Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Share |
Old 09-02-2007, 08:38 PM

Question Hyper-link problem

I want to add in a hyper-link and the editor has a simple button which I click and then I am supposed to type in the URL. It gives me a lot of options as to htttp/ftp/file, and a few others I have no idea about.

I understand how to link to another page on the web, just insert the URL and click OK.

My problem is that I want to create a link to download my uploaded files (zipped and pdf), and to open a pdf file in a new browser for the user to read immediately on line.

My directory comes with two sub-directories (ie this is how it was set up when I received the account), one is titled public_ftp and the other is public_html (which has a - cgbin). Which one of these should I be uploading my files to and then what do I need to type to make a link to a) open the pdf files in a new browser b) dowload the pdf and zipped files.

I might need step by step instructions (eg saying "type in the path" will elicit the response of what would the path be? - or what is a path?)

Thanks All

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-02-2007, 10:03 PM

Just toss everything in your public_html folder.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:19 PM

What Editor are you using?

To open the pdf files in a new browser, you should set the Target to new.
Look for the word TARGET in the options when you create the Link.

The zipped files will be downloaded automatically when the visitor clicks on the link.

The pdf files could be downloaded or shown by the browser depending upon whether the visitor's Browser settings.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:56 AM

Toss it all into the html file - should I create sub directories here, or would that make things worse?

What editor? - I am not sure, it is the editor that comes with the hosting package, (vdeck - start logic) I will check next time.

Kaykays, your answer was quite helpful, but I don't seem to have this option of selecting a target.

I think my biggest problem is what to actually type as a file path or URL to get to the files in questions and get them to do what I want (open the pdf, or download the zipped file) when they get there.

The link button works fine with a link to another webpage, but its getting to the files I have uploaded that is the problem

Thanks for the help thus far

Old 09-07-2007, 04:07 AM
Coding Tiger

Quote:
Kaykays, your answer was quite helpful, but I don't seem to have this option of selecting a target.
<a href="somePage.htm" target="_blank"></a>

Old 09-07-2007, 04:55 AM

Quote:
I think my biggest problem is what to actually type as a file path or URL to get to the files in questions and get them to do what I want (open the pdf, or download the zipped file) when they get there.
You can give either the relative filename or the filename with full url.

Relative URL could be of type pdf-folder/pdffilename.pdf

Avoid spaces in names of files and folders.

Quote:
The link button works fine with a link to another webpage, but its getting to the files I have uploaded that is the problem
If the link button works, so should pdf and zip, there is no difference.

Quote:
If you don't have the option to select the target, you can edit the
HTML source and add the TAG as suggested by Costin Trifan above.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:15 AM

Thanks for the helpful replies.

The problem seems to have been related to another problem I wasn't understanding.

I was told to change the index.html file to my own index.html file, and I didn't really understand this instruction, because if I did that it would still be an index.html file (wouldn't it?) Otherwise, I had no idea what to actually replace it with.

As it turns out, once I published the site to the net, this file was overwritten and I didn't need to worry about it anymore. It seems that changing this file was important in getting the right path to the files. So, whenever I was trying the links they were not working.

but your replies have been helpful none the less - and faster than support - as they have given me a deeper unerstanding of the whole process, rather than just the magic button.

Just for the record the editor I am using is HTML Area 3.0

Thanks again

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum