Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 10-09-2004, 01:25 PM

Republican vs Democrat - What's the Difference?

Im english, and know little about US politics, can you guys explain the main differences between the major parties and major candidates?

To me, they all look just the same, as our parties and leaders look in the uk...

added: forgive me, where are my manners. My name is Nick W and i run threadwatch.org - which is why i first came here, damn glad i did too, nice forums ;-)

Cheers

Nick

Last edited by Nick W; 10-09-2004 at 01:29 PM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-09-2004, 01:54 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

http://markshannon.com/RepublicanDemocrat.htm

Old 10-09-2004, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bradley
Oh geez, if that article was any more right leaning it would fall over. I believe he asked for a non-partisan view of what the difference between Rep and Dem are, nice try with that link though.

Gimme a minute to pull together some links that are less partisan and more accurate in their statements.

Old 10-09-2004, 02:31 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

^ snob

Old 10-09-2004, 02:35 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion
^ snob
haha, snob? I didnt realize that calling someone on a bull**** link was being a snob. My apologies.

Old 10-09-2004, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

lol

Old 10-09-2004, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

The list of issues that divide the republicans and democrats in a definitive way is actually quite small. Also, the terms can be misleading since they change/adapt somewhat based on who is the leader of that party at the time. For instance, right now Bush is about as far right as you are going to find in American politics, I don't think you can call Bush a 'typical conservative'. It is often easier (and more accurate) to define them as left/right, though I think the center has shifted a lot to the left over the past 30 years, but its the best we got.

Both parties believe in the freedom of the individual, protecting the state, providing education and growing the economy/jobs, in nearly all cases the difference is in how they each believe it should be implemented.

I think the easiest way to explain the left/right is that the right bases their views on religion while the left doesn't. That is a very broad statement, but in nearly all cases if you look at why one party believes in something and the other party doesn't, it is because of religion.

The other major difference is in their view on their responsibility to society as a whole. The left is willing to sacrifice people at the top to bring up the people at the bottom, where as the right believe you create a system that allows people to create the maximum amount with little intervention from the state. In simplistic terms, the right measures their success by the height that the top reach while the left measures their success by the height the bottom reaches.

Ok, that's my view of the differences in general, now specifically (and this is slanted with my own feelings so stop reading if you are offended by someone expressing their views ). The right are a bunch of heartless fascists who would sell out their own mother to make a buck and don't believe in the rights of the individual. They believe that everyone should have their view and if you don't, then they are going to kick your ass or make your life hell. The left are a bunch of hippie tree huggers who would rather save a tree then make a buck and would rather bend over backwards to make someone happy then stand up for a belief. To me though, I will take the lefts short comings over the rights. Since I have no interest in being ruled by a government that forces their religious views onto society (outlawing abortion, forcing religious studies in schools) and would rather live in a state that makes less money but everyone is happy, then one that is uber weealthy but has people suffering.

I think thats the longest post I've ever had on v7n, for those that just skipped to the end, gfy. lol. For a good laugh on this topic, check out http://law.brotherofyeshua.com/WRdemocrat.htm , anytime someone puts "Satan Wants You To Vote Democrat" you know it's going to be amusing.

Old 10-09-2004, 03:12 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bradley
...and that link isn't biased at all.

If you are serious about learning the difference between the two parties, it'd be best to do some reading. Republicans are more of a conservative party. The Democrats are a liberal party.

Follow the links there, and read on, follow the links inside those as well. And you'd be best to ignore that URL above unless ignorance is your thing.

I'm not sure if Stephen posted that link in jest or not... but a thought just occurred to me about why when someone asks to explain the difference between the two parties, one on the right would be too afraid to give non-biased helpful information. If the right wing platform is so just and good, it should be able to stand on its own merits. If it was in jest, ignore this paragraph. If it was posted as fact, does it bother you that you have to lie to make your political party sound more appealing than it really is?

Last edited by evilregis; 10-09-2004 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Secondary thought...

Old 10-09-2004, 03:13 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Nice post Rivux.

Old 10-09-2004, 03:58 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivux
The list of issues that divide the republicans and democrats in a definitive way is actually quite small. Also, the terms can be misleading since they change/adapt somewhat based on who is the leader of that party at the time. For instance, right now Bush is about as far right as you are going to find in American politics, I don't think you can call Bush a 'typical conservative'. It is often easier (and more accurate) to define them as left/right, though I think the center has shifted a lot to the left over the past 30 years, but its the best we got.

Both parties believe in the freedom of the individual, protecting the state, providing education and growing the economy/jobs, in nearly all cases the difference is in how they each believe it should be implemented.

I think the easiest way to explain the left/right is that the right bases their views on religion while the left doesn't. That is a very broad statement, but in nearly all cases if you look at why one party believes in something and the other party doesn't, it is because of religion.

The other major difference is in their view on their responsibility to society as a whole. The left is willing to sacrifice people at the top to bring up the people at the bottom, where as the right believe you create a system that allows people to create the maximum amount with little intervention from the state. In simplistic terms, the right measures their success by the height that the top reach while the left measures their success by the height the bottom reaches.

Ok, that's my view of the differences in general, now specifically (and this is slanted with my own feelings so stop reading if you are offended by someone expressing their views ). The right are a bunch of heartless fascists who would sell out their own mother to make a buck and don't believe in the rights of the individual. They believe that everyone should have their view and if you don't, then they are going to kick your ass or make your life hell. The left are a bunch of hippie tree huggers who would rather save a tree then make a buck and would rather bend over backwards to make someone happy then stand up for a belief. To me though, I will take the lefts short comings over the rights. Since I have no interest in being ruled by a government that forces their religious views onto society (outlawing abortion, forcing religious studies in schools) and would rather live in a state that makes less money but everyone is happy, then one that is uber weealthy but has people suffering.

I think thats the longest post I've ever had on v7n, for those that just skipped to the end, gfy. lol. For a good laugh on this topic, check out http://law.brotherofyeshua.com/WRdemocrat.htm , anytime someone puts "Satan Wants You To Vote Democrat" you know it's going to be amusing.

Interesting link that brotherofyeshua one there. Yes laughable but I see it does have some, IMO, rather insightful views on politics.

Old 10-09-2004, 06:35 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
The right are a bunch of heartless fascists who would sell out their own mother to make a buck and don't believe in the rights of the individual.
The left does not even recognize that individuals have any rights. Why else do they keep insisting in enslaving those who have to support the parasites and the incompetent.

Welfare was not invented by the left because they love individual rights. o'contrare.

Max

Old 10-09-2004, 06:46 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBot.Com
The left does not even recognize that individuals have any rights. Why else do they keep insisting in enslaving those who have to support the parasites and the incompetent.

Welfare was not invented by the left because they love individual rights. o'contrare.
Its not enslaving, its called helping out the less fortunate. If people consider helping others as 'enlsavement' then I feel sorry for them. From your welfare statement Im guessing you are a Limbaugh listener, that is one of his big 'things'. In fact, welfare was created as temporary assistance for those in need. Just because some people(parasites) choose to exploit the welfare system doesn't mean the left approves of them doing it.

As for the incompetent, well unfortunately not everyone is born with average intelligence or born perfectly healthy. Some people have physical limitations and others have mental limitations that hinder their ability to earn a decent living. That is not anything that they caused or even want, the fact that you would attack them is appalling and a real statement on your compassion for others.

Old 10-09-2004, 06:57 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Its not enslaving, its called helping out the less fortunate. If people consider helping others as 'enlsavement' then I feel sorry for them.
When you steal from others under the guse of "law" to give to someone else its a crime, it is unjust and slavery applies to the state of affairs. Bleeding heart liberals seem to think they have the authority and right to steal from others "for the greater good" and this is pathetic.

Max

Old 10-09-2004, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
When you steal from others under the guse of "law" to give to someone else its a crime, it is unjust and slavery applies to the state of affairs. Bleeding heart liberals seem to think they have the authority and right to steal from others "for the greater good" and this is pathetic.

Max
Steal? I am sorry, I didnt realize that paying taxes was stealing. So what do you propose, that no one pays any taxes, ever?

Old 10-09-2004, 07:04 PM
Super Trooper
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:

Max
Glad I'm not the only one who disagreed with that rediculous opinion.

*thumbs up*

Old 10-09-2004, 07:04 PM
Latest Blog:
None

I propose government get back to its role.

When my taxes go to pay for someone else's children's food, schools and clothes I have a problem with that.

56 million people were born on welfare and 93% of them have been arrested for violent crimes.

23 million parasites live on welfare and do nothing but multiply.

yeah, I say my taxes should not pay for such injustice!

Max

Old 10-09-2004, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Can you supply a reference for those facts you just stated please.

Also, I am guessing that you have never been close to someone who was unable to fend for themselves. Someone who needed treatment to function on a daily basis, or even to stay alive. Treatment that so often costs considerably more then someone can make to pay for it. In your world, anyone who is born that can't fend for themselves is a drag on society and should be left to die. It is a shame that you feel that way, but I respect it, I just hope I never have to live in it.

Old 10-09-2004, 07:41 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivux
Can you supply a reference for those facts you just stated please.

Also, I am guessing that you have never been close to someone who was unable to fend for themselves. Someone who needed treatment to function on a daily basis, or even to stay alive. Treatment that so often costs considerably more then someone can make to pay for it. In your world, anyone who is born that can't fend for themselves is a drag on society and should be left to die. It is a shame that you feel that way, but I respect it, I just hope I never have to live in it.
Surely your not implying that even a decent fraction of welfare is going to supply aid to people like you just described.

Old 10-09-2004, 07:46 PM
Individualist

I'm curious. Who here thinks that most people on welfare in America would starve or be homeless if that welfare wasn't available?

Old 10-09-2004, 07:51 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

The majority wouldn't starve or be homeless. I live in Georgia where we have disproportionally high welfare rolls. While out making my daily sales calls I see many, many 20 - 40 year old males sitting on porches and just screwing around in yards. Middle of the day on a Tuesday and they're just hanging out waiting on the check to show up. They would become part of the work force if the checks stopped coming.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues