Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 09-27-2004, 09:20 AM
Latest Blog:
None

War on Syria/Iran? Thoughts?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6099353/site/newsweek/

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

With the biggest deficit in history following tax cuts for the rich, an ongoing war with no end in sight, the US military at the lowest level of readiness and thinly spread between Afghanistan and Iraq....is it really a good time to expand the war?

The wheels have already started turning in the process to institute the draft. If the "war" on terror is to continue, there will be no choice but to have a draft, we simply don't have enough troops to maintain multiple fronts indefinitely.

I know a lot of the folks here on v7 are draft age....do you think its necessary for you and your friends and family to go and die in Syria?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-27-2004, 09:33 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Let's just finish the TWO wars we've already started.

This is all BS!

This damn Iraq war is about Israel and oil...NOTHING MORE! Anyone that disagrees is a donkey!

Bush and his pals think America should rule the world. THAT'S WHY WE CAN'T POSSIBLY WIN! Does anyone in that region want a democracy? No, they don't!

Clearly we were lied to in order to justify this war. That alone tells me it's WRONG!

Old 09-27-2004, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I think your troops are already bored. Not sure you can change these peoples views. I wouldn't like some Arsenal fan coming into my living room and forcing me to be fan, and telling me how it is. So you took out the loony, but made loads more loonies, they wont listen and you'll be there for years. Yes its mainly about money.

Old 09-27-2004, 11:35 AM
Latest Blog:
None

It's partly routine - but I guarantee that if Bush gets into a second term, he will make Iran a "public enemy number one". The manipulation of media to try and connect Al Qaeda with Iran has already begun.

At the end of the day, US geopolitical strategy aims to democratise the Middle East and make it more open to US influence. However, a nuclear-empowered Iran, sitting in the midst of the world's major petroleum supplies, could serve as a rallying point to empowered anti-US opposition.

The US has been doing some real sabre rattling over Iran for some time - it's unlikely to attack Syria, though. And while the US is already bogged down in Afghanistan and Iraq, it would be absolutely foolish, from every point of view, to go into Iran as well.

Old 09-27-2004, 12:16 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Matter
The wheels have already started turning in the process to institute the draft. If the "war" on terror is to continue, there will be no choice but to have a draft, we simply don't have enough troops to maintain multiple fronts indefinitely.

I know a lot of the folks here on v7 are draft age....do you think its necessary for you and your friends and family to go and die in Syria?
In order to have a draft certain things will have to happen. First you would have to prove that your current active duty personel is not sufficient to continue with a war. Then all the active duty reserves are called to action. Once that is done then all the ready-reserves are called back for active duty. The ready-reserves are people who served in the military but did not complete at least 8 years of active duty. So if you sign up for 2 years in the army you will automatically be in the inactive ready-reserves for and additional 6 years. I believe there is another step after this before the gov would start considering a draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Matter
With the biggest deficit in history following tax cuts for the rich, an ongoing war with no end in sight, the US military at the lowest level of readiness and thinly spread between Afghanistan and Iraq....is it really a good time to expand the war?
Second, do you think the defecit was created overnight? You also don't seem to understand how the tax cuts actually work. All income taxpayers benefit from President Bush's tax cuts. The reality is that President Bush's tax cuts have made the income tax more progressive.

Top One Percent of Earners: The percentage of income taxes paid by the top one percent of earners will be higher this year under the tax cuts (32.3 percent) than without the tax cuts (31.6 percent).

Middle Class: Under President Bush's tax cuts, the middle 20 percent of earners will pay just 5.4 percent of all income taxes this year. Without the tax cuts they would pay a higher 6.4 percent of all income taxes.

Bottom 80 Percent of Earners: Under President Bush's tax cuts, the bottom 80 percent of earners would pay just 17.8 percent of all income taxes this year. Without the tax cuts they would pay a higher 21.6 percent of all income taxes.

And finally war is never good for anyone. We just have to hope and pray for the best and be supportive of our troops whether or not they should be at war. As a former Air Force pilot I am very proud of every single one.

Dark_Matter, this is not a personal attack on you so I hope you don't think it this. I also hope that I did not say anything to offend you. You asked for our opinions and this is mine.

imaginemn

Old 09-27-2004, 12:23 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Second, do you think the defecit was created overnight?
Yes!

Old 09-27-2004, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

lol pretty much

Old 09-27-2004, 12:57 PM
Super Trooper
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Anyone that disagrees is a donkey!
Is this where I start making my donkey noises?

Old 09-27-2004, 01:00 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

if they attack syria, then, lebanon won't exist anymore !

Old 09-27-2004, 01:00 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Anyone besides you, Brian!

Old 09-27-2004, 01:03 PM
Super Trooper
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGR
Anyone besides you, Brian!

Old 09-27-2004, 01:26 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginemn
In order to have a draft certain things will have to happen. First you would have to prove that your current active duty personel is not sufficient to continue with a war. Then all the active duty reserves are called to action. Once that is done then all the ready-reserves are called back for active duty. The ready-reserves are people who served in the military but did not complete at least 8 years of active duty. So if you sign up for 2 years in the army you will automatically be in the inactive ready-reserves for and additional 6 years. I believe there is another step after this before the gov would start considering a draft.
Thanks for your comments Imaginemn, I welcome the chance for a level headed discussion.

http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0921-10.htm
This link indicates to me that most of these requirements have already been met, or could plausibly be met in the near future. The ready reserves are already being called in. We would still require a vote from congress to institute the draft. All of this nonwithstanding, do you believe we can expand our military action with the current state of the armed forces?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginemn
Second, do you think the defecit was created overnight? You also don't seem to understand how the tax cuts actually work. All income taxpayers benefit from President Bush's tax cuts. The reality is that President Bush's tax cuts have made the income tax more progressive.

Top One Percent of Earners: The percentage of income taxes paid by the top one percent of earners will be higher this year under the tax cuts (32.3 percent) than without the tax cuts (31.6 percent).

Middle Class: Under President Bush's tax cuts, the middle 20 percent of earners will pay just 5.4 percent of all income taxes this year. Without the tax cuts they would pay a higher 6.4 percent of all income taxes.

Bottom 80 Percent of Earners: Under President Bush's tax cuts, the bottom 80 percent of earners would pay just 17.8 percent of all income taxes this year. Without the tax cuts they would pay a higher 21.6 percent of all income taxes.
Overnight? No, way, even Bush couldn't pull of such a superhuman feat! It took him almost 4 years to do all that! http://www.kowaldesign.com/budget/

The Congressional Budget Office was not very supportive of the tax cuts in their Sept 10 "snapshot" of the US economy. http://www.epinet.org/content.cfm/we...chive_09102003 "Largely as a result of the Bush Administration’s recent tax cuts, the federal debt is on track to increase by $4.614 trillion in the next 10 years."

Again, I welcome levelheaded answers of all kinds...I would like to have trust and believe in my government again; I'd love to be proven wrong.

Last edited by Dark_Matter; 09-27-2004 at 01:29 PM.

Old 09-27-2004, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

People dont really understand what is going on I can see that. Sometimes you have to attack first to keep from being attacked. Did anyone forget 9-11 if Clinton had done something more during his terms in a good chance that would not have happened. Did we do anything when they tried blowing up the WTC first time around or the navy ship? Nope just let it go by. If 9-11 had happened in each of our home towns I am sure each of would support the war even more than we do. If we were Isreali people having to defend ourselves eveyday from possible termination of even existing we would support it more. Look in the news no they are not for the war they dont even mention the good things that happening. All ther news is about reporting the bad stuff that happens so where does that leave you. Maybe the person there reporting bad things about is not so much that way after all. Look at Iraq before we came in they had rape chambers torture chambers all kinds of things we couldnt imagine or dont even want to. The news has to say there was no reason us going if not only for that. No weapons of Mass destruction ha. Everybody forgets the Kurds who were attacked with checmicals and to this day you cant even live in that area. Where did the chemicals go before we came in. I read an intelgence report about where but it is no use posting that as people would be stupid about it all over again.Syria supports the Hamas and other groups attacking Isreal and also us. Iran is trying desperatly to get a nuke. I could say more but it comes down that people dont appreciate the sacrifices our soldiers make in protecting us overseas and where ever. Its a sad day for America when it gets down to that. If I were not disabled I would join the military. Whats more you really want know how it is going to end read your Bible.

Last edited by docquesting; 09-27-2004 at 02:02 PM.

Old 09-27-2004, 02:15 PM
Latest Blog:
None

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
par·a·graph
n.
one of several distinct subdivisions of a text intended to separate ideas; the beginning is usually marked by a new indented line

Old 09-27-2004, 02:18 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGR
par·a·graph
n.
one of several distinct subdivisions of a text intended to separate ideas; the beginning is usually marked by a new indented line

10 million paragraphs...

Old 09-27-2004, 02:19 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGR
par·a·graph
n.

You should see some of my old posts! LOL

I've gotten better about it though I think.

Old 09-27-2004, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Yall guys are to cotton pickin picky when it comes to typin stuff lol

Old 09-27-2004, 02:23 PM
Latest Blog:
None

HA- 'cotton pickin' picky!'

I like that!

Old 09-27-2004, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Its a "real" southern thing you prbly wouldnt understand unless you were from here lol

Old 09-27-2004, 02:32 PM
Latest Blog:
None

my view on the war on terrorism:
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2004/9/prweb156194.php

marketed in a swing state near you on Google AdWords

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues