Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 10-23-2009, 03:18 PM
v7n Mentor

Ambulances to charge extra for obese patients

Ambulances to charge extra for obese patients

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/art...-entertainment

Airlines charge more for obese passengers, now this?

Would this be possible grounds for lawsuits against the fast food industry?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-23-2009, 03:27 PM
v7n Mentor

Most shipping is done based on a per pound or per cubic ft basis... and in the end that's what we're talking about with ambulances and airlines. If it costs them more in fuel or area, then charging more for the bigger client is consistent with standard business protocol. Companies are in business to make a profit and an airline obese people boycott due to such a policy will fly another airline. If two airlines still fill their jets, ceteris paribus, the one with the heavier clientelle will be less profitable.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

I think it costs more in manpower then fuel in transporting bulky goods, or as the couriers term it, non standard size. Like they offer a two man delivery service for furnitures, I'm sure both would need to be paid.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:43 PM
v7n Mentor

Yep, that too. Bottom line it just complicates the job. Granted I realize there's gonna be an outcry from the portion of the populace that should be required by law to wear backup beepers just like other large dangerous machinery that can crush you... but frankly I'm a little weary of everyone being a "victim". Somebody needs to basically break down and tell 'em, no, you arent a victim, you're just really really fat.

I'm NOT talking about "needing to lose a few pounds", I'm talking big enough to make a difference in whether a standard gurney is gonna hold or it takes two extra guys to lift it into a truck. There isnt a constitutionally protected right to eat gallons of Ben & Jerry's without society having recourse when they need a forklift and a wide-load to move your butt to a hospital.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

I don't have the smallest issue with this. If a business wants to charge more since a morbidly obese customer nicks their profit they have every right to do so.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:47 PM
Banned

Well I guess they are doing it for maintenance or probably for people who will do the extra care for the patient itself

Old 10-23-2009, 11:05 PM

I feel pity for those customers but no, the business does have the right to charge for that since they do need to draw a line somewhere between "ultimate customer service" and "keeping the business running".

Old 10-25-2009, 03:01 PM
v7n Mentor

Some people can't help but become very large, from genes or a pituitary gland problem (However there is medicine to correct that).

But most people just let themselves go, I think. For many Americans the most exercise they get in a day is walking from the recliner to the car.

And there's the problem of obese kids who will become obese adults. Many families eat mom's greasy fried cooking and think there's nothing wrong with weighing 230 pounds at only twelve years of age. "Oh, he's just big-boned. He'll be on the football team this year for sure."

BS, there's no such thing as big-boned. But there is such a thing as overweight (which could also be considered child abuse in the case of young children.)

Insurance companies are refusing to cover certain people, such as the grossly overweight, because they know those people will require more expensive medical care than the average person.

Yet most of those who are grossly overweight refuse to accept personal responsibility for it, laying the blame on everyone but themselves.

So when a company begins charging extra fees to cover the bigger and heavier-built equipment required to transport the obese, suddenly it's news?

But whether required by law or not, (and I think it will eventually become required by law as the obese manage to get the U.S. to consider them under the American's With Disabilities Act) if a company must purchase equipment, they should be able to make a profit to pay for it.

I see nothing wrong with charging the obese extra fees.

And if the obese don't like it and want someone to complain to, perhaps they should look in the mirror.

Why should a paramedic injure his back trying to move you?

Old 10-25-2009, 03:16 PM
Banned

I think its fair. If you some big guy, you cost more gas to hull around.

But I do see McDonalds getting sued very soon over this.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:18 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Farlow View Post
Why should a paramedic injure his back trying to move you?
Paramedics often put their lives on the line in order to save someone, regardless of their weight.

Paramedic with sore back, or a dead paramedic?

Old 10-26-2009, 05:31 AM
Banned

Classic American Economy

Old 10-26-2009, 05:44 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Link.Man View Post
Classic American Economy
Huh?

Old 10-26-2009, 05:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjones View Post
Huh?
No need in the bad rep at ALL. It is an opinion, which i am entitled to. Classic American system as in ripping off someone who is obese. Some people are born obese, do they want a nation of bulimics? Because all this is doing is going to make it worse.

There is worse things going on in the world than trying to make obese people thin and hiking the prices up is singling them out like a race

EDIT: To phoneix for the bad rep (who hasn't even bothered posting in this thread)

Old 10-26-2009, 06:17 AM
Banned

This is simple crap
And is a discriminary "law" very stupid also ..

Old 10-26-2009, 06:21 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.link.boy
No need in the bad rep at ALL. It is an opinion, which i am entitled to. Classic American system as in ripping off someone who is obese. Some people are born obese, do they want a nation of bulimics? Because all this is doing is going to make it worse.

There is worse things going on in the world than trying to make obese people thin and hiking the prices up is singling them out like a race
I didnt rep you, bucko, but I can arrange it next time you misrepresent my point with a strawman argument coupled with a shot at all Americans.

Nobody is *born* obese.

Suggesting that its acceptable to account for the cost of dealing with the morbidly obese in ambulance transport is not an endorsement of bulimia. Dealing with reality of the added hardship on those doing the transport is not even vaguely similar to racism. Get a grip and chill out. The attacks are uncalled for.

Last edited by robjones; 10-26-2009 at 06:27 AM.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

Just for a thought: There are people who might not look overweight but if you weigh them, they are overweight. One of my friend told me that its has something to do with the bone density.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjones View Post
I didnt rep you, bucko, but I can arrange it next time you misrepresent my point with a strawman argument coupled with a shot at all Americans.

Nobody is *born* obese.

Suggesting that its acceptable to account for the cost of dealing with the morbidly obese in ambulance transport is not an endorsement of bulimia. Dealing with reality of the added hardship on those doing the transport is not even vaguely similar to racism. Get a grip and chill out. The attacks are uncalled for.
I edited my post at the bad rep given to me
There are no attacks? Why are you turning this into an issue, i am stating my opinion. Period.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Link.Man View Post
i am stating my opinion.
There is a fine line between stating your opinion, and taking a shot at Americans like you did.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:10 AM
v7n Mentor

Link... you could very easily have stated your opinion without
-1- taking a blanket shot at all Americans, or
-2- suggesting those that don't share your opinion are racists.

But, you made a choice to do it, so whining about whoever repped you is a simple failure to accept personal accountability. Actions have consequences.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:15 AM
Banned

I took a shot at the American SYSTEM i.e the government. Re-read my posts. Not Americans themselves. Geez you really have took offence far too easy. And apparently i am suggesting you are all racists who don't share my opinion? Where do you get your analogies from dude. Please.. I am here to discuss, which i have done. You disagree fine, but don't start pulling things out the hat like racism which is a complete dis-regard to this thread

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues