Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 06-07-2009, 07:36 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

VT program helps students explore gender

What do you think about a public school district (Burlington, Vermont) funding an after-school program at the Vermont Queer Youth Center, entitled 'Gendertopia'?

I'm not kidding...

VT program helps students explore gender

By WILSON RING, Associated Press Writer Wilson Ring, Associated Press Writer – Sun Jun 7, 2:24 pm ET

BURLINGTON, Vt. – Like plenty of other high school students, a group of about a dozen Vermont teenagers trundled into a youth center one day every week this spring to participate in an after-school program.

But their program was different; it focused on gender.

The nine-week program, partially funded by the Burlington School District, was held at Vermont's Queer Youth Center and called "Gendertopia."

Gay, lesbian and straight students discussed a wide range of topics, from the characters in the book and movie "Twilight," to taking photos around the city that show the different ways gender is portrayed in popular culture.

"Most people come into it thinking, 'Oh, there's two genders and two sexualities' ... ," said David Kingsbury, a 16-year-old junior at Burlington High School who signed up for the program. "People assume it's boy and girl, but it's so much more than that. There's a whole world out there full of different genders."

Read complete article here

Is this opening Pandoras box using taxpayer funds or merely enlightening young minds? I think it's Vermont (or was it New Hampshire?) that will legalize gay marriage in September.

Your thoughts?

Need an extra $300-$500 each weekend - in cash? Get Paid In Cash!

Learn How To Buy Almost Anything Wholesale and Save 70-90% Off Retail. Wal Mart does NOT sell for less! The Top 250

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-09-2009, 12:39 AM
Individualist

Teach whatever you want as long as you do it without using money forcibly taken from taxpayers.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:03 AM
Latest Blog:
None

I'm from about 80 miles south of Burlington and I'd just like to say one thing, Vermonters are a herd that's been diluted considerably by city folks from surrounding states. Me, I'm a real Vermonter. Real Vermonters don't ski.

I don't know, I suppose it sounds ok for the small percentage of kids that actually do have gender issues.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:23 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Sounds reasonable enough - 12 or so kids signed up - it's good that they should have a place to discuss these things. Whether it should be run by a school, I don't know, but it should be run somewhere and school is probably the best bet.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:44 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

How do you feel about taxes you've paid being used for something that conflicts with your personal beliefs?

Need an extra $300-$500 each weekend - in cash? Get Paid In Cash!

Learn How To Buy Almost Anything Wholesale and Save 70-90% Off Retail. Wal Mart does NOT sell for less! The Top 250

Old 06-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Farlow View Post
How do you feel about taxes you've paid being used for something that conflicts with your personal beliefs?
Paying taxes conflicts with my personal beliefs.

j/k, I think that taxes are a necessity and I've never really objected to paying them in general. However, something that I have always objected to is voting in a duality political system, which elects the people that decide how to spend them. That has somehow never seemed a fair procedure to me, and still doesn't, regardless of the fact that I haven't come up with anything better.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Senior Web Developer
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Farlow View Post
And I feel good about it, and I'm glad it happens. It's called democracy.

You vote for people to represent you, and those people make decisions based on what they think it's best for the people who voted them. If you do not approve how they make those decisions, you always have the option of not voting them.

You also have the option to live in a country where democracy does not exist and only minorities get benefits (ie: Venezuela, Cuba...), but I prefer a democracy with an imperfect government, where our leaders do things opposed to my beliefs. It's the lesser of two evils I think.

(+54 9) 1155 601 661

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues