Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Share |
Old 12-10-2006, 05:14 AM

Spoiler tag in HTML - mysterious code!

Hello there, and thanks for letting me join the community.
As you've probably guessed, I've come because I need help! So... please help!

A nice little function you can find on several forums is the 'spoiler' function. I wish to implement this into HTML for other uses, so I went to a random forum, copied the spoiler code from the source and copied it to a HTML file. It was a success, but unfortunately, it only works for one spoiler per page. Here is the code, which I suspect is Java:
Code:
<div style="margin-bottom:2px"> Spoiler: <input type="button" value="Display" style="width:65px;font-size:10px;margin:0px;padding:0px;" onclick="if (this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display != '') { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = ''; this.innerText = ''; this.value = 'Hide'; } else { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = 'none'; this.innerText = ''; this.value = 'Display'; }"> </div> <div style="margin: 0px; padding: 6px; border: 1px inset;"> <div style="display: none;"> Spoiler!<br /> <br /> Spoiler!<br /> <br /> Spoiler! </div> </div>

And if you wish to try it, I have made an HTML page with two spoilers:
Code:
<html> <head></head> <body> <strong>Why doesn't this work?</strong><br /><br /> <div style="margin-bottom:2px"> Spoiler: <input type="button" value="Display" style="width:65px;font-size:10px;margin:0px;padding:0px;" onclick="if (this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display != '') { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = ''; this.innerText = ''; this.value = 'Hide'; } else { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = 'none'; this.innerText = ''; this.value = 'Display'; }"> </div> <div style="margin: 0px; padding: 6px; border: 1px inset;"> <div style="display: none;"> Spoiler!<br /> <br /> Spoiler!<br /> <br /> Spoiler! </div> </div> <br /><br /> <div style="margin-bottom:0px"> Spoiler2: <input type="button" value="Display" style="width:65px;font-size:10px;margin:0px;padding:0px;" onclick="if (this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display != '') { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = ''; this.innerText = ''; this.value = 'Hide'; } else { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = 'none'; this.innerText = ''; this.value = 'Display'; }"> </div> <div style="margin: 0px; padding: 6px; border: 1px inset;"> <div style="display: none;"> Spoiler2!<br /> <br /> Spoiler2!<br /> <br /> Spoiler2! </div> </div> </body> </html>
Both buttons open the first spoiler, and I've tried changing the 'div' reference and I've tried changing the numbers in what appears to be Java arrays, but then the second one doesn't work at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and see you later!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-10-2006, 08:14 AM

I just want to add that I don't necessarily want to use this spoiler.
If you have another one that works (javascript/php etc.) I would gladly use that one in stead!

Old 12-12-2006, 04:22 AM

Well, thanks for the help...

But I fixed this on my own! Just pack the spoiler in sufficient <div> tags, and they will work seperately!

Old 12-12-2006, 01:04 PM
v7n Mentor

Dang, you got to your own question before I did Math I usually am always here answering questions when I can.

BUT! Look on the bright side, you figured it out all on your own, that's always a sign of improvement.

++ Rep

Old 12-12-2006, 01:26 PM
v7n Mentor

See Izzmo, told you that you were needed!! Didn't even think about giving MathStud rep for solving his own problem. Nice!!

Old 12-12-2006, 06:22 PM

Heey!

Thanks guys!

Old 12-13-2006, 12:31 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltos View Post
See Izzmo, told you that you were needed!! Didn't even think about giving MathStud rep for solving his own problem. Nice!!
lol, well thank you sir!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum