Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 11-01-2004, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awall19
lets keep things friendly...

JS you suck...

go Kerry!!!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-01-2004, 05:27 PM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchy626
If it was the other way around your country would have been begging the US to help you fight your war. It's funny because you will get so many countries that will want the US to help them with this and that, but when we call for help, there is no one to be found ( shouldn't say no one since several countries have stood by us) No one wants anything to do with it. IMO
Well, in this case it was the US begging us to help, which we did, and still do, at the time it seemed the most reasonable thing to do, specially knowing that the US would help us out also in times of need. However, we have discovered that the "official" motives of going to war with Iraq have been changing a few times since we have invaded that country. We also noticed that we have been lied to by the US government. This makes us trust the US government not much anymore.

Than there are all those conspiracy theories comming from American sources, not Dutch ones, but we do get to read all that stuff and it makes us wonder even more. Can you blaim us for that? And I don't even mention all those weird nazi-like laws that are introduced in the US lately and that we also know of and get confronted with. Imagine, if a European family wants to take their kids to Disneyland since this month they need to be fingerprinted at the US border in order to be allowed into the country. Needless to say we do get a little suspicious about the motives of "the land of the free" and how they profile themselves. Not very free I must say, and specially not very transparant.

Old 11-01-2004, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferre
if a European family wants to take their kids to Disneyland since this month they need to be fingerprinted at the US border in order to be allowed into the country.
I wasn't aware of this precaution of fingerprinting to enter the country till you started mentioning it in the forum. Yes it's very unfortunate if true.

Do you think that you would make it through if you let them fingerprint you?

I think you mentioned that you have relatives or friends here or something.

Old 11-01-2004, 06:13 PM

I got blocked at the border for 3 hours while customs tore apart my car causing $200 worth of interior damage. The best part about this is that I was travelling with an American Citizen, attempting to drive him home to Seattle after a visit to Canada.

Apparently we fit a 'profile' of 'known felons'.

The best part about this is that we are 2 of the largest computer nerds in the history of the world, I'm wearing a nintendo shirt and glasses, and he's wearing a plain white hoodie. So be warned, dressing like nerdy teenagers fits the 'known felon' profile.

(In all honesty I think my car was the only reason we got stopped teenager + japanese sports car = drug dealer)

Its still sad though, because I used to head down to the US almost every weekend.

Old 11-01-2004, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral
I got blocked at the border for 3 hours while customs tore apart my car causing $200 worth of interior damage. The best part about this is that I was travelling with an American Citizen, attempting to drive him home to Seattle after a visit to Canada.

Apparently we fit a 'profile' of 'known felons'.

The best part about this is that we are 2 of the largest computer nerds in the history of the world, I'm wearing a nintendo shirt and glasses, and he's wearing a plain white hoodie. So be warned, dressing like nerdy teenagers fits the 'known felon' profile.

(In all honesty I think my car was the only reason we got stopped teenager + japanese sports car = drug dealer)

Its still sad though, because I used to head down to the US almost every weekend.

Same thing happend to me going into Canada, we were detained for 2 hrs and the car torn apart and our belongings all searched very thoroughly. We all had hunting rifles and equipment, but lots of people go to Canada to hunt so, I really couldn't understand what the big deal was... and this was about 5 or 6 years ago. It was kind of scary cause we didn't really know each other all that well. LOL ... know what I mean?

We all got through, though.

Old 11-01-2004, 06:45 PM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom
I wasn't aware of this precaution of fingerprinting to enter the country till you started mentioning it in the forum. Yes it's very unfortunate if true.

Do you think that you would make it through if you let them fingerprint you?

I think you mentioned that you have relatives or friends here or something.
I simply do not go there anymore. No government on this earth has the right to fingerprint me without a proper justification. In my culture that would be a serious criminal investigation and written warrants from a court officer/procecutor. See, we have very strict privacy laws here and I do not give any rights to any foreign government over me that they do not have, that right is mine and no one else. But that's maybe hard to explain to someone who does not know how it feels to have that right.

No frikkin government can do that to me, not even my own so why would I let the US do that? Utter absurd madness. And believe me, I'm not the only one who feels this way, there won't be much Dutch people visiting the US anymore I guess. Besides, China is a lot more friendly and cleaner air, older and more interesting culture and no fingerprinting, I like it a lot more for hollidays.

That fingerprinting is a statement, it states officially that the US does not trust us "foreigners" and thinks we "can be suspects"..F**K THEM!

Old 11-01-2004, 06:56 PM

Yeah well, I don't blame you for not wanting some gov't to fingerprint you, I don't wan't them to fingerprint me, either. But the difference between us I guess is, that I would allow them to do it even though I disapproved of it, if that is what was necessary for me to get to where I wanted to go. I wouldn't let something like that stop me, whereas apparently you would, and that's ok too. Like I say, I don't blame you a bit.

Old 11-01-2004, 07:02 PM

They take your picture at airports in some cities too.

Old 11-01-2004, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillaboy
They take your picture at airports in some cities too.
I wouldn't like that at all either, but no way would I let that stop me. That's just the way I am... and I've nothing to hide so... I just would do what was necessary to get to where I wanted to go. I personally wouldn't draw the line at either of those 2 things. It'd have to be something much worse than fingerprinting or picture taken. I wouldn't even draw the line at strip searching, though if I saw that the guy was getting a hard on or something, then that might do it.

Old 11-01-2004, 07:32 PM

Cavity searches?

Old 11-01-2004, 07:33 PM

My only problem with the picture taking and the fingerprinting is, in my opinion, when you concede to allowing that infringement on your privacy... where does it end? By giving into that, that only forges the way for greater invasions. How far away are they from creating a DNA bank? I know that is a bit far-reaching, but each bit that you do give up puts that next step that much closer.

Old 11-01-2004, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillaboy
Cavity searches?
I dunno..

Does it hurt?

Old 11-01-2004, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilregis
My only problem with the picture taking and the fingerprinting is, in my opinion, when you concede to allowing that infringement on your privacy... where does it end?
Yeah, good point...

um... when you die?

That's probably the only real end to it all ... that control sh!t will probably just continue. And eventually it won't matter what country you're in, I'm thinking. I don't like it. I'm not crazy about the idea of a one world gov't but, I believe it's enevitable and it's just a matter of time. How much time I don't know.

Last edited by Atom; 11-01-2004 at 08:00 PM.

Old 11-01-2004, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Same thing happend to me going into Canada, we were detained for 2 hrs and the car torn apart and our belongings all searched very thoroughly. We all had hunting rifles and equipment, but lots of people go to Canada to hunt so, I really couldn't understand what the big deal was... and this was about 5 or 6 years ago. It was kind of scary cause we didn't really know each other all that well. LOL ... know what I mean?

We all got through, though.
Yeah, I can understand trafficking guns across the border as a percieved threat though. I guess its just widespread paranoia

Old 11-01-2004, 08:42 PM
Super Trooper

Canada is pretty hard to get into from experience. Going to Nova Scotia, my family was stopped for a good hour. Guess a couple with 2 small children in the back is a warning sign. Hey, who knows, maybe I'm the next Chucky. Hehe. Just kidding, I don't really mind as long as it's for safety.

If you want an easy country to get into, try one of the border crossings in El Paso going into Mexico. You can practically drive across the border at 100MPH and the mexican "customs agents" will most likely wave to you while you go by.

It's rather humorous... and fun.

Old 11-01-2004, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral
Yeah, I can understand trafficking guns across the border as a percieved threat though. I guess its just widespread paranoia
We weren't trafficking guns across the border, we we're goin' deer huntin' FFS!

Old 11-01-2004, 11:00 PM

Quote:
We weren't trafficking guns across the border, we we're goin' deer huntin' FFS!
You may not know this, but some guns have been known to have been used to kill other people. Radical thought I know, but its true.

Old 11-01-2004, 11:04 PM

Yeah well that's beside the point!

It was just very annoying ... had to go through it though, and we did make our flight so... it worked out ...

... and we didn't even kill one person the whole trip!

Pretty proud of that we were.

Last edited by Atom; 11-01-2004 at 11:09 PM.

Old 11-02-2004, 12:03 AM

Wow, I probably couldn't have held off without a good killing. How many days was the trip?

Old 11-02-2004, 12:05 AM
Individualist

I've been deported from Canada. Pretty easy to get deported, IMO. They seem pretty cautious of US folks...

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues