how do I go about getting the nav menu in the left column to change over to the hamburger looking menu thing when it starts to reduce in size when being viewed on something smaller than desktop view?

If this is not very descriptive, I apologize. I am still trying to learn all of this and I don't know all the correct terminology to describe what I am trying to so and what isn't working.

Thanks in advance . . .

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-14-2018, 04:45 PM
Contributing Member

You don't really have a lot going on there. IMO, I'd just grab a working, responsive WordPress theme, and start over again. Sometimes it's easier to start over, than to try and adapt something that exists, into something else.

2 cents.

PS - I've answered your next question in the other forum. I won't duplicate that answer here.

Last edited by LMD; 04-14-2018 at 04:53 PM. Reason: add

Old 04-14-2018, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

If you don't like WordPress webflow is hands down the best responsive designer with the most flexible options and ability for custom HTML and CSS.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:17 AM

Hi,
if you dont want to code manually media queries (they apply css styles depending on client screen size) I'd just use something like bootstrap grid or materializecss grid - have a look at these, I think one of them will perfectly suit your needs.

They allow for markup more or less like that:
div class="col-xs-12 col-sm-12 col-lg-4 col-xl-6"

The grid usually have 12 columns so above something like this div...:
- takes whole width of the screen if it's on extra small (xs) and small devices (sm)
> takes 1/3rd of the screen width on large screens (col-lg-4),
-> takes half of the screen on extra large screens (col-xl-6)

Last edited by SeoDoncaster; 04-25-2018 at 10:18 AM. Reason: typo

Old 05-24-2018, 08:32 PM

Bootstrap is a great framework for building responsive Website.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Closed Thread