Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 10-20-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogle View Post
Haha that's a belter, what a state of mind to be in whilst debating on this post- I love it haha!
You would be surprised at the number of people that post stoned, it's just that I'm one of the few candid about it. BTW, this state of mind you refer to, is this one that you are quite familiar with, or, are you simply adding some conjecture to the conversation, or ?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-20-2008, 08:30 AM

I went out to start raking but the lawn is still wet from dew. Gotta wait a while longer I guess.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

To say that marijuana has no mentally damaging effects would be lunacy. However I do think that it will only seriously affect you if you use it every single day, not giving your mind a chance to re-alter back into it's normal state.

The fact is that millions upon millions smoke it and relatively not many people have schizophrenia and mental problems from. It's a small minority. Saying that marijuana will make you crazy is like saying crossing the road will get you run over, it is ridiculous.

All that beside, I think in general you should be allowed to put into your body whatever you want, and all laws against it are stupid. The way I see it is you should be allowed to do anything in this world you like, as long as it does not conflict with others.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xentech View Post
To say that marijuana has no mentally damaging effects would be lunacy. However I do think that it will only seriously affect you if you use it every single day, not giving your mind a chance to re-alter back into it's normal state.

The fact is that millions upon millions smoke it and relatively not many people have schizophrenia and mental problems from. It's a small minority. Saying that marijuana will make you crazy is like saying crossing the road will get you run over, it is ridiculous.

All that beside, I think in general you should be allowed to put into your body whatever you want, and all laws against it are stupid. The way I see it is you should be allowed to do anything in this world you like, as long as it does not conflict with others.
Well put.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:59 AM
No Longer Active

Quote:
So how comes no person here has pointed out that weed is proven, yes that's right- proven to send people nuts?

That's bull****.

This has not been "proven" at all. Show us the research.

The only thing that was ever found is that it can push latent nutters over the edge, but there is no way that a healthy person can become "nuts" as you call it, and I have the research to prove that.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Banned

Wow this debate went from the Governor smoking pot to an all out weed causes mental illness! Interesting, first it's herbology that deals with herbs. Next, has anyone here ever got their greasy little hands on a Psychologist's medical prescription drug book?

Well, I won't lie I've seen one before while getting a prescription for some anti-depressants back in like 2001. Believe it or not I've dealt with depression before. So, while I was in the doctor's office he left the room for a spell. Out of curiosity I grabbed his book really fast and looked threw it. I guess I'm just not trusting like that -for people love to lie. I saw drugs that are usually prescribed for mental illness and depression had warnings, that didn't come on the actual prescription package.

There was one in particular I think lithium. In the doctor's book, it said something like this: Side effects in normal people - may induce chronic psychosis or may even cause death. Then I started browsing and many other meds had this same "disclaimer". That day I knew this was all big business and if it caused psychosis in normal people who's to say that the so-called 'mentally ill' people weren't normal before they were injected with the doctor's psych medications?

I'd love to post a link to this, but this information is safely guarded and you'd have to go in a psych doctor's office yourself and sneak a peak! But I did find one that will give us a hint and I'll quote it here:

Quote:
Lithium: The medication of first choice for bipolar illness is lithium, which treats both the manic symptoms in seven to ten days and reduces depressive symptoms when they may develop.

Though it is very effective in controlling the wild thoughts and behaviors of mania, lithium does have some side effects, including tremor, weight gain, nausea, mild diarrhea, and skin rashes. People taking lithium should drink 10 to 12 glasses of water a day to avoid dehydration. Adverse reactions which may develop in a small number of people include confusion, slurred speech, extreme fatigue or excitement, muscle weakness, dizziness, difficulty in walking or sleep disturbances.

Physicians also sometimes prescribe anticonvulsant drugs such as carbamazepine or valproate for people with bipolar disorder, though the FDA has not yet approved them for this purpose. It has been known to cause potentially serious blood disorders in a minority of cases.
Found at: http://www.healthyplace.com/site/psy...edications.htm

(*Notice they used words like 'small number' and 'minority' -sounds like a cover up to me!)

Old 10-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Well put.
Thanks

Old 10-23-2008, 03:07 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:

I have friends who smoke it a lot. Maybe not every day, but almost.I don't see anything wrong with ending a night with a bowl.
You don't wake up with a hangover have your coffee and start another day.
What's the big deal?
Maybe some people can't handle it, could be.
But why should the majority of smokers (including part timers) who function well be punished?

Smoking weed has never been a prob for me. Drinking is a different story.

My attitude is that when you have a problem with a substance and are aware of that, you pay the consequences for your actions when you disregard your own limits.
Of course, crack, speed etc. should be flat out illegal. It does increase crime, period.
Weed doesn't.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:24 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitetutor View Post
I have friends who smoke it a lot. Maybe not every day, but almost.I don't see anything wrong with ending a night with a bowl.
You don't wake up with a hangover have your coffee and start another day.
What's the big deal?
Maybe some people can't handle it, could be.
But why should the majority of smokers (including part timers) who function well be punished?

Smoking weed has never been a prob for me. Drinking is a different story.

My attitude is that when you have a problem with a substance and are aware of that, you pay the consequences for your actions when you disregard your own limits.
Of course, crack, speed etc. should be flat out illegal. It does increase crime, period.
Weed doesn't.
Guns, knives and alcohol cause crime, do you agree that those should be illegal? I think you should be able to put any substance into your own body, ofcourse if that is causing you to inflict on other people's wellbeing then you should be put in jail. But all people who take those drugs are criminals.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:29 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Guns, knives and alcohol cause crime, do you agree that those should be illegal?
No, but unlike most drugs, I have seen speed and crack have a detrimental effect on users like no other drug.
I do believe that making those legal would turn society into a serious disaster.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Guns, knives and alcohol cause crime, do you agree that those should be illegal? I think you should be able to put any substance into your own body, ofcourse if that is causing you to inflict on other people's wellbeing then you should be put in jail. But all people who take those drugs are criminals.
I do agree to the first part definately and also to most of the second about people that take drugs.

One must remember that alcohol has a much more detrimental effect on the body than marijuana over time and also, my take is this - Would you rather walk past 10 people who are completely drunk or 10 people that are stoned on pot?

You see people that smoke marijuana are usually complete pacifists and could not hurt a fly but alcohol can breed violence.

Our problem as a society is that because the governement says that it is bad, we accept it without proof.

Years back I was a drummer for a band and I used to smoke it and I remember asking my doctor if it was worse than alcohol and he said "Off the record, no, not at all but I can not defend it as it is illegal".

Old 10-23-2008, 04:19 AM
Contributing Member

Taking all that into account I think their must be some underlying principals as to why it's illegal. I fully appreciate all those points but whether it's purely because it would be SOOO lucrative or because there's some kind of scientific explanation no one has pointed out yet, the drug IS ILLEGAL. I don't think the government, as a body of intelligent and generally fair people, would just say, "no it is illegal because we don't smoke it"... they must have reasons

I completeley agree though, I'd rather walk past 10 stoned folk than 10 pissed up folk, for definite! But the point is, alcohol is legal and weed isn't... SURELY the top dogs have their resons for this?

Boog's

Old 10-23-2008, 04:50 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
No, but unlike most drugs, I have seen speed and crack have a detrimental effect on users like no other drug.
I do believe that making those legal would turn society into a serious disaster.
Yes they can have a detrimental effect on people, and if somebody takes crack and gets like that it is their choice, i see no problem with it. People should be allowed to make their own decisions, but as soon as that person's actions start affecting society, they should be jailed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G10 View Post
I do agree to the first part definately and also to most of the second about people that take drugs.

One must remember that alcohol has a much more detrimental effect on the body than marijuana over time and also, my take is this - Would you rather walk past 10 people who are completely drunk or 10 people that are stoned on pot?

You see people that smoke marijuana are usually complete pacifists and could not hurt a fly but alcohol can breed violence.

Our problem as a society is that because the governement says that it is bad, we accept it without proof.

Years back I was a drummer for a band and I used to smoke it and I remember asking my doctor if it was worse than alcohol and he said "Off the record, no, not at all but I can not defend it as it is illegal".
Indeed the majority of violence on our streets is caused by people intoxicated on alcohol. But should alcohol be illegal? No, because people should be able to put any substance into their own body as they choose, crimes commited while on drugs should just be punished as the crimes which they are.

Quote:
Taking all that into account I think their must be some underlying principals as to why it's illegal. I fully appreciate all those points but whether it's purely because it would be SOOO lucrative or because there's some kind of scientific explanation no one has pointed out yet, the drug IS ILLEGAL. I don't think the government, as a body of intelligent and generally fair people, would just say, "no it is illegal because we don't smoke it"... they must have reasons

I completeley agree though, I'd rather walk past 10 stoned folk than 10 pissed up folk, for definite! But the point is, alcohol is legal and weed isn't... SURELY the top dogs have their resons for this?

Boog's
Ofcourse they have their reasons. For one there would be a public outbreak, many people still believe that cannabis is really bad for you and it is addictive (and other misconceptions).

As I said earlier in the thread aswel, I think another reason it is illegal is because if it was legal it would be very hard to tax, and the ammount of money they would make off it would not be worth the public reaction and harm to the political group's image.

Ofcourse they have their reasons, and each one of their reasons is in the interest of the political group (party). Even if legalising drugs had a overall negative affect (by some degree) on the country then I think they should do it.

I just don't think people should be allowed to control things you put into your body, as long as you are harming nobody else then what is the point? They can put you in jail and call you a criminal just for choosing to put something in your body.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:55 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Yes they can have a detrimental effect on people, and if somebody takes crack and gets like that it is their choice, i see no problem with it. People should be allowed to make their own decisions, but as soon as that person's actions start affecting society, they should be jailed.

But it will also make it easier for kids to get into it. That is where I have a serious issue.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:48 AM
No Longer Active

Quote:
But it will also make it easier for kids to get into it. That is where I have a serious issue.

That's another misconception Mike, a very common one I must say but the fact is that it is very easy for kids to get all kinds of dugs now and one of the main reasons for that it because crack and other potentionally dangerous drugs are not regulated at all, they are on the streets for everyone to buy it, including kids.

When Cannabis was illegal in the Netherlands, and I remember those days very well, kids could buy it everywhere, no dealer asked for their age, they just sold the stuff to anyone with the money to buy it. Nowadays it's hard for kids to get weed, they need to hussle a ot more to be able to buy it, coffeeshops won't sell it to minors.

Of course, they could get around that, but statistics in Holland prove that the cannabis use amongst minors has reduced, in fact the overall cannabis use by the population has reduced since it's regulated.

Prohibition does not prevent use of any drug, global statistics prove that too. Regulation however reduces the risks and reduces the harm to society and most of all, it takes away a lot of crime.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
I don't think so at all, it is very very easy for kids to get drugs as it is. Selling drugs on the street would still be illegal if they were to legalise drugs, they would be regulated strictly and accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferre View Post

That's another misconception Mike, a very common one I must say but the fact is that it is very easy for kids to get all kinds of dugs now and one of the main reasons for that it because crack and other potentionally dangerous drugs are not regulated at all, they are on the streets for everyone to buy it, including kids.

When Cannabis was illegal in the Netherlands, and I remember those days very well, kids could buy it everywhere, no dealer asked for their age, they just sold the stuff to anyone with the money to buy it. Nowadays it's hard for kids to get weed, they need to hussle a ot more to be able to buy it, coffeeshops won't sell it to minors.

Of course, they could get around that, but statistics in Holland prove that the cannabis use amongst minors has reduced, in fact the overall cannabis use by the population has reduced since it's regulated.

Prohibition does not prevent use of any drug, global statistics prove that too. Regulation however reduces the risks and reduces the harm to society and most of all, it takes away a lot of crime.
Agreed. Apparently there are a lot more kids smoking weed in the UK then in the Netherlands.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Banned

What people don't seem to remember is that marijuana is a plant and is a herb. Mind altering as it is, it is not the only mind altering herb out there. If you remember Mau Huang used to be legal, but it contained Ephedra. And Ephedra is the main ingredient in making speed, or crystal meth. I remember you could go to any heath food store and buy Mau Huang, it was great for energy to burn fat and it also created a little Euphoria when taken.

I never bought it for the head change, only to advance my workouts. Then soon the powers that be took a simple herb and made it illegal. Just as with marijuana. The herb was not illegal in the United States until it started to become labeled as a "Drug".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_h..._United_States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marihuana_Tax_Act_of_1937

There was another drug that was not illegal until the powers that be changed all this. Cocaine. A lot of people don't know all this, but if you remember Coca-Cola used to contain real cocaine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocawine

In the early days of the Native Americans, there were Tribes who would chew the coca leaf to cause numbness in their bodies so that they could walk miles threw the mountainous terrains with little food or drink. It was part of survival, but of course they did not abuse this. I think everything that grows from this great Earth grows by the wishes of 'The Source' (God) for a reason. Or it would not grow at all! It's just from not having the right learning about these wonderful ingredients and their fundamental uses that we 'as imperfect humans' start labeling them as 'drugs'. Then start spreading rumors like "Oh, those are bad for you. Now you're a drug addict! I curse thee!"

See Pharmacological aspects:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca

We must start to really understand what these herbs and spices are for, and their positive uses before we make ignorant judgments. Marijuana has been proven to help many things including eyesight. Here's a little evidence and proof that I know is being overlooked and mis credited, The Heath Industry is a Big & Complex Business:

http://www.thehempire.com/index.php/...e_the_evidence

(I bet one day even energy drinks and vitamin B12 will probably be labeled as "Drugs". I get buzzed all the time from Red Bull. )

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues