Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 01-07-2007, 04:21 PM

how do i add a comment section to my website

how do i add a comment section to my website i want to know how to add a section to my website that allows people to comment on something, similar to what youtube has

Old 01-08-2007, 09:28 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Hi kf9211!

Your questions is a little too broad for an answer here. You have a few general options and lots of shade in between these options.

1. Find a template for your website that has comments section already built in.
2. Find Content Management System that allows comments (not a highly recommended option unless you don't know any html or coding)
3. Find a script that would add comments options.
4. Code one yourself.

There are a lot more options than these and lots of options in between these. What kind of site do you have? How much web development knowledge do you have? How much research have you already done on what options you have?

Have fun.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltos View Post
Hi kf9211!

Your questions is a little too broad for an answer here. You have a few general options and lots of shade in between these options.

1. Find a template for your website that has comments section already built in.
2. Find Content Management System that allows comments (not a highly recommended option unless you don't know any html or coding)
3. Find a script that would add comments options.
4. Code one yourself.

There are a lot more options than these and lots of options in between these. What kind of site do you have? How much web development knowledge do you have? How much research have you already done on what options you have?

Have fun.
my website allows you to watch episodes of yakitate japan which is an anime I have very little web developement knowledge I only know a little html I have done some research but not a lot on my options. I was thinking about getting a script that allows comments. I can't create one because I don't have enough knowlege of html or java script or other scripting languages. Where would I find these scripts? I have checked multiple websites already for a script that would allow me to do this but I could not find one. Also another question I have is what would the scripting language be that I would use? Javascript?

Thank you

Old 01-09-2007, 09:49 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

For something like the comments section, you really need a script that can talk to a database and keep the comments in the database. I would not use javascript for that. My personal preference would be PHP talking to a MySQL database. This is a pretty common combination.

If you search for "php comment script" or for "php guestbook script" you will get LOTS of results. The challenge will be to pick one out that works OK. I haven't used any myself so I can't make a recommendation for you.

I would recommend doing the search and enough reading to have a couple that sound promising. Then, post a new topic asking for comments on your selected scripts or other similar ones. That is a little more targeted question and shows you have put some effort into it yourself. People will be much more likely to respond if they see you have put some effort into it.

Good Luck.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:54 PM

Thank you so much for helping me. I'll try doing that.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:30 PM
Latest Blog:
None

I'm rather sure you have what's called Microsoft Paint or the equivalent on your computer somewhere or something better, draw up a labled set of pictures showing how it'll be displayed and how they'll enter it, and let me know if they'll need an account first and I'll see what I can make for you, I know PHP and MySQL. I went to a summer college type thing called Governor's School for it, litterally for making log in and log out pages, and comment and reply pages, among a few other things. So let me use my skills to help you, make the diagrams and I'll make the pages.

Old 01-10-2007, 04:34 PM

Thank you for helping me
Heres an example of what I want it to look like

If possible I would like the bg color of the box that has the text in it that people typed to be c0c0c0 and the bg of the non text area to be white. if you have any more questions about what you want it to look like feel free to ask. again thank you so much for helping

kf9211
Attached Thumbnails
how do i add a comment section to my website-commentboxexampleofwhatiwantitto-looklike.bmp  

Old 01-12-2007, 12:44 AM

If you are still in need of this, I use this on a lot of sites, works great http://www.gentlesource.com/comment-script/

Old 06-04-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf9211 View Post
kf9211
kf9211 I am interested in a similar guestbook. Did you ever get an answer from Arenlor.

Have you solved your problem?

Can you help me solve my problem?

Thanks

Mola

Old 06-11-2008, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

is that comment script customizable? i tried it in the admin area but didn't see an option to customize the look of it

Old 09-11-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
is that comment script customizable? i tried it in the admin area but didn't see an option to customize the look of it
The layout can be customized by editing the HTML template and the CSS file.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:11 PM
xo mudslide

this thread is like...old.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Closed Thread