Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 09-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

White House reports 1 million jobs saved, created

"White House economists said Thursday that the Obama administration's recovery efforts have saved or created more than one million jobs so far, an optimistic report that economists cautioned was preliminary and uncertain.

President Barack Obama has promised that his $787 billion stimulus plan will create or save 3.5 million jobs by the end of next year. But the economy has fared worse than the White House predicted when it pitched the jobs plan and officials have sought to beat back criticism that the results did not justify the huge combination of tax cuts, state aid and government spending."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090910/..._stimulus_jobs

"the Obama administration's recovery efforts have saved or created more than one million jobs so far"

Yeah right, creating jobs that pay 50% less than before, thanks guys you saved us.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Elements View Post
Yeah right, creating jobs that pay 50% less than before, thanks guys you saved us.
I wonder what the minimum wage is now if jobs are only paying 50% salary than before.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dWhite View Post
I wonder what the minimum wage is now if jobs are only paying 50% salary than before.
Well all the good jobs has been reduced around 50% in our state, and most contruction jobs that pay $24 per hour before are not longer available. What President Obama and his administration gave with the bailout are either money to cheap construction companies that pay peanuts or green jobs that pay no more than $10 per hour.

Minimum wage is around $8 per hour, can you live with that? NO

Old 09-10-2009, 12:18 PM
v7n Mentor

Anything that comes out of the White House as far as how many jobs created or 'saved' is speculation. And you know those in power will always fudge the figures as much as they can to make themselves look better.

How many jobs were 'lost'? Do they ever report that from the White House? No, that comes out in some economic report that is buried in the bottom of the news where few see it.

You can create as many new jobs as you want, you can say you 'saved' jobs, but if the end result is a net loss in the number of jobs for that time period, we're in a heap of trouble.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Community Builder

Quote:
hmm, I have to disagree with this statement
I've been working for myself for the past 3 years and recently started looking for a job outside my house.
I found one less than a month later that is paying the same thing I had when I was working for my best client online.
I know there are many who are still looking for work, but in my case I was able to find a great job and it's even for the state!
I'm not saying that was directly related to Obama or not, but I know I now have a secure paycheck each week & I'm very thankful for that.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Sheley View Post
hmm, I have to disagree with this statement
I've been working for myself for the past 3 years and recently started looking for a job outside my house.
I found one less than a month later that is paying the same thing I had when I was working for my best client online.
I know there are many who are still looking for work, but in my case I was able to find a great job and it's even for the state!
I'm not saying that was directly related to Obama or not, but I know I now have a secure paycheck each week & I'm very thankful for that.
I am glad that you find a good job in your state. I was talking about Nevada which is hard hit in unemployment.

I was trying to find a part time job, I applied more than 500 times from ads and never been hired. My wife was unemployed for a while and get hired at 50% less than what she made before in a national corporation and she is well educated.

I also know many American friends here in Nevada getting half of what they made before. They cannot afford to take the sweet time for another good pay job, they already empty their 401K, savings and late on their mortgage payments and credit cards.

Right now in our town they keep slashing jobs like hell, we cannot see the end of that.

Nevada is the first state in the nation going down the hill. In facts more than 50% of Nevadans are underwater, pretty sad to see neighbours going in foreclosure.

I just pray that we never fall in the abyss.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Well all the good jobs has been reduced around 50% in our state, and most contruction jobs that pay $24 per hour before are not longer available. What President Obama and his administration gave with the bailout are either money to cheap construction companies that pay peanuts or green jobs that pay no more than $10 per hour.

Minimum wage is around $8 per hour, can you live with that? NO
$8/hr can't support families, much less people like myself. Hell, even $10/hr can just barely put decent food on the table after the bills.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:36 PM
v7n Mentor

Jobs are out there, if you want to accept a wage so low you can't live on it.

You have choices. Get a better-paying job or accept the low-paying job and cut your expenses. But you can only cut so far. If it were not for the mortgage or rent, we'd be able to get by on $8 or $12 an hour.

What are we supposed to do, move into our cars? Unsurprisingly, a lot of people are forced to do that as a last resort.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:12 PM
v7n Mentor

Wrong thread, dWhite!

Old 09-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Contributing Member

Nevada unemployment hits record in July: 12.5 percent statewide, 13.1 percent in Vegas
http://blog.taragana.com/n/nevada-un...-vegas-146616/

13.1 percent you can easly double the number to get the real numbers, part-time are not counting, people out of benefice program are not in these number, etc

Old 09-15-2009, 10:13 PM
v7n Mentor

I love how Obama slid the word "saved" in there. The subjective political fail safe.

Besides temporary patches very little has been done and the patches cost so much that anybody has to question if that money wouldn't have worked better as tax incentives for existing companies expanding and creating new, permanent jobs.

Even the administration won't deny that unemployment is headed to double digits (we were promised that passing the pork ladened Obama spending package would make sure it didn't go above 8 percent) and it's all failing badly enough that they're claiming today's grim news as a positive indicator. As mentiond above, it's already reached well into double digits in real terms.

On the good side, everything will self correct just as it would have if the government hadn't spent a dime of our money. The administration is hoping that'll happen in an evident way before November 2010 so that they can claim they did it.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

I understand you South, but you know like me that Wall Street and the banks played a major role in this mess. Not that I want to defend President Obama, for example he took a good decision for the workers like extending unemployment benefits. I am not for bashing systematically when good decisions are made, sure we can criticize, but when it is good policies to help people, we have to recognize that.

All the taxes raised are coming from states. Here in Nevada they don't have any plan beside borrowing money from the government, perhaps $1 billion to pay unemployment benefits.

Nevada has the most foreclosures in the country, good jobs are extremely difficult to find almost impossible and people are starting to leave the state. You can find empty neighbourhoods, devaluing our local house market. All the houses bought right now are from 90% investors and only 10% from regular people. That's just how bad the market is.

The only hope to stop that is if the government step up and help people to modifying mortgages in a special program. If nothing is done, the market will fall down, and the healthy people will get their home devaluated at half of their prices. Same as if you do nothing when an house is in fire, the next house will catch the fire, so the others.

I don't agree with the concept of do nothing and the market self correct because the crisis is so deep that the system will be in bankrupt. There is enough mess with people getting variable rate mortgages and complicity from predatory lending (subprimes). The worse is that kind of mortgages are still available on the market and they shouldn't.

Now the second wave is the commercial real estate going down, businesses are slashed and it will be a price to pay for that.

The recovery will take a long time, and I hope that more help is coming for working people.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:24 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
If nothing is done, the market will fall down
Don't get me wrong, I'm not for doing nothing. I'm just against an administration that sees every problem America has as an opportunity to pass some specific agenda. Team Obama has shown themselves to be the epitome of that. "Either get behind our wrong solution or we'll accuse you of wanting to do nothing". He's done it at every turn. Point out his lies and he'll have his cronies brand you as racist.

The government can't create the kind of jobs that help an economy. The only kind of jobs the government can create are government jobs which are ultimately paid for by tax dollars that aren't available when the private market is suffering. The only helpful thing the government can do is to help create an atmosphere where real job makers can do what they do. That's done through financial incentives by way of tax credits.

But Obama is far too spend-happy to ever get behind sensible solutions because his four year mission isn't to fix the economy, it's to grow the government and put people under it's thumb in every way he can. Why? He believes that the only path to fairness is government oversight at every level of personal existence. Read his book. It's all in there.

Why do you think that in the midst of the crisis we're in he's spending so much time, energy, and money pursuing an unpopular government healthcare takeover when 80+ percent of Americans are happy with what they have now and emergency services are available to all?

Rather than tort reform and a few other adjustments that would fix an otherwise good system, he wants government takeover.

Rather than letting the bankruptcy process fix GM and Chrysler....government takeover.

It was this very interference into the housing market in the name of "fairness by legislation" that caused the housing crisis in the first place.

Reagan said it very well. Government isn't the solution to our problem, government is the problem.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

So are they saved, or are they created? I'm thinking they were just plain lost, and he can't blame Bush for much longer.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues