Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Share |
Old 03-30-2007, 12:46 PM
v7n Mentor

Tables vs divs and boxes in css question

Hi all,

It's me again. I was thinking at this point of possibly restructing my pages with css only. Right now someone helped me with some css in general and wrote the stuff for me for my pages.

Now I was thinking of ditching the tables in my html and using css instead, since all my html pages have the same format and layout anyways. Make it alot easier for me to update pages with just css.

Anyways, I've been reading different tutorials and it's mind boggling to me. My first thing is: which would be easier to use keeping my 3 column format in tact. Should I use the div or box to replace all my tables ??

And the maybe tougher question to me anyways.
When I finally decide which way to go, what would be the easiest way to fix my pages ?

Would it be add the css and then manually remove the tables in the html ??

Thanks in advance,
Linda

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-30-2007, 01:05 PM
v7n Mentor

Got your PM so here I am
Lots of questions in there Linda so I'll try to take them one at a time.

The only overpowering reason to update from tables to CSS and divs is if you want to learn that stuff. Currently, it doesn't seem to make any difference in rankings, etc. I think it will eventually make a difference but not yet.

If you decide to change over, the first decision to make is will you use a static 3 column format (which is probably what you have now) or try to go with a fluid 3 column layout. I would strongly recommend as a first project, doing a static 3 column layout.

I would also recommend starting from a completely blank page and build up to duplicate your current layout. CSS is awesome IMO and much more flexible. It can have a steep learning curve right at the start but it levels out pretty quickly also, IMO. This means you will learn a lot and ask a lot of questions starting out but once you get the feel for it, it will be OK from there. I say start with the blank page because this will be easier to learn from than trying to convert what you have over to CSS and divs.

Do you use Dreamweaver? It has some nice templating features that can help convert the sites one you have duplicated the look and feel with CSS and divs.

It just dawned on me to look at the site in your signature. Is that the site you are talking about converting?

Old 03-30-2007, 01:45 PM
v7n Mentor

Taltos,

You are amazing ! Thanks for all the advice already. Yes it's the site in my signature, the collectibles site.

I don't have dreamweaver, I have no learning curve !!

I use html kit, I'm not sure if you're familiar with it, but its fairly easy to use for dolts like me

I like to learn new stuff, but I start slow then something will finally kick in. Alot of times I'll read stuff, and once someone points something out about what I read, then it makes sense, Most Times !

Linda

Old 03-30-2007, 02:39 PM
v7n Mentor

I don't know about amazing but glad to help. That site wouldn't be too difficult to convert to CSS. It is a nice clean layout with 3 obvious columns. I took a quick look at a description of HTML Kit and it looks like a good solid editor. That means you are actually hand coding things which is good.

I would strongly suggest just playing a little bit with the CSS style sheets and using divs instead of tables. Start by trying to get a page that shows the header area all the way across the top, and three column below. In CSS style sheets it is easy to specify a background color for a div. Just give each area a different obnoxious color so you can tell exactly where each area is. Then you can build from there.

I would also strongly recommend googling "CSS float tutorial" or something very similar. I haven't really used any so I can't recommend one. Some of the weird things that happen as you learn to use float are were the learning curve hits. A good tutorial, and there are lots of tutorials on this, will help a lot.

Have fun!

Old 03-30-2007, 06:44 PM
v7n Mentor

Thanks Taltos,

I'm thinking I'll be back in about 6 months or so, like I said I got no learning curve !

Or I'll be back in 10 mins with questions

Thanks I'll be going to read and do research now, and working on blowing up my test page over and over again, but be forewarned, when I start getting bruises and bleeding from beating my head against the desk, I'll be back.

Have a good one,
Linda

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum