Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 02-10-2009, 12:20 PM
v7n Mentor

A New Way to Play the US Stock Market

When the bailout funds look like they are in trouble the market goes up. When the funds look like they are going to make it the market goes down.

Historically the stock market is a great indicator of what in the future is going to be a good thing or a bad thing. I think we are in for a rough ride that includes a bunch of money being spent that doesn't help and future inflation. We will see.

If any new CEO came into a company and wanted spend that company out of trouble by spending more than the current debt on the books,they would be tossed out. If that CEO came in and proposed that kind of spending within holding the position for less than a month, they would be ridiculed, called a moron, and then be fired.

Hope this all works out.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Contributing Member

Governments have more ways of making funds than companies do though, so the same economic principals don't really apply.
For instance, companies aren't allowed to go into other corporate buildings, slaughter half the staff, and take their assets. That would be criminal. Governments call it preemptive defence.
Another great example is that companies can't deduct from their employees wages to pay for new things at the company. They demand that the company pay for it itself out of its profit margins, or they'll leave and go to another company. Rightly so. Yet when a Government tries to do this, instead of leaving to another country, people bitch and moan and say they're staying because they're loyal...
Whatever, I've got my passport and will jump ship to wherever's best at the time. I'm lucky I happen to already live in a place I think it'll be hard to top.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:58 AM
Individualist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harveyj View Post
Governments have more ways of making funds than companies do though, so the same economic principals don't really apply.
For instance, companies aren't allowed to go into other corporate buildings, slaughter half the staff, and take their assets. That would be criminal. Governments call it preemptive defence.
Sounds odd coming from a statist.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

I'm an idealist, John, not an idiot.
I'm aware the world is not actually how I perceive it should be.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

The government has no money. To get the money for this and the next few stimulus package of equally insane size the government will need to borrow the money by issuing bonds and t-bills promissing a higher rate than any business can offer. By doing that, they will be competing with business for investment dollars. It's a spiral that will end in the largest depression ever, and will probably end the government AND business as we know it. Enjoy the next 15 years. It's going to be a LONG depression

If you want to picture what it will be like, imagine the economy is a plane over Buffalo...

Old 02-14-2009, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

Has anyone ever thought about using web visitor statistics to try and predict what the market is going to do based on google searches.
I have noticed that one of my web pages tells me when the powerball lottery jackpot is getting higher based on how many people go to that page.
I was wondering if one could do the same thing with webstats on the market. A simple example would be making one page with the keywords (now is a great time to buy Microsoft stock) and another contrarian web page with the keywords ( now is not the time to buy Microsoft stock) while most investors seek out information that will support what they want to do and then act on supportive evidence. I was wondering what information could be learned from even a small amount of Visitors. What do you think dumb Idea or not?

Old 02-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

Check - "web bot project" Designed to predict the stock market, but has made a lot of other notable predictions. Some people (not me) use it as a tool.

Last edited by pgzn; 02-14-2009 at 10:42 AM.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks PGZN
I'll have to check it out! Sounds very interesting.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues