Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 05-26-2009, 09:53 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

What do you think about Brits who tell Americans we can't post about something?

I was recently banned for a month on another forum where I have been a member for three years because of some wanker from Britain, using the name [removed by admin].

I made a thread about the MP scandals in Britain (expense account abuse, being reimbursed for minor things such as bags of fertilizer, moat-cleaning bills and property taxes that were actually never paid in the first place) and this [removed by admin] comes in and tells me:

05-24-2009, 01:00 PM #80
[removed by admin]
Active Warrior

Default Re: Outrage in the UK! Lawmakers expense charges exposed!

Pardon me for saying so, but if you are in the States, why be so indignant about this issue, which actually has not anything to do with you in the absolute slightest?

If Americans don't like other nationalities / foreigners giving opinion on their democratic political culture, what gives you the right to do the same within other countries?

Bit of a case of pot, kettle, black, don't you think?

Surely it's up to me as a British national to state what I think on this issue, as a full British citizen and not have to endure some American telling me what I should or should not be indignant about!

Thank you very much indeed!

Honestly! The bloody cheek of it! it's bloody laughable, good grief!

In a later post, he says "I refuse to be further drawn on this issue" and calls for the entire thread to be deleted, as it is in violation of forum rules (even though the forum owner is in clear violation of the very same rule!).

I get banned, the thread still has not been deleted, and [removed by admin] (who does not get banned) still comes back to add his two pence in several more posts, while the rest of the members castigate him for being so stupid as to make even more political posts while at the same time calling for the thread to be closed!

Not to mention it is a forum operated on American servers by an American!

As [removed by admin] said, "The bloody cheek of it!"

Meanwhile I am still banned...

Do you think this [removed by admin] has the right to tell someone what they can or cannot post about?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-26-2009, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

From what you said, I completely understand your frustration but v7n can not get dragged into issues like this and I do not think it correct to comment on issues within other forums on this one as it does not follow forum etiquette on our side.

For whatever reason, fair or not, their admin/mods saw this as the correct steps to take -(and we all know what a pain in the backside mods can be)

I am sure most of us have had our wrists slapped at one time or another on some forum

Old 05-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Probably not.

On a different note, I would be extremely reluctant to be a member of a forum in which I am referred to as a warrior. Extremely indeed.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:23 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

When you are in my home, I have the right to say what is and isn't discussed. Of course, you also have the right to choose not to visit my home, but your right to free speech ends once you cross the threshold of my property. It is no different with a forum. Here at the V7N, we choose not to allow members to bash other forums, members, or their moderators. Respectfully, if you have an issue with another forum, that is between you and them.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Latest Blog:
None

I still prefer not to think about it.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:15 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I respectfully accept your responses and apologize for my apparent lack of forum etiquette.

It is irritating that one person can make a comment and another is banned for it, while the person making the comment is not. But correctly that is not anything v7n has anything to do with, in this case.

Thank you for your replies.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:27 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

However, feel free to start a topic about MP scandals in Britain here in our politics forum. We have quite a few Brits around, so it should make for an interesting debate.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:51 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
When you are in my home, I have the right to say what is and isn't discussed. Of course, you also have the right to choose not to visit my home, but your right to free speech ends once you cross the threshold of my property. It is no different with a forum. Here at the V7N, we choose not to allow members to bash other forums, members, or their moderators. Respectfully, if you have an issue with another forum, that is between you and them.
I couldn't agree more with your statment. They can do what they want, so I would suggest reading what you post and really consider whether or not to submit.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:58 PM
Latest Blog:
None

I'll discuss this no further.

I hate all people who are not American, BTW.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:34 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Forums are privately owned and the 1st amendment right does not apply on any private forum.

As a matter of fact. The internet as a whole is privately owned and runs by it's own rules.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:22 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Oh, btw, you can't use profanities such as 'wanker' on this forum.

I'm a Brit from Brit Land btw

On a serious note, a great many of those Members of Parliament (MPs) that you referred to will most definitely be kicked out on their fraudulent arses come the next election or sooner because of the leaked files to the Telegraph news paper. This issue has caused such a furore that major changes to the political system are now being seriously talked about. It will be interesting to see the final outcome.

The most ludicrous expenses claim I can remember is for a Duck Island (1500 ish). Yes a floating dog house for ducks to sit out the rain and snuggle down at night for protection from whatever ducks are scared of I guess. It is shameful and I'm a little embarrassed to even be writing about this.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:12 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Corneo, please read the 1st Amendment of the Constitution again and note that it does not give anyone in America the rights of free speech. Many people mistakenly believe that it does ("Hey, you can't violate my First Amendment rights!"), however, regarding free speech, the 1st Amendment merely prevents the government from doing anything that will 'infringe' (limit or prevent) our right of free speech.

But do we really have a right to free speech? I feel anyone is capable of saying whatever they want, whenever they want, however, in most cases there will be repercussions. Free speech means just that, the ability to say whatever you want, whenever you want, but it is not always wise to do so, such as telling a judge in court to stick his head where the sun doesn't shine. The repercussions could be 180 days in jail for contempt, regardless of our supposed free speech rights in the U.S.

Wouldn't free speech rights mean something more along the lines of being able to say whatever we chose without facing any repercussions for having done so? I don't believe we really have rights of free speech, although we have the ability to say what we want when we want. Many people are under the belief that we have rights, as well as ability, but I believe they are mistaken about us having rights. Nothing in our Constitution that I am aware of gives U.S. citizens the 'right' of free speech (speech without repercussion). If there will be repercussions, it isn't really 'free' speech then, is it?

It is against the law to say anything that may be construed to threaten the life of the President. No matter who the president is at the time there will always be those who don't like him and will say things that could be interpreted as a real threat to his life, when it is actually little more than casual chitchat between neighbors. Could that not be interpreted as an infringement on our right to say what we chose? A law comes down from the government and the government, according to the 1st Amendment, is barred from 'infringing' on our free speech rights.

Atom, surely you were kidding when saying you hate everyone who is not American. People are all the same when we are born, no matter their nationality. Our differences arise during childhood when we have no one else to observe and copy other than those we grow up with. That is where our beliefs are founded and those beliefs can bring discord between people, especially when it comes to religious beliefs and territorial boundaries. We all bleed red. We all feel pain.

Thank you for the invitation, Cricket, I shall do so as many of the members here are of British nationality. I shall name it British MP Scandals.

Regards.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:49 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Allen your confusing your personal rage and government policy.
The first amendment does give you the right to free speech, but it doesn't give you to right to be heard. Plus free speech against your government not another countries government.

Plus there are laws that allow you to speak your mind at the proper place and time. Not when you feel like it. Nor does it force a private menu to host your anger or personal vendetta against anybody you feel deserves your wrath.

If it wasn't for laws limiting people to when they could use their freedom of speech we would have yelling matches all over the place. So yes, enjoy your freedom of speech, in a public place, with people listening to you. Notice I said "public place" which is land owned by the people for the people. NOT where ever you feel like using it.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:11 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Corneo, please go back up and read post #6 of this thread, just in case you missed that.

Here is the 1st Amendment of the Bill of Rights, word for word:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Where does it say anywhere in there, as you say,"The first amendment does give you the right to free speech"? It doesn't grant us free speech, it says "Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech..."

The 1st Amendment does not grant to us freedom of speech but merely limits governments from interfering in such.

I apologized, yet you choose to continue to castigate me for it?

Old 05-27-2009, 03:06 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Your correct. It doesn't say it gives you the right. It says, they can't take the right away.

Your forgetting the Bill of rights is a document to govern the government.
Not to give you an excuse to say what you want when you want and about who you want.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:16 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

(Sigh) You continue in the same vein. Now you are boring me.

I never said nor thought it was "an excuse".

And by the way, we all have the ability to say what we want, where we want, long as we are ready to face the repercussions of such action. I can say whatever I want on this forum, but I assure you I would be rightfully banned for doing so if it violates rules and policy, so obviously if I want to remain a member, I will watch my tongue, and I would advise you do the same.

Now which boot do you want me to lick, oh, mighty and all powerful castigator? Obviously my above apology was not good enough to merit your forgiveness...

Old 05-27-2009, 04:04 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Let's all chill okay?

Old 05-27-2009, 04:39 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Okay folks, this thread got out of hand way too quickly. A new member made a mistake, not knowing how we do things around here. We have all been there at some point. He gave us a heartfelt apology, so let's not get into a debate about semantics now. Let's all give each other the benefit of the doubt and move on from here. We are the friendliest webmaster community on the net, remember?

Old 05-29-2009, 08:55 PM
Senior Web Developer
Latest Blog:
None

While I do understand your frustration, I suppose the moderator of that forum had his reasons for banning you, and those reasons must be well explained in the user-agreement that you accept upon registration.

If you don't think the action taken by the moderator was appropriate, you should contact a forum administrator or a forum manager.

And if the reasons are not well-explained, or the ban is unjustified, then they fail as moderators/admins/managers and you shouldn't waste your time in that forum.

(+54 9) 1155 601 661

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues