Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 11-12-2009, 02:18 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Fine Line of Inflammatory Topics

I think it is important that we take a moment to make sure our members understand where the fine line is between an open discussion vs. an inflammatory topic that may trigger hate type debates.

As an example, it is perfectly okay to have discussions concerning racism as a whole and how that has an impact on society. When it comes down to it, more often than not, communication is the key to finding solutions to many of the social issues in our lives today.

HOWEVER, it is not okay to have discussions which attack groups of people as a whole, incite hate, or uses personal opinion as fact to open a discussion.

For instance, we would not start a thread like this one . . .

Quote:
Why Do Purple People Hate, Kill, and Eat Green People?
Why don't we open topics in this manner?

(1) If you are assuming that all purple people, hate, kill, and eat green people based on one purple person (or a group of radical purple people) doing those things then that is not a fact for discussion. It's simply your personal bias concerning purple people.

(2) Because hate topics rarely do anything about actually finding solutions. They only increase the hate and further decrease communication.

Does that mean we are limiting your right to free speech?

Nope! You are 100% free to stand on the street corner and say whatever you want about what you believe. That is between you and your local law enforcement. You can write anything you want on your own blog. That's between you and your hosting company and perhaps Homeland Security.

But here in the community, the owners of the V7N and I get to choose where that line is drawn.

“Be the change you want to see in the world.” Mahatma Gandi

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-12-2009, 02:49 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Hey... LISTEN! Those #$$!#!! green people have it coming!

LOL. Naah, good post. I just posted something on the same topic over here. Bottom line, what Cricket's getting to is that we historically self-censor to a degree when talking to friends... but if we forget to... the mods will do it.

Ideally we will all try to avoid putting the mods in that spot cause it isnt their favorite part of the job and there are better uses of their time. If we want the other forums spam free we cant devote tremendous resources convincing our members in here to do what simple decorum requires anyway.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:57 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

If I can add one thing it's this; don't be an emotional writer/poster. If you're getting all worked up when posting or responding to someones post, chances are someone else will get worked up in response to your content.

Any good business writing course will tell you that one of the best writing practices is to create a draft and let it sit for 24 hours. After 24 hours you will see clearly all the junk that needs to be weeded from your nomenclature, much of which is passive voice and emotion.

Good post Cricket!

My daughter rules!

Old 11-13-2009, 07:34 AM
Senior Web Developer
Latest Blog:
None

We must understand that in this forum participate thousands of people from all over the world, and the best method to achieve such diversity is to encourage our fellow members to be tolerant, civilized and to post in a family friendly manner.

Thanks for this thread Cricket, it helps a lot

(+54 9) 1155 601 661

Old 01-31-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter-ego View Post
If I can add one thing it's this; don't be an emotional writer/poster. If you're getting all worked up when posting or responding to someones post, chances are someone else will get worked up in response to your content.
I think this is an important one. Not that I agree necessarily that a person shouldn't be emotional while in debate, for example. Emotions belong to the human race. Although, from personal experience, people will avoid an overly emotional person for various reasons. Stigma and fears may develop within the surroundings of an emotionally charged debate, severing needed support. The professional 'tone' is crushed and irritation unwittingly unfolds in others. It's difficult when discussing social networking issues not to discuss things from an emotional level because it involves more than ROI statistics or keyword analysis. It involves human to human interaction. In order for the debate to be it's most effective however, the emotion needs to be dulled and info to be a bit more tactical/strategic.

Down with the cry baby up with the sensible soldier kinda thing.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:17 AM

Hey what about posting about green people eating purple people?? but yes the topic is very relevant. Most of the problem today is due to this simple fact that people think that their freedom of speech means speaking anything they want. But to me freedom of speech comes with the knowledge that words have power to hurt and we should think twice or more before speaking especially in such open forums that are viewed world wide.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jom321 View Post
But to me freedom of speech comes with the knowledge that words have power to hurt and we should think twice or more before speaking especially in such open forums that are viewed world wide.
Such a touchy subject. Personal opinion?..

The problem with social environments: Even the bad guys wield charm and tactics which secure reader sympathies when a debate goes down. Countering that, character comes into play. When faulty character is allowed to slip by without exposure, the bad guy may win the battle. Character is used to build communities. It should be acceptable to publicly note character contradictions. Ironically, the good guy looks like a bad guy when this happens.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:42 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by investigativeseo View Post
Such a touchy subject. Personal opinion?..

The problem with social environments: Even the bad guys wield charm and tactics which secure reader sympathies when a debate goes down. Countering that, character comes into play. When faulty character is allowed to slip by without exposure, the bad guy may win the battle. Character is used to build communities. It should be acceptable to publicly note character contradictions. Ironically, the good guy looks like a bad guy when this happens.
Very perceptive! Yes, the "good guy" often comes in last, in the short run. But I think it's in our nature to take that risk, and stand up for what we believe. Nevertheless, I think we're often surprised to come in last...perhaps we tend to believe that "right will always overcome".

Old 02-01-2010, 05:02 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
The problem with social environments: Even the bad guys wield charm
Hey you, don't talk about me like I'm not able to see this stuff.... =-p

Old 03-20-2010, 12:47 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro11 View Post
"our rights end where the next persons begin"
Well said ...do as you please as long as you are not hurting others, or imposing on their rights
For as much as we all might think it, ours is not the only "right" opinion and there are some issues that are just too inflammatory to raise on here eg. the abortion debate! Culture and religion play a part in views on topics such as this, and with a global audience, there's bound to be too many fireworks!

Old 04-29-2012, 07:33 PM
Latest Blog:
None

I think it would be real hard to make any type of thread regarding racism, religion or politics that would be taken the right way by everyone. Seems as it would take a special type of poster that could make a thread that would be viewed by every person as non inflammatory. Like you said, it is a very fine line and posters that can start a thread that does not offend anyone can be compared to a tight rope walker just an inch either way would make us fall. You are very brave to have a forum subsection like this, I would think that there would be many fights here.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues