Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 06-19-2009, 03:25 PM
Super Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongInTheArm View Post
I still think this is a simplistic way to gage a superpower.
I would have to agree with this as well. Yes, nuclear weapons tend to be in the hands of "superpowers" - U.S., U.K., China, Russia, and France. But, I don't think having nuclear weapons automatically makes you a "superpower." I think this is the case with Pakistan. It certainly gives Pakistan a lot more power, but "super" ? IDK I have trouble seeing Pakistan equally as powerful internationally as France or China or the U.K., blah blah.

Anyways, in regards to the question you keep asking, Atom .. "what is a superpower" that is a question that I don't think anyone has a real answer for. Doing a bit of research before I decided to make a reply here I came across a good quote,

Quote:
"A country that has the capacity to project dominating power and influence anywhere in the world, and sometimes, in more than one region of the globe at a time, and so may plausibly attain the status of global hegemon."
If you are reeeeally interested in what a superpower is, William T.R. Fox is the guy who helped coin the term in 1944 with the book The Superpowers: The United States, Britain and the Soviet Union – Their Responsibility for Peace. Nicholas Spykman is the first to use the term (in 1943), but I didn't see any reading materials from him.

Last edited by Brian; 06-19-2009 at 03:31 PM. Reason: added a sentence

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-19-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Atom if all it takes to be a superpower is having nuclear weapons, then your answer is nine. There is an interesting chart that lists the number of warheads each of these nine are believed to posses in the article.
Thanks.

Quote:
I still think this is a simplistic way to gage a superpower.
Oh really? Have a look at this:

"The dominant effects of a nuclear weapon where people are likely to be affected (blast and thermal radiation) are identical physical damage mechanisms to conventional explosives. However the energy produced by a nuclear explosive is millions of times more powerful per gram and the temperatures reached are briefly in the tens of millions of degrees."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects...ear_explosions

Do you realize how much more power we are talking about here, than that unleashed in Japan?

I don't think you do. Follow a few links in these wiki pages and do a little math. Most people just don't get it.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:20 PM

Why hell, you don't even have to do the math, the articles do it for you, you need only follow the links and do a little research. You try to explain to people just how much devastation we are taking here with JUST ONE modern warhead, and it just doesn't seem to sink in with most. Why the hell do you think we were so willing to get rid of so many weapons? Take a guess.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom View Post
Why the hell do you think we were so willing to get rid of so many weapons? Take a guess.
Ummm. Because they're not needed.
How many times can you blow Earth up?

Old 06-19-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
Ummm. Because they're not needed.
Exactly.
Quote:
How many times can you blow Earth up?
Once.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

I think they've kept enough to blow it up 10 times....

... in case the first nine times don't quite do the job.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:42 AM

Cool

Quote:
They can barely feed their own people, no where close are they to superpower status. (I think I'm turning into Yoda!). If China wasn't safeguarding their security they would have got their butts kicked a long time ago.

Nuclear weapons don't make a superpower in my opinion.

'Wipe out the US', is an exaggeration. Certainly inflict damage.

I think what this discussion requires is a definition of what is meant by the term 'superpower'. I think it is a combination of stability of government, scientific achievement, economic might and security, industrial capacity, military strength and reach, ...

It is as much about the development of a nation as it is about it's military capability. The UK no longer has the global reach, or the financial muscle, or industrial capacity. Perhaps in the past when Britain still had an Empire, say before the second world war, it was The world Superpower, but not any more.

i meant by the term "Superpower" is
much about the development of a nation, it's military capability & strength, stability of government, industrial capacity, scientifically and last but not the least Economically !!

Old 06-20-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palak View Post
i meant by the term "Superpower" is
much about the development of a nation, it's military capability & strength, stability of government, industrial capacity, scientifically and last but not the least Economically !!
I don't care what you meant.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:33 AM

Quote:
I think they've kept enough to blow it up 10 times....

... in case the first nine times don't quite do the job.
Are you and I the only people here that understand what it actually is that constitutes a superpower?
There seems to be a lot of deluded people here just dying to mix apples and oranges.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:49 AM

The ultimate weapons need not be used by the countries that possess them, they need only be usable. The countries that possess these ready weapons of ultimate destruction are superpowers.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:06 AM
Super Trooper

Quote:
Are you and I the only people here that understand what it actually is that constitutes a superpower?
Atom, you seem to think there's an actual definition of a superpower when there isn't.

Is Canada a superpower?

Old 06-20-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Atom, you seem to think there's an actual definition of a superpower when there isn't.
Good observation, Brian, and I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Is Canada a superpower?
Yes, their superpower status is *shared. I was reading in one of those wiki articles about that.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:25 AM

Check out the delivery systems and their respective ranges. It doesn't matter how big your's is if you can't get it up and to your desired target.

Pakistan, North Korea, Israel, just do not have the global reach.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:33 AM

Yes, I think you've got a point there, Sita.

It seems to me that even one superpower is too many.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:39 AM
Contributing Member

We need more diplomacy as a species than pre-emptive strikes. More compassion and less killing and then everyone globally will stop looking at whos the next superpower.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

India is going to be the next super power country in terms of economic growth,millitary expansion,Nuclear inventions and population as well.India's having the third largest military in the world.India has also got powerful nuclear devices as well.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

It's pretty amazing that on earth, all countries are fighting each other, but in space we can set apart our cultures and differences to pursue the same goal.

Why can't we do that on earth?

Old 07-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Elements View Post
It's pretty amazing that on earth, all countries are fighting each other, but in space we can set apart our cultures and differences to pursue the same goal.

Perhaps because, in space, it's very apparent that we need each other to survive and that keeps us in check.
It's a very vulnerable position to be in.

Down here on Earth, we tend to feel invincible and superior to each other.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

That's pretty sad to feel invincible and superior to each other, because it gets you nowhere.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:43 PM
Senior Web Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Elements View Post

Because we are all different despite the fact that we are all humans.

This is more evident in Europe, pick any spot in the european map, travel 300kms from it in any direction (the distance between Boston and NY) and you will see something completely different than in the spot you picked, cities or villages built in different periods of history, people from different nations speaking separate languages, different religions and beliefs, architectures, races, life styles...

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues