Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 06-28-2004, 08:23 AM

Hey Spear, are you even old enough to see the movie?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-28-2004, 09:14 AM
v7n Mentor

nope.. and if i was i wouldnt even go see it. not gunna give michael moore a single dime.

Old 06-28-2004, 09:22 AM
Contributing Member

I havent seen it yet, though Id like too, Bowling for Columbine was good - "The pen is mightier than the sword, but you have to have a sword for when the pen fails" lol classic quote from some insane american (brother of oklahoma brother who's interviewed in it. He even has a magnum under his pillow - weirdo)

Old 06-28-2004, 09:33 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLien
Made that **** documentary F911, that only expresses his one view.
lol. Get some facts first
http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/latestnews/f911facts/

That shows exactly what different points of the film that were criticised say - and where the facts are from.
It's not entirely his view - it's all based on facts first, then his bias opinions added.

Old 06-28-2004, 10:08 AM
v7n Mentor

if someone wants to expres their freedom of speech they shouldnt use their once succesful filming career to do it. he needs to make these controversial films to get ppl to see his movies. if one of these movies wins an oscar or something im going postal.

Old 06-28-2004, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

You should still see it though for the sake of seeing a movie

Old 06-28-2004, 11:25 AM
v7n Mentor

no, if anyone i knows goes and see the movie im going to punch them. im dead serious.

Old 06-28-2004, 11:54 AM

I loved his first move and I'll probably go see the second movie. Just watched an interview with him on 60 minutes and they asked him the question that has been nagging me since Bowling for Columbine"

Question: You have been criticized for placing yourself at the forefront of every movie. How do you respond to this criticism?

Moore: Hey, if you looked like me, would you be putting yourself in the flim (fat, ugly, etc ). ...Went on to say that he was doing it to be a sort of standin for every Joe Schmoe is American that can't have their voice heard to live vicariously through him.

I didn't like his response that much, and I still do believe that he is doing largely in part to be famous. But I guess there isn't anything wrong with that because that's the goal of pretty much anyone that gets on T.V. in America.

As for his documentaries, Bowling for Columbine was an eye opener to the American public about how worthless the news has become. The other points of the movie weren't that strong.

Fahrenheit 9/11 looks like a decent flick and from the footage I've seen should be interesting. Though if it just focuses on Bush bashing I'm going to be pretty bored. The scene they showed on 60 minutes was about how Bush sat in a classroom, with a stupid look on his face, while the WTC was getting assaulted from all directions. And how Bush continued to sit there because he didn't have any of his advisors or special agents to advise him. Is this really startling news to anyone?

Bush always makes a fool out of himself in front of the camera, but we all know that he hired good people to get the real stuff done, while he sits around with that look on his face.

I like to get information about current events from every persective possible, but you just got to remember to take everything with a grain of salt, ignore the idiot that may be trying to get his face on camera and pay attention to the cold, hard facts.

Old 06-28-2004, 01:14 PM
v7n Mentor

what is bush supposed to do.. call them and ask em to stop?
dude it happened in 15 minutes.. there is nothing he could of done.. even our jets cant stop an attack with 15 mins notice

Old 06-28-2004, 08:30 PM

Moore's view is now that of the majority of American's. Saw a poll yesterday on CBC. Not by much, but over half of those polled finaly see the war as a bad move. Took about 1,000 dead marines before people started seeing that the black and white view of war presented by Bush was a total figment of imagination, just like 95% of Bush's other gibberish.

Here are the numbers:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in621136.shtml

Yay, over half of America is now awake.

Old 06-28-2004, 09:25 PM
v7n Mentor

Polls are a funny thing. 2 out of 3 people vote yes and it's 67% agree.

Quote:
This poll was conducted among a nationwide random sample of 1,113 adults, interviewed by telephone May 20-23, 2004, including 170 veterans. The error due to sampling could be plus or minus three percentage points for results based on the entire sample.
This poll you are referring to was taken the end of May prior to the release of Moore's movie. If you can call it a movie. Since when do movies turn into fundraisers and then get abused by Moveon.org outside the theatres? It's just a long political commercial for the democratic party. Love it or hate it. The road to the white house is getting interesting and nastier by the minute.

Quote:
Yay, over half of America is now awake.
I didn't know America only had 1283 people living in the US. Majority? LOL!

imaginemn

Old 06-28-2004, 09:35 PM

Didn't look at the dates, the polls i mention having heard were on CBC yesterday... wanted to find something online that resembles it for the most part.

Quote:
So what part of America do you live in bytech? I didn't know America only had 1283 people living in the US. Majority? LOL!
Sigh, thought we could get by without having to define what a poll is. Silly of me to assume: see first entry under http://www.google.com/search?q=what+...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Old 06-28-2004, 09:36 PM

Oh yeah, lived in PA (meadsville) and OH (poland) each for 6 months. 3 years ago.

Old 06-29-2004, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytech
Moore's view is now that of the majority of American's. Saw a poll yesterday on CBC. Not by much, but over half of those polled finaly see the war as a bad move.
Nothing annoys me more when people are for war at one moment then 100% against it after they see that there may be casualties. It's freaking war people. I don't mind opposing views, but fickle people will be the end of this nation.

Old 06-29-2004, 11:48 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah a wars a war. Supposed to be a good film/doc

Old 06-30-2004, 12:13 AM
Individualist

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeg007
Quote:
Moore's view is now that of the majority of American's. Saw a poll yesterday on CBC. Not by much, but over half of those polled finaly see the war as a bad move.
Nothing annoys me more when people are for war at one moment then 100% against it after they see that there may be casualties. It's freaking war people. I don't mind opposing views, but fickle people will be the end of this nation.
Yup. War is never a "nice" thing. War is horrific. But what is more horrific - war, or allowing murdering tyrants to murder tens of thousands of people decade after decade?

Old 06-30-2004, 05:19 AM
Contributing Member

i dunno john, moore sure does a good job of making saddam look like a saint .... i guess that's the only way he can get famous, cause it sure ain't gonna happen with his looks.

you know what's funny is that these polls you guys talk about are only conducted on these sites. you have to take into consideration the traffic that these sites generate. by traffic i mean people's views on certain issues. you won't catch a cnn viewer watching or visiting the website of foxnews. (funny thing about cnn ...my friend that just got back from serving in iraq used to watch cnn until he got fed up with the lies they presented as news. he calls it the clinton news network.)

Old 06-30-2004, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnScott
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeg007
Quote:
Yup. War is never a "nice" thing. War is horrific. But what is more horrific - war, or allowing murdering tyrants to murder tens of thousands of people decade after decade?
*oh dear* been here a full 3 posts and i'm getting into arguments with the forum owner.. ah well, off we go

Of course Saddam's crimes were horrific, but the fact that Bush and Blair manipulated evidence in order to convince a suspect public that their war, which, alongside the US Marines they DO count, is now estimated to have caused the death of tens of thousands of Iraqi people they don't even bother to count properly ( www.iraqibodycount.org ) is a serious matter indeed.

Just as serious as the way Donald Rumsfeld was deeply involved in arming and equipping Saddam during the 1980s - there's some classic archive footage of the two all handshakes and grins - to kill hundreds of thousands of Iranians.. weapons he then turned on the Kurds and the Kuwatis.
Interestingly enough, the Kurds got gassed a couple of months before Rumsfeld met Saddam all smiles and joy - Bush Sr only got worried and sent in troops when Saddam started harrassing Kuwait, an oil-rich ally (also ruled by a human rights abusing tyrant)

Or the way that every chemical weapon strain that Saddam possessed at the time of the first gulf war (there is still little evidence he had *any* in the second round) was supplied to him by the US and the UK.

Or the fact that due to the sanctions imposed by the US and UK, and the Depleted Uranium (DU) used in rounds fired by the coalition in both wars have killed half a million iraqi children. The DU has left a legacy of an extremely high incidence of cancer throughout Iraq as, when fired, the DU turns to dust in the air, carried accross the desert on the wind and deep into people's lungs, leaving a legacy of tumours and birth defects for years to come.

Whatever your opinion of M Moore (I think he's a patronising, over simplifying presenter) it holds true that all his claims I have encountered (have not yet seen the film, just read articles about it) I have seen made in other places, by other respected sources.

And over here in the UK I found it all the more depressing to see how fickle our country was, but the other way around - opinion polls went from 92% opposed to the war to 60% pro the day rolling news coverage started on three channels, with constant calls to 'support our troops' - mass media hammering 'patriotism' home so hard people feel alienated if they dont just swallow it and repeat over and over like a mantra.

Course claiming saddam had nukes and could spray us with poison in 45 minutes probably helped too.. pity they were lies, wasn't it?

Old 06-30-2004, 06:24 AM

He should be deported to Iraq, see how much he likes it then!

Old 06-30-2004, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwotiz
Seeing him get booed on stage while accpeting an award was of the highlights of my life.
You should get out more. A lot more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSpear
if someone wants to expres their freedom of speech they shouldnt use their once succesful filming career to do it.
You mean like Ronald Reagan?

And once successful? This film beat BFC's entire theatrical run in its first weekend. He's more successful today than he's ever been, and most of that success is due to the big stink the bashers have been making. Congratulations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaka42
i dunno john, moore sure does a good job of making saddam look like a saint ....
So I take it you've seen the film, right? Because I'm sure you wouldn't make a statement like that without being certain of it's accuracy.

When did we suddenly get to a point that documentaries are supposed to be without bias? All documentaries are presented from the filmmaker's point of view. Rightists want to apply a serious double standard to Moore's work, but it's nothing more than sour grapes, and people see through that. Only the talk radio crowd is taking this anti-Moore junk seriously. I'm not the biggest Michael Moore fan, personally. Believe it or not, a lot of his views fall to the right of my own. But I'm not going to trash the guy and pretend he's a traitor because we have differences of opinion.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues