Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 10-04-2004, 10:17 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom
Do you believe those figures to be accurate, Aaron?

Out of a random sample group let's say, of 100 American young adults, you believe that only 15 would be able to point to Afghanistan, Iraq, or Israel on a map? Is that correct?
I did not run the test on the people and am not certain as to what "American young adults" really means as per this survey, but if you took a group of a few thousand 20-30 yr old people at random from the US I would bet that well under half of them could point out the location of all three countries.

Most citizens are not actively engaged in the world outside of their direct head on vision. If you think they are sit on a street and listen to the words of people passing you. Go to a mall...go wherever a broad cross section of society is. Listen to what they say and you will likely find yourself disappointed.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-04-2004, 10:23 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Ok .. just checking.

I realize that you are passionate about world/American politics, but do you think posting such non-sense actually helps your cause or you as an individual?

A lot of what you have to say seems reasonable to me, but posting figures like that just counters it, and negatively affects my view of your overall reasoning.

I would think it would be more like 50 to 70 % at least, that would be able to point to one of those places, considering the fact alone that most maps have names plastered all over them, you know?

Last edited by Atom; 10-04-2004 at 10:27 PM.

Old 10-04-2004, 10:31 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by awall19
I did not run the test on the people and am not certain as to what "American young adults" really means as per this survey, but if you took a group of a few thousand 20-30 yr old people at random from the US I would bet that well under half of them could point out the location of all three countries.

Most citizens are not actively engaged in the world outside of their direct head on vision. If you think they are sit on a street and listen to the words of people passing you. Go to a mall...go wherever a broad cross section of society is. Listen to what they say and you will likely find yourself disappointed.
I'm sure we are not talking about the average college educated citizen. In fact, it sounds to me like a study of high school drop outs.

Old 10-04-2004, 10:32 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom
Ok .. just checking.

I realize that you are passionate about world/American politics, but do you think posting such non-sense actually helps your cause or you as an individual?

A lot of what you have to say seems reasonable to me, but posting figures like that just counters it, and negatively affects my view of your overall reasoning.

I would think it would be more like 50 to 70 % at least, considering that most maps have names, you know?
I actually am not all that passionate yet... still working on marketing and learning about the web before I try to get too involved in political stuff.

many people never leave the US. I am the only member of my family that has. a large # of people are illiterate. a large # of people are just not concerned with things outside of their own little worlds.

we stress the value of the individual so much and flash so much unimportant media at people that most people do not see the big picture and do not even really ever figure out the meaning of life or what they should do...like most others I still have a ton of learning to do.

occassionally it has seemed that I have a photographic memory AND I know I am a terrible speller. how does that work? I don't know.

what I do know is that we all have our strengths and weaknesses and our media and our culture does not properly promote the value of reading books or learning from abroad. we stress the concepts that "WE ARE RIGHT" and "WE ARE THE BEST" without adequately exploring the alternatives.

Old 10-04-2004, 10:34 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by chane
I'm sure we are not talking about the average college educated citizen. In fact, it sounds to me like a study of high school drop outs.
Grade school dropouts would be more like it, IMO.

Old 10-04-2004, 10:36 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by awall19
I actually am not all that passionate yet... still working on marketing and learning about the web before I try to get too involved in political stuff.

many people never leave the US. I am the only member of my family that has. a large # of people are illiterate. a large # of people are just not concerned with things outside of their own little worlds.

we stress the value of the individual so much and flash so much unimportant media at people that most people do not see the big picture and do not even really ever figure out the meaning of life or what they should do...like most others I still have a ton of learning to do.

occassionally it has seemed that I have a photographic memory AND I know I am a terrible speller. how does that work? I don't know.

what I do know is that we all have our strengths and weaknesses and our media and our culture does not properly promote the value of reading books or learning from abroad. we stress the concepts that "WE ARE RIGHT" and "WE ARE THE BEST" without adequately exploring the alternatives.

This sounds reasonable to me.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues