Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 04-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Contributing Member

GM, What is happening now? $$$

Quote:
GM plans to sell Saturn this year, 2 years early GM has said it wants to sell or get rid of Saturn, Hummer and Saab as it restructures, so it can once again become profitable. It's also getting rid of the Pontiac brand.
Wow, I can not believe GM is shutting down the Pontiac brand. I have never owned one of their product but I thought that Pontiac was iconic.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

DETROIT (AP) -- Bankruptcy protection for the nation's biggest automaker is becoming more probable with a deadline just over two weeks away, the company's top executive told reporters Monday.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

You speak of the disappearance of Pontiac and I see AdSense throws up an ad for Ford.
GM just can't catch a break.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member

Here is what's happening now:
http://money.cnn.com/2009/05/12/news...ion=2009051211

Old 05-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Elements View Post
If GM were not headed into bankruptcy, now would be the perfect time to buy large quantities of stock.

Buy low is the key to $$$.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member

Even buying low GM stocks, it looks pretty damn risky to me

Old 05-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

GM, Chrysler to cut up to 3,000 dealers: That will be at least 20,000 jobs directly lost. This is devastating.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

This is not a knock against GM. All the auto makers are guilty of this.

I can't help but think that they might be in better financial shape if they produced vehicles that people wanted. People have been screaming for fuel cell technology and other greener technologies. It doesn't really matter if the planet is dying or not. That debate will go on as long as the debaters can drag it on. It's about not being dependant on purchasing fuel for our cars. If the auto makers put their customers needs above the oil companies, we would have had vehicles that run on renewable energies a long time ago.

Again, this is not about saving the planet. It's about not having to pay $100 a week for gasoline to drive my own damned car.

Open challenge to GM, Ford, Chrysler or anyone else... Give us vehicles that run on electricity or hydrogen or some other form of energy that we can cheaply produce ourselves without being slaves to big companies and you'll be very profitable.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
This is not a knock against GM. All the auto makers are guilty of this.

I can't help but think that they might be in better financial shape if they produced vehicles that people wanted. People have been screaming for fuel cell technology and other greener technologies. It doesn't really matter if the planet is dying or not. That debate will go on as long as the debaters can drag it on. It's about not being dependant on purchasing fuel for our cars. If the auto makers put their customers needs above the oil companies, we would have had vehicles that run on renewable energies a long time ago.

Again, this is not about saving the planet. It's about not having to pay $100 a week for gasoline to drive my own damned car.

Open challenge to GM, Ford, Chrysler or anyone else... Give us vehicles that run on electricity or hydrogen or some other form of energy that we can cheaply produce ourselves without being slaves to big companies and you'll be very profitable.
I couldn't agree with you more. Instead they churned out gas guzzlers after gas guzzlers and when the gas prices hit the fan, guess who got burned. I drive a Toyota... does it make me less patriotic? No. I think that my Japanese car saved me from bankruptcy a few years ago. And it continues to save me some precious dollars. So I wouldn't complain.

what's more, if only the CEOs of these automakers would cut down on the perks they receive, their companies wouldn't be in so much trouble. I heard that all three CEOs flew in via a private heli to ask the senate for some financial help.

give me a break!

Old 06-01-2009, 09:47 AM
No Longer Active

It's official: GM files for bankruptcy protection

It's official: GM files for bankruptcy protection
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...y_N.htm?csp=34

Quote:
General Motors' bankruptcy is part of a "viable, achievable plan that will give this iconic company a chance to rise again," President Obama said after GM filed for bankruptcy early today, launching a complicated, $59 billion effort to save it from collapse.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:37 AM
v7n Mentor

OK,Ok. I said all along let them fold or restructure without bailout. There will be lots of parts houses that will go under as well. Here`s a bit of news that may surprise some of you. Ford will still remain profitable and if you are looking to invest in the automotive industry, Ford is still a good bet.

About 10 years ago, I heard a comment that GM was so big, it would take them ten years to realize they were in trouble. A part of the problem started when the Government started telling them how to make cars. IE: Regulations. In case you have`nt noticed, all cars are crappy compared to say 20 years ago.

For instance, drive a new car and then drive a 20 year old car on the freeway. With the new car, yea, it`s lighter and more fuel efficient and you can hear every sound on the road and probably kills more people in an accident.

Now take that 1988 oldsmobile 98. It`s a lot heavier but rides like a charm and all you hear is silence. That`s my take and I have been in the auto business for 25 years.

Before it`s all done, Toyota, Lexus and the rest will have to scale back too. Hell, let`s go back to riding donkeys!

David

Old 06-01-2009, 10:43 AM

I often wonder if gasoline is really an inanimate substance.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
Shame on you Zap for trying to take away from needy companies the opportunity to make another record profit year.

Get hold on yourself. Please don't tell me that you want Chevron to make maybe only 20 Billions instead of last year record profit of 40 Billions dollars. How dare you?

Do you know what that will do to executives? Poor guys would have to go around with signs that say: I use to be getting 100 Millions in bonuses and now I will work for food.

Do you really want something like that to happen?

Last edited by ranter; 06-01-2009 at 02:32 PM.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Banned

Question Now, Obama 'Owns' General Motors

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/...s+%2B+analysis

Does Obama know exactly what he's doing? Well that's not clear. Or is he just shooting in the dark hoping that he might get lucky? I couldn't tell you. But one thing that is clear is that something must be done. I think that's what he's riding on, that with some action he'll gain support. Which is logical, then things can start to work themselves out.

He's got a lot on his plate, so now I guess Obama may try to play steward to make the best of the situation. Whatever the politics may be, I just try to focus on what I can do for my community. Whether he'll be the ideal President for the future is not the issue for me, that's all for the psychic palm readers to figure out. To me, the real issue is what can we do today as individuals to better the situation(s) at hand.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahmaan View Post
To me, the real issue is what can we do today as individuals to better the situation(s) at hand.
Start riding bike and walk more.
It will safe a few liters of oil which you can pass to your children and theirs children and maybe 50 years from now when you gone they will say: thanks grandpa

Old 06-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranter View Post
Start riding bike and walk more.
It will safe a few liters of oil which you can pass to your children and theirs children and maybe 50 years from now when you gone they will say: thanks grandpa

Hey, I always walk and I'll use public transportation every once in a while. I don't claim to be any better than anyone else, and I'm not ashamed to ride a bus.

You're right it does save gas!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues