Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
  #21  
Old 10-19-2008, 01:37 PM
krahmaan krahmaan is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 08-24-07
Location: LA County, California
Posts: 1,987
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by xentech View Post
The majority of smokers smoke weed frequently, and it is those people who would grow it - it is also those people who the government would want to tax. Not the people like you who will want an occasional spliff. It would not be worth it for the government unless the large body of consistent marijuana smokers bought it and paid tax on it.

The only way it would be worth it would be to make it a tourist point, but there would be a massive outcry about this and America is a very large place. It works for tourism in Amsterdam because Holland is relatively small and all the tourism is concentrated in Amsterdam, which you could not do for America.
Well they could require growers to obtain a city permit to grow legally. Then have them pay the city a fee for the permit based on how much land their using to grow it, and make them pass a inspection to make sure the buds were being planted in fine soil.

That way the city would make a annual profit, when people go to renew their grower's permits. I think that would be fair and everybody should be happy. Smoking happy leaf!
 
Reply With Quote

Advertisement

Advertisement

  #22  
Old 10-19-2008, 05:06 PM
Ferre's Avatar
Ferre Ferre is offline
No Longer Active
 
Join Date: 10-15-03
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 6,897
iTrader: 0 / 0%
You don't need to tax farmers extra at all. Indeed, most people would just buy it in shops and just like tobacco, the packages can be taxes, they don't tax tobacco farmers extra either and anyone can grow his own tobacco legally, same with booze, anyone can make his own booze legally, it's only companies that produce and package it for sales who get extra taxed.

People make too much of a big deal about just another product which can be integrated into the many already existig consumer laws. Making special laws just for weed is rather stupid.


 
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Atom's Avatar
Atom Atom is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 10-12-03
Location: Tennessee, USA
Posts: 32,608
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Here's an interesting Orkut post that I saved.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The problem with making drugs illegal 2/6/2004 7:13 AM
Hi,

I lived in a drug infested area for 10 years, with young prostitutes on the street and dealers asking me every day if I wanted to buy heroin, cocaine, XTC and whatever else one wanted..

Why are drugs a problem ? Because they are illegal ! That causes a black market to exist with huge potential profits. The merchants in that market will push people to use the drugs, the profit potential is huge. And the burden on society is enormous.

The prisons are full, yet the problem continues. The incentives for the sellers of drugs are enormous. The prosecution policy keeps prices high, and this is what the black marketeers feed on. It is a self perpetuating cycle that can only be broken with a different, compassionate and sensible approach.

Drug users need to pay a lot of money to satisfy their addiction. Such amounts of money cannot be earned with a regular job. The consequence is people selling their bodies, and stealing to raise the capital needed for the maintenance of the addiction. No money for proper food, no money to rent a house, slowly impoverishing and thereby enforcing the stigma about junkies being thieves and criminals. These people need our help, not our jails.

If our societies would be at all sensible, they would decriminalize drugs and treat addiction as a medical problem. The billions saved by stopping detection and prosecution can be invested in education and prevention programs, to help people get on with their lives, afford the rent, buy healthy food, educate themselves, et cetera.


Rgds

Felipe
 
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-19-2008, 06:16 PM
krahmaan krahmaan is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 08-24-07
Location: LA County, California
Posts: 1,987
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferre View Post
You don't need to tax farmers extra at all. Indeed, most people would just buy it in shops and just like tobacco, the packages can be taxes, they don't tax tobacco farmers extra either and anyone can grow his own tobacco legally, same with booze, anyone can make his own booze legally, it's only companies that produce and package it for sales who get extra taxed.

People make too much of a big deal about just another product which can be integrated into the many already existig consumer laws. Making special laws just for weed is rather stupid.


Yeah, you're right. I didn't know that you didn't need a permit to grow tobbaco or make booze for personal use. The sources I found stated that you'd only need a permit if you planned to sell it. So you are right Ferre.

http://www.rakcha.net/resources/the-...r-license.html

http://www.victoryseeds.com/tobacco/...q.html#license

I guess I was thinking about the classification of marijuana, that it may be classified as a drug and that you'd need some sort of permit either from the FDA or the city. But no, you're right it's just like homeopathy or creating a home remedy you wouldn't need a permit for that.

Good show. I found a site on making home made drugs that looks pretty interesting located in the LA, Calif. area. Have a look.

http://www.homemadedrugs.net/
 
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-20-2008, 12:47 AM
Ferre's Avatar
Ferre Ferre is offline
No Longer Active
 
Join Date: 10-15-03
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 6,897
iTrader: 0 / 0%
http://www.mpp.org/news/press-releas...complaint.html
 
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-20-2008, 02:25 AM
sitetutor's Avatar
sitetutor sitetutor is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 12-30-03
Posts: 3,542
iTrader: 0 / 0%
This is pretty much the only thread where i agree with Ferre
 
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-20-2008, 02:36 AM
Boogle's Avatar
Boogle Boogle is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 09-03-07
Location: England
Posts: 649
iTrader: 0 / 0%
So how comes no person here has pointed out that weed is proven, yes that's right- proven to send people nuts? First-hand experience here folks, A school friend I know, lived in a family who grew weed and all their family is nuts, been in and out of mental hospitals, tried to kill each other and honestly, during younger years in School and growing up, those friends were liked by all and more normal than most young people!!

Legalizing weed and exposing this threat to such susceptible people is a bad idea, going insane is one thing I just couldn't handle!

I think without actually been a qualified chemist/Dr. in this field you can't actually really say, "yes it's safe to legalize weed" coz let's face it- we know squat compared to those guys; they are who they are for a reason because they are smart, and hard-working enough to obtain those qualifications and are far better placed to make these judgements than we are; I'm sorry my friends but all us, yes including me, who think we are smarter than these politicians and doctors/chemists that stop weed from being legal know a whole lot more than we do and I trust their judegment. This is not a question of corrupt politicians or people been control freaks. Simply put- we know but a small fraction of what the professionals do, so listen to them!!!

Boog's
 
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-20-2008, 02:49 AM
sitetutor's Avatar
sitetutor sitetutor is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 12-30-03
Posts: 3,542
iTrader: 0 / 0%
How do you know that those people were not crazy to begin with?
 
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-20-2008, 02:57 AM
Atom's Avatar
Atom Atom is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 10-12-03
Location: Tennessee, USA
Posts: 32,608
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogle View Post
So how comes no person here has pointed out that weed is proven, yes that's right- proven to send people nuts? ...
Because it's not true. That's an old fallacy and has long been known to be false.
 
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-20-2008, 03:24 AM
xentech's Avatar
xentech xentech is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 09-12-08
Location: Great Britain
Posts: 307
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogle View Post
So how comes no person here has pointed out that weed is proven, yes that's right- proven to send people nuts?
Wrong. There is a proven CORRELATION between mental health issues and marijuana. Many studies show that people who are liekly to develop schizoprenia and other mental disorders are also more like to smoke marijuana, it is not necessarily the plant which makes them insane.
 
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 10-20-2008, 03:33 AM
sitetutor's Avatar
sitetutor sitetutor is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 12-30-03
Posts: 3,542
iTrader: 0 / 0%
What came first, the chicken or the egg?
 
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-20-2008, 03:52 AM
Atom's Avatar
Atom Atom is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 10-12-03
Location: Tennessee, USA
Posts: 32,608
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom View Post
Because it's not true. That's an old fallacy and has long been known to be false.
I could go on to provide back-up for my statement, but to be quite frank, it's kind of a waste of time as the point isn't even arguable anymore.

In reality, I've come to discover through extensive exploration that being high on weed, especially potent weed, opens the mind to places that would make sanity the new insane. In other words, being high has a somewhat opposite effect of being insane, and in still other words, it makes one saner, IMO. When coming back to the old sane (the high wears off), one soon realizes how closed their supposedly sane (un-high) mind really is.
 
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-20-2008, 04:09 AM
Atom's Avatar
Atom Atom is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 10-12-03
Location: Tennessee, USA
Posts: 32,608
iTrader: 0 / 0%
There is hidden reality waiting to be discovered, weed is the key that unlocks that reality. It is unwise to assume that the unaltered mind is the only true reality. I've discovered quite the opposite in fact.

Is it for everyone? Certainly not. Some people just are not designed to accept other realities of life other than what they're accustomed to, and for reasons that are unknown to me, and not necessarily wrong, IMO.
 
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-20-2008, 05:14 AM
Atom's Avatar
Atom Atom is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 10-12-03
Location: Tennessee, USA
Posts: 32,608
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I should probably add at this point that my extensive exploration, previously mentioned, includes a 19 consecutive year period of zero mind alteration (no mind altering drug use occurred), which has occurred right in the middle of my total mind altering drug experience thus far. Total experience = 10 years on, 19 years off, 10 years on, or thereabout.

Last edited by Atom; 10-20-2008 at 05:25 AM.
 
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-20-2008, 05:33 AM
Atom's Avatar
Atom Atom is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 10-12-03
Location: Tennessee, USA
Posts: 32,608
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I do not have good things to say regarding some mind altering drugs, but weed is certainly not one of them.
 
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-20-2008, 05:49 AM
Zap's Avatar
Zap Zap is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 01-15-06
Posts: 13,770
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogle View Post
So how comes no person here has pointed out that weed is proven, yes that's right- proven to send people nuts? First-hand experience here folks, A school friend I know, lived in a family who grew weed and all their family is nuts, been in and out of mental hospitals, tried to kill each other and honestly, during younger years in School and growing up, those friends were liked by all and more normal than most young people!!

Legalizing weed and exposing this threat to such susceptible people is a bad idea, going insane is one thing I just couldn't handle!

I think without actually been a qualified chemist/Dr. in this field you can't actually really say, "yes it's safe to legalize weed" coz let's face it- we know squat compared to those guys; they are who they are for a reason because they are smart, and hard-working enough to obtain those qualifications and are far better placed to make these judgements than we are; I'm sorry my friends but all us, yes including me, who think we are smarter than these politicians and doctors/chemists that stop weed from being legal know a whole lot more than we do and I trust their judegment. This is not a question of corrupt politicians or people been control freaks. Simply put- we know but a small fraction of what the professionals do, so listen to them!!!

Boog's
You DO know that Ferre has a background in chemistry, right?
And you say "Legalizing weed and exposing this threat to such susceptible people is a bad idea...". Legalizing weed and exposing people to it are two very different things. Weed is currently not legal, yet millions are exposed to it.

Are more people going to be exposed to weed if you legalize it? Probably. But all the exposure under those circumstances will be legitimized. That means the government will have a lot more control over how it gets exposed than it currently has with weed being illegal. Make no mistake. People will get weed, whether it's legal or not. If you doubt that, tour any prison. Pick one. You'll find people in there on drug related charges.

The US tried prohibition on alcohol too. Imagine what it would be like today if they managed to make that one stick. The jails would be filled with people who's only crime was drinking whisky. Sounds kinda dumb when you consider that, doesn't it?
 
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-20-2008, 06:15 AM
Boogle's Avatar
Boogle Boogle is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 09-03-07
Location: England
Posts: 649
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom View Post
There is hidden reality waiting to be discovered, weed is the key that unlocks that reality. It is unwise to assume that the unaltered mind is the only true reality. I've discovered quite the opposite in fact.

Is it for everyone? Certainly not. Some people just are not designed to accept other realities of life other than what they're accustomed to, and for reasons that are unknown to me, and not necessarily wrong, IMO.
You sound insane lol! (no offense meant there )

@Zap - I accept your point regarding the exposure; people will get what they want whether it's legal or not, however it cannot be disputed that more people will be exposed to weed if it were to be legalized and yet I still believe (going to find the journals if I can) the susceptible individuals will be affected by weed's effects.

What I was meaning to say is that those people who are selected to advise the decision makers are chosen for one reason only: they are the selected few out of millions of qualified people that show an outstanding and exceptional understanding of what they are being asked to advise about. I don't doubt Ferre's abilities, he reads like an intelligent individual, however this does not mean he has the capabilities to undermind or somewhat otherwise be more right over those selected few, otherwise IMO he would be
one of the selected few!

Of course these are just my thoughts, what I'm trying to get at is that, if we, as civilisation had to vote on the legalization of weed then I would vote 'no'.

Boog's
 
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-20-2008, 06:51 AM
Atom's Avatar
Atom Atom is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 10-12-03
Location: Tennessee, USA
Posts: 32,608
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogle View Post
You sound insane lol! (no offense meant there ) ...
Nah, I'm just stoned. lol

To be totally honest, I know that I post seemingly insanely at times, but the truth is that I'm quite normal in real life. Well, except for a few things unrelated to this topic, such as just plain weird life choices and the like, but nothing that would be deemed truly insane.

Last edited by Atom; 10-20-2008 at 06:57 AM.
 
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-20-2008, 07:15 AM
Atom's Avatar
Atom Atom is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 10-12-03
Location: Tennessee, USA
Posts: 32,608
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Well, I guess I gotta go out and rake the lawn for a spell, then mow. That should snap me to my senses for a while. lol
 
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-20-2008, 07:38 AM
Boogle's Avatar
Boogle Boogle is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 09-03-07
Location: England
Posts: 649
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom View Post
Nah, I'm just stoned. lol
Haha that's a belter, what a state of mind to be in whilst debating on this post- I love it haha!
 
Reply With Quote
Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Marijuana john06 Controversial Social Issues 15 08-07-2008 09:43 AM
ACLU wants to legalize child porn John Scott Controversial Social Issues 12 05-19-2008 05:51 PM
marijuana can cause psychosis. Agree? ryukenden Controversial Social Issues 161 12-17-2007 02:30 PM
Marijuana do you think it should be legal or not taurusinc Controversial Social Issues 85 07-26-2007 12:48 AM


V7N Network
Get exposure! V7N I Love Photography V7N SEO Blog V7N Directory


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:16 PM.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
Copyright © 2003 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC