Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 10-10-2008, 09:07 PM
No Longer Active

Alaska panel finds Palin abused power in firing

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j...2YOxwD93O1US80

Quote:
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Sarah Palin unlawfully abused her power as governor by trying to have her former brother-in-law fired as a state trooper, the chief investigator of an Alaska legislative panel concluded Friday. The politically charged inquiry imperiled her reputation as a reformer on John McCain's Republican ticket.
I guess she'll fit right in with the rest of the neocons in the white house if McCain gets elected.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

This story, to me, seems much more relevant to her character than her daughter, her child, the bridge, etc.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:34 AM
v7n Mentor

I will reserve passing judgment on this until after
Quote:
Under Alaska law, it is up to the state's Personnel Board — which is conducting its own investigation into the matter — to decide whether Palin violated state law and, if so, must refer it to the Senate president for disciplinary action. Violations also carry a possible fine of up to $5,000.
That investigation is done, and the political stress of the election is not present.

Statements like this one I think require that we do so
Quote:
Stapleton also dismissed the report as "a partisan-led inquiry run by Obama supporters." The inquiry has been dogged by such criticism since Democrat Hollis French, who oversaw the investigation, predicted an "October surprise" for the McCain campaign.

Old 10-11-2008, 04:20 AM
No Longer Active

Gamerslink, I'm aware that the Palin camp in a reaction has declared that this ethics commission was partisan democrat biased, however, I've read somewhere that this commission's statement was signed by both democrats and republicans onboard of that panel.

I tried to find a list online of how hat panel was composed and couldn't find it, but as long as I have not seen the evidence that this panel was exclusively compiled from democrats I just take that "partisan democrats panel" complaint as hogwash.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

So, let's get Palin out of the race for this, Obama out if that RICO hoopla in Chicago pans out and we'll see if we can take out the other two remaining candidates as well.
Then maybe Ron Paul has a shot.

I mean... if he's running against nobody, I would hope he is able to win.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:27 AM
v7n Mentor

I really don't think it matters anymore. It's not about Palin or McCain at this point and it's certainly not about ethics. Short of something really strange happening this one is in the books.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:44 AM
v7n Mentor

Actually if you read the actual report, and not simply listen to the headlines of the media, it clearly states that Gov. Palin did in fact have the right with or without cause to reassign or fire Mogen. The abuse of power was actually directed at her husband having access to the Chief of police through her office about the x-brother in-law issue. It also goes on to state that when Gov. Palin contacted the Police Chief the Chief said we shouldn't be talking about this, you should have your husband talk to me about this.

It's also a fact that Mogen is partial to French who is a chief political adversary of the Governor's and a major contributing factor as to the reasoning behind the release of Mogen. Who by the way French's wife also worked for.

Another statement, the one that brings in the Alaska Ethics law, that may or may not actually cover this particular situation, as it's interpretation is quite debatable. The statement is made "It is likely that she allowed her personal feelings to contribute to her decision making"

A very non-conclusive and far reaching statement. So again, I'll reserve judgment until the actual department that is charged with investigating such things completes it's investigation, the Personnel Dept. The fact that the Legislature was even performing this investigation actually raises a separation of powers question in Alaska's governmental structure.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferre View Post
Gamerslink, I'm aware that the Palin camp in a reaction has declared that this ethics commission was partisan democrat biased, however, I've read somewhere that this commission's statement was signed by both democrats and republicans onboard of that panel.

I tried to find a list online of how hat panel was composed and couldn't find it, but as long as I have not seen the evidence that this panel was exclusively compiled from democrats I just take that "partisan democrats panel" complaint as hogwash.
You certainly have a simplistic view of party politics here.

Sarah Palin won the governorship by defeating an incumbent governor from her own party. She made a lot of powerful Republicans very unhappy when she defeated their chosen candidate in the primary election.

Just because a panel wasn't made up exclusively of "partisan democrats" doesn't mean that there wasn't a good deal of political motivation driving its operation and conclusions.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:16 AM

Troopergate + Keaton 5, awesome.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:21 AM
v7n Mentor

Keaton 5 was something that McCain was completely resolved from, and doesn't even closely compare to what Obama has been involved in since 1989 so I wouldn't depend on that as a basis for a strong attack on McCain-Palin. And if you have question about trooper gate, read the actual report, or have someone that understands it explain it to you.

By the way, even French himself states within the 263 pg report that when the charges against the trooper x brother in-law were made the law in Alaska prevented the complaining party from being notified of anything that was going on with the case. This law he said has since been changed and undoubtedly caused undo frustration to the Palin's The initial complaint was filed by Gov. Palin's father before she was elected Gov.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Contributing Member

am not actually surprised!I always thought that mccain's campaign is smelly!

Old 10-12-2008, 03:33 PM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss View Post
am not actually surprised!I always thought that mccain's campaign is smelly!
From where I'm looking at it, the republicans and democrats are trying to outsmell eachother.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:09 AM
v7n Mentor

I look at it this way. If I were stoned, I'd probably share your opinions too.

If this is the worst thing that Palin has done, then I think she's probably the better candidate out there.

Regardless, the McCain camp new about this already, and if they thought it mattered one bit, they would have chosen someone else.

It's nice to see someone is trying to clean house, abuse or not, she's apparently about getting the job done for the right reasons. Its not like she associates with known domestic terrorists or anything.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues