Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 02-19-2009, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Housing fix will help many...

What do you think?

We all know that plans are not perfect, but I believe it is encouraging.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/02/18/news...ion=2009021819

Robespierre

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

The gist of that article as I read it was stupid people who bought more house than they could afford and financed a lifestyle are now going to get a break on their interest while the rest of pay as we agreed.

We are even going to churn the money machine one last time by creating new loans for them. Sure to help the lenders and the lawyers with the processing fees.

While the taxpayers pay for it all.

Wow. Great deal for somebody but not for me.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Well not all people bought more house they could afford. There many people losing their jobs and get cought. I mean people are unable to sell their houses because the market is so low and they probably owe more money than their house worth.

These people in my opinion need help.

Robespierre

Old 02-19-2009, 01:28 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

I just saw an interview with Susie Orman, the celebrity financial adviser. She said the housing plan has too many restrictions to qualify for help, and it will help very few. And then, for those who do qualify, the relief is temporary, and they will just return to their same difficulties.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:33 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

And then on Charlie Rose, I saw an interview with an economist from New York University. He said the stimulus will not reduce unemployment, but it will slow down the rate of increase in unemployment.

I'm no economist, but my guess is, that there will be an improvement, but short term, and then some problems will be coming. :-)

Old 02-19-2009, 03:04 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

You are right, and you might find a lot of people with healthy finance going down because the system collapse fast. I guess this recession will go deeper and deeper.

I also see on CNN that uneployment will be higher in February, everything looks bad.

Robespierre

Old 02-19-2009, 03:52 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Natural,

I don't even look where our stocks are at. It's all in God's hands. I looked a couple months and was shocked to see we had lost almost nothing. But who knows now. I just know financially I'm very blessed now, and I fully expect that to continue.

On my web site, I have an article on how to prosper. I guess, maybe, it just works. But I don't want to link to the site here.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:59 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

I meant "months ago." I looked a couple months ago.

The software went goofy for me. Sometimes I can post, and sometimes, I cannot; and sometimes I can edit, and sometimes, I cannot. It started about two hours ago. Maybe, someone sent me a present for something I said.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well not all people bought more house they could afford. There many people losing their jobs and get cought.

A small % are getting caught. For them I do feel sorry.

The ones who did not buy more house than they could afford let some slick talking sucker talk them into refinancing it 1-5 times to pay off other bills, reap some great reward in the future or have an extra $50 to send to China via WalMart.

There was a real "pity piece" on the news the other night. This poor lady had refinaced several times in 5 years and now she was out of options. You have to be pretty dumb to do that.

Some people aren't meant to own a home. They do not know how to manage it. But for the last 15 years the mortgage companies and the government have done everything possible to sell to them.

The piper needs to be paid.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:44 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

I just read an analysis, that Obama's housing plan is the same as that proposed by McCain in the second debate, but with somewhat less money for the homeowners. After the debate Obama is quoted as campaigning that the taxpayers should not have to pay for people defaulting on their mortgages and noting the plan was too risky. Now, if Obama will only listen to McCain on how to fight terrorism, that will help a lot.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:26 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsLeft View Post
I just read an analysis, that Obama's housing plan is the same as that proposed by McCain in the second debate, but with somewhat less money for the homeowners. After the debate Obama is quoted as campaigning that the taxpayers should not have to pay for people defaulting on their mortgages and noting the plan was too risky. Now, if Obama will only listen to McCain on how to fight terrorism, that will help a lot.
I totally agree on McCain's words against terrorism

Old 02-20-2009, 05:28 AM
Individualist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsLeft View Post
What's your take on Ron Paul?

Old 02-20-2009, 06:44 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

John,

I can't say I really have a take on him, but maybe I should. He looks like a very interesting person, but my knowledge of him is limited. Is there anything you think I should know about him that is interesting?

Let's see if the software will let the post go through. This is my second effort. My first was blocked.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:17 AM
Individualist

I highly, highly recommend that you read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Revolution-Man.../dp/0446537519

Not even 200 pages, so you could read it in a day.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:06 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Scott View Post
I highly, highly recommend that you read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Revolution-Man.../dp/0446537519

Not even 200 pages, so you could read it in a day.
OK, I put a copy on hold at my favorite library. They have four copies, all checked out, and my hold is second in order.

However, I have at least 70 books sitting and waiting to be read now. So "Revolution/Manifesto" will have to be a fast read. I will at least look at it. I can at times read 200 pages in an hour, and at other times 20 pages takes me a month. It depends on how familiar I am with the subject matter or the concepts involved.

But I get some great book recommendations in forums. Thank you.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:12 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

The only thing that housing bill is going to do, is help keep the banks in control and the people in debt.

If the government wanted to spend money, it would be better served by paying off X number of mortgages. From what I read, with the money the government has already spent, every house in America could have been paid off. But instead, that money was given to the banks to create more loans? The number of loans we already have is a major part of the problem.

The entire housing market was inflated and bloated. It was like a dead dog in the summer sun. It kept swelling until it finally popped. And now everyone gets to smell it.

Last edited by ~kev~; 02-20-2009 at 09:15 AM.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Yes the game is not over:

http://money.cnn.com/2009/02/20/news...ion=2009022011

Robespierre

Old 02-21-2009, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

You want to understand a few things, watch this: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4803928n

Robespierre

Old 02-22-2009, 09:26 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

The government isn't supposed to be a philanthropic organization, and my tax money was never meant to be an endowment fund to be used for charity and vote purchasing. For all of those give give a damn, I suggest you take a collection amongst yourselves and bail them out. Anything more is state sponsored grand theft.

Last edited by pgzn; 02-22-2009 at 09:30 PM.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Come on Jim don't sugar coat it. Tell us how you really feel.

+1

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues