Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 10-11-2008, 08:58 AM
Contributing Member

Question Do you vote? [US Citizens ONLY]

I am curious to my fellow Americans on who votes and doesn't vote.

I am a registered Independent, and I haven't voted since I turned 18 and I am now 22. Why don't I vote? Because I choose too. And also the fact I don't want to vote for the wrong candidate, and later regret it when he screws up bad.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-11-2008, 09:08 AM

No, I don't vote. It's just never made good sense to me to do so, even 36 years ago. Our political system has just never felt right to me, like.. something was eerily wrong, so I decided against it at around age 17. I'm now age 54 and have never voted in a political election.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:54 AM

I didn't really know exactly why I decided not to vote in political elections back then, it just seemed too fake is what I recall, the campaigning and all, the speeches.., bickering etc.. lies..

but I, now in my 50's, have come to discover what I believe might have caused the feelings. Corruption. I didn't really understand what political corruption was back then, I just knew something didn't feel right about voting and the whole political system. I think I understand now. Sad really.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:04 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom View Post
I didn't really know exactly why I decided not to vote in political elections back then, it just seemed too fake is what I recall, the campaigning and all, the speeches.., bickering etc.. lies..

but I, now in my 50's, have come to discover what I believe might have caused the feelings. Corruption. I didn't really understand what political corruption was back then, I just knew something didn't feel right about voting and the whole political system. I think I understand now. Sad really.
I agree. There is way too much corruption in todays politics. Also don't like it when candidates make fake speeches promising this and that just to get the publics vote.

Bush promised this and that, and look what happened. We are now having an economic meltdown.

Old 10-11-2008, 04:34 PM

I have never voted and am 47 I believe politicians are corrupt and represent big corporations interests. I will vote this year to keep the lesser of 2 evils out.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:34 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dWhite View Post
I agree. There is way too much corruption in todays politics. Also don't like it when candidates make fake speeches promising this and that just to get the publics vote.

Bush promised this and that, and look what happened. We are now having an economic meltdown.
I vote, I have voted ever since I was able. There may not be a perfect candidate, but there are people who have better qualifications than others, and better character than others. I have voted Democrat, Republican, and Independent as the ticket led me. It all depends on who is on the ticket and who I find in my judgment would be the best choice of that given. My not voting wouldn't be a loud statement of defiance towards governmental practices, it would be a loss of common sense leaving one less person that votes on actual information rather than what they are told or emotionally motivated to do.

Check out this reading
http://www.postchronicle.com/cgi-bin...=93&num=175193

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/ob...id=VIDURVNWS11

http://www.cnbc.com/id/26942897/

And you should really read this one, it explains it very well I think.
http://patriotsandliberty.com/?p=2883

Old 10-13-2008, 06:13 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
I have never voted and am 47 I believe politicians are corrupt and represent big corporations interests. I will vote this year to keep the lesser of 2 evils out.
I think you meant "to keep the lesser of the two evils in"?

Old 10-13-2008, 08:50 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dWhite View Post
I am curious to my fellow Americans on who votes and doesn't vote.

I am a registered Independent, and I haven't voted since I turned 18 and I am now 22. Why don't I vote? Because I choose too. And also the fact I don't want to vote for the wrong candidate, and later regret it when he screws up bad.
Understood. So long as you do not complain about the outcome of any election, or the results generated over time by the winner, I have no problem with you failing to exercise your right.

I vote, and it's pretty apparent it not only counts, but is certainly necessary as close as things have become.

This includes voting at the local level. Many do not realize that when they go to vote, there are generally referendums on the ballot that affect you directly in your local community. Later, many that do not vote bitch about why their property taxes went up, or why the school got a new swimming pool, or whatever. Meanwhile, it was a referendum that passed or failed when they were not voting.

I'm of the opinion that if you do not vote, you've got no right to express any gripes, complaints or praise for anything as it concerns the outcome of an election.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:38 AM
xo mudslide

I agree with Mia here - I have voted since the first election that I was old enough to do so.

Can you imagine if a larger percentage of americans ACTUALLY VOTED?! It would be simply amazing....

Old 10-13-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xentech View Post
I think you meant "to keep the lesser of the two evils in"?
+1

BTW, this is Atom, I had to re-register with a different username/IP, as my real IP is being intermittently blocked and I've not found the cause yet.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

I'm 58 and have voted in every presidential election and 99% of all non-primary (November) elections since I first registered at the age of 18.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

Regardless of whether you vote or not, you are seriously impacted by the outcome of the election. No matter if the outcome is positive or negative in your opinion.

I always vote.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:49 PM
v7n Mentor

I am 25 and I have voted in every election since I became eligible to vote at 18, and I don't mean just presidential elections. 2 per year, spring and fall. I feel it is my duty as an American to do so. I have also written my congressman, which actually works and got results.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:55 PM
Contributing Member

I vote in every general election, but I don't vote for everything. I skip like half of the ballot or more.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:04 PM
Banned

No, I don't vote.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:22 AM
v7n Mentor

I am umm 40 something and I have voted in every election, local, state and national since I reached voting age.

I might not always like or agree with the politicians on every issue, but I still vote.

I'm thankful I'm in a country where I can vote, and I'm also thankful I'm in a country where when voting for the leader of my country there is more than ONE name to choose from. Even if all the candidates are doorknobs, at least I can pick where doorknob to cast my vote for.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:23 AM
v7n Mentor

Seems the dead vote more than the living lately. That an cartoon characters.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:03 PM
v7n Mentor

I've voted since I was legal to do so.

For those who like to see high voter turnouts, you'll be happy to know that Obama has his ACORN buddies out in full force registering homeless to vote as many times as they can muster using as many YMCA addresses as the city has available.

Let's hear it! O-Ba-Ma! Change! Change! Change! Yes-Mas-Ter!

Always love the Obama zombies.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:07 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by South View Post
I've voted since I was legal to do so.

For those who like to see high voter turnouts, you'll be happy to know that Obama has his ACORN buddies out in full force registering homeless to vote as many times as they can muster using as many YMCA addresses as the city has available.

Let's hear it! O-Ba-Ma! Change! Change! Change! Yes-Mas-Ter!

Always love the Obama zombies.
Yep. And, as far as the people arguing that the ACORNites are merely creating a mass of voter registrations, that even if some are fake, they won't be able to vote - BULL****. There was at least one guy in Cleveland caught voting with a fake address, and who knows how many absentees he got through.

ACORN freaks bothered me a few times, since I work in the city. I ignored them.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:13 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Yep. And, as far as the people arguing that the ACORNites are merely creating a mass of voter registrations, that even if some are fake, they won't be able to vote - BULL****. There was at least one guy in Cleveland caught voting with a fake address, and who knows how many absentees he got through.

ACORN freaks bothered me a few times, since I work in the city. I ignored them.
They create the registrations so they can send the same people in over and over again to vote using those registrations. I've witnessed it myself throughout Milwaukee County were voter fraud is so rampant, we've given up on being a red state for at least the next millenia.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues