Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 06-09-2009, 08:39 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Your choice: Citizen of the World or Citizen of the U.S.A.

I've not liked nor disliked Newt Gingrich over the years. I haven't always agreed with him, but sometimes he speaks words of wisdom at just the right time, and I believe these times are the right times for him to say what he did.

Newt Gingrich spoke at the GOP Congressional Dinner last night and something he said hit home with me and will perhaps for other Americans as well.

There's been a push for a One World Government for quite awhile now but it seems to me the push has greatly escalated since Barack Obama became president. Americans are slowly but surely being stripped of our rights, 'inalienable' rights which come from God, not from our government.

As Independence Day is quickly approaching on July 4th, please allow me to post a portion of Gingrich's speech here. It begins at approximately the 8:50 mark in the video (link to video is at the bottom of this post).

Newt Gingrich:

"Let me be clear. I am not a citizen of the world. I think the entire concept is intellectual nonsense and stunningly dangerous. There is no world sovereignty, there is no world system of law, there is in fact no circumstance under which I would like to be a citizen of North Korea, Zimbabwe, Venezuela, Cuba or Russia. I am a citizen of the United States of America and the rest of this speech is about the United States of America.

"America is a unique civilization. Lis and I, a couple years ago, did a movie called Rediscovering God In America, which is a walking tour of the city. We did it deliberately, it was our answer to the Ninth Circuit Court, which was in fact irrationally out of touch with this country and which actually ruled that 'One Nation Under God' was unconstitutional, grounds in my judgement for abolishing the court and re-recruiting it.

"That is not a radical position. Thomas Jefferson eliminated 18 out of 35 federal judges, over one half of all federal judges. I am merely proposing one Court of Appeals. I am a moderate on this issue.

"But the core of this is a very straightforward, historic debate. It's not a theological debate, it's not a religious debate, despite every effort of the elite media and the academic left to distort it. It's a fundamental question of political history. If you go to the National Archive you will find the Declaration Of Independence, a political document. It says we are endowed by our creator with certain unalienable rights, among which are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

"This is fundamental to the nature of America. We are the only country in history which says your personal rights come from God directly to you, and you 'loan' the government sovereignty, but the center of sovereignty in America is inevitably and inexorably with the citizen because it is unalienable. It's the core document of this country.

"That is why quotas and Sotomayor are wrong, that is why rationing in health care is wrong, no government bureaucrat has the right to take from you the rights that God gave you and rationing under health care is inevitably limiting your life at the whim of a bureaucrat and at the manipulation of a politician.

"The greatest articulator of this belief was the first Republican president, a man who tragically presided over a civil war in which 620,000 Americans died to end slavery. Unlike President Obama's Cairo speech, it was not an act of happiness, it was a fundamental and stunningly painful expression of our willingness to live and die for the beliefs that make men free.

"It's worth looking at Lincoln because he is speaking only four years after the founding of the Republican party, and by the way, if you want absolute proof you can not teach American history honestly and accurately without reference to God, go to the Lincoln Memorial, read the second inaugural, March, 1865, 703 words, 14 references to God, 2 quotes from the Bible, and explain to me how you would teach Lincoln accurately and honestly without explaining his attitudes.

"I'm going to quote from Lincoln for a minute. It's a little bit longer than good speech making tolerates, but I'm doing it quite deliberately. I want to reset in you the passion, the sincerity, the authenticity of the Declaration of Independence in making us a unique country.

"In his 1858 debates with Douglas, only 4 years after the founding of our party, Lincoln said the following:

"Posterity might look up again to the Declaration of Independence and take courage to renew the battle which their fathers began, so that truth and justice and mercy and all the humane and Christian virtues might not be extinguished from the land, so that no man would hereafter dare to limit and circumscribe the great principles on which the temple of liberty was being built.

"Now, my countrymen, if you have been taught doctrines conflicting with the great landmarks of the Declaration of Independence, if you have listened to suggestions which would take away from its grandeur and mutilate the fair symmetry of it's proportions, if you have been inclined to believe that all men are not created equal in those unalienable rights innumerated by our chart of liberty, let me entreat you to come back, return to the fountain whose waters spring close by the blood of the revolution.

"Think nothing of me, take no thought for the political fate of any man whatsoever, but come back to the truths that are in the Declaration of Independence. You may do anything with me you choose, if you will but heed these sacred principles. You may not only defeat me for the Senate, but you may take me and put me to death.

"While pretending no indifference to Earthly honors, I do claim to be accuated in this contest by something higher than an anxiety for office. I charge you to drop every paltry and insignificant thought for any man's success. It is nothing. I am nothing. Judge Douglas is nothing.

"But do not destroy that immortal emblem of humanity, the Declaration of American Independence."

"That is what this is all about.

"That is why I am a citizen of the United States of America and not a citizen of the world."

Full video of his speech here:
http://sroblog.com/2009/06/08/newt-g...sional-dinner/

Need an extra $300-$500 each weekend - in cash? Get Paid In Cash!

Learn How To Buy Almost Anything Wholesale and Save 70-90% Off Retail. Wal Mart does NOT sell for less! The Top 250

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Astronaut!

It isn't a choice between The World or The USA.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:30 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Astronaut? Were you referring to myself or to Newt Gingrich?

Learn How To Buy Almost Anything Wholesale and Save 70-90% Off Retail. Wal Mart does NOT sell for less! The Top 250

Old 06-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Individualist

I'm sick and tired of the GOP. If a libertarian had made that speech, it would have been meaningful.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Farlow View Post
Astronaut? Were you referring to myself or to Newt Gingrich?
LOL!

I was answering your question. I would prefer to become an astronaut. I don't buy into the options you provided, especially as we are all already citizens of the world, whether we like it or not, and whether we choose to participate in it or not.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Farlow View Post
Your choice: Citizen of the World or Citizen of the U.S.A. (...)
Citizen of the U.S.A., of course, as there is no such thing as citizen of the world unless the primary definition of the word citizen is compromised by one of it's secondary definitions, being that which only states the obvious.

Last edited by Atom; 06-09-2009 at 01:06 PM. Reason: added quote

Old 06-09-2009, 03:38 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Ha! I thought you were intimating that Gingrich was a spacecase, which wouldn't be too far from the truth with him sometimes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongInTheArm View Post
LOL!

I was answering your question. I would prefer to become an astronaut. I don't buy into the options you provided, especially as we are all already citizens of the world, whether we like it or not, and whether we choose to participate in it or not.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:23 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom View Post
Citizen of the U.S.A., of course, as there is no such thing as citizen of the world unless the primary definition of the word citizen is compromised by one of it's secondary definitions, being that which only states the obvious.
Primary, secondary, tertiary, ..., what's next, quandary?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/citizen
Quote:
A native, inhabitant, or denizen of a particular place: "We have learned to be citizens of the world, members of the human community" Franklin D. Roosevelt.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:37 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Primary, secondary, tertiary, ..., what's next, quandary?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/citizen
Did you not understand my post? If that is the case, which it seems to be, I can explain further, but I'd really rather not unless I really have to.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:42 AM
Latest Blog:
None

I was just messing dude

Old 06-10-2009, 07:49 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
I was just messing dude
Oh, good. I wasn't sure because it is a little tricky.

This is the primary definition of the word citizen:

1. a native or naturalized member of a state or nation who owes allegiance to its government and is entitled to its protection (distinguished from alien ).

all other definitions are secondary, even though they may be technically tertiary and etc, such as the following:

3. an inhabitant, or denizen: The deer is a citizen of our woods.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:04 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Now, one might ask; what makes this so, Atom?

The answer is; the context of the topic.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues