Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 11-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

1 in 6 Americans goes hungry

Government report shows 15% of Americans had trouble putting food on the table -- a record high.

The number of Americans that have trouble putting food on the table shot up last year in an unprecedented spike to a record 17 million households, the government reported on Monday.

The Department of Agriculture report, which has been released annually since 1995, said the number of Americans that were hungry rose to 14.6%. In 2007, 13 million households or 11.1% of Americans had trouble getting enough food.

The one-year jump is all the more significant, given the number of hungry Americans had never been higher than 11.9% since these surveys began.

Of the near-15% of the nation that couldn't secure enough food last year, the USDA said one-third of them had "very low food security," meaning they reduced the amount that they ate or disrupted their eating patterns during the year. That group made up 5.7% of all U.S. households, which was also a record high.

More than 500,000 households that scaled back the amount that they ate were households with children, making up 1.3% of all U.S. homes with children.

The USDA said the main cause of hunger and food insecurity in the country is poverty

http://money.cnn.com/2009/11/16/news...rity/index.htm

Robespierre

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-16-2009, 02:04 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
The USDA said the main cause of hunger and food insecurity in the country is poverty
Wow, wonder how long it took 'em to come up with that stunning revelation... here I was gonna go with a theory that we were victims of excessive self-control.

On the other side of the coin, per the CDC, approx 7 in 10 are already overwieght to start with. Maybe these two problems will help work each other out. Source

Added: I know that sounds flip, but the poverty issue isnt news to me. We have some pretty serious economic issues to deal with. I dont find them any more or less serious if I joke about 'em.

Last edited by robjones; 11-16-2009 at 02:08 PM.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

If people become overweight, that's because cheap food is equal to bad food.

Good food is not cheap, even if you cook home.

Robespierre

Old 11-16-2009, 02:20 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Elements View Post
If people become overweight, that's because cheap food is equal to bad food.

Good food is not cheap, even if you cook home.
Actually there are a ton of ways to eat well (healthy) inexpensively. The key may be in educating people on how this can be done, especially those receiving food stamps etc.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:29 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

For what it's worth, I don't see a single reason for people in the US to go hungry. There are programs out there to prevent this in every class regardless of income.

While out on a photo shoot this weekend, I saw a huge number of homeless people under an overpass. My heart was breaking at the situation. At the same time though, I felt so much pride in our community because there was a church there setting up tables to feed everyone along with another group handing out clothing. My son mentioned to me that they (the churches) are there every day doing what they can to help, along with referring people to local programs that can get them help and back on their feet.

When you compare the hunger statistics in some other countries, we are very blessed here in the US.

This reminds me of a similar topic here at the V7N that I wrote about on my blog . . .
http://www.cricketwalker.com/grace/

Old 11-16-2009, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Actually there are a ton of ways to eat well (healthy) inexpensively. The key may be in educating people on how this can be done, especially those receiving food stamps etc.
I don't see all the people going to churches or rescue missions to eat well. I can certainely understand that some people who cannot afford food, go there. But there is a difference between poor people going after free food and people trying go buy their food that is very expensive.

Just an example, how a little lettuce offered at $5 a piece here in our town? If I needed to buy the same product in my country it will cost 50 cents.

You can go on different grocery stores, most of the vegetables are tagged about the same prices.

That remind me all the different gas station brands with different prices, when we all know that they all bought the gas from the same refinery.

Monoplies exist on everything in this country, that's pretty sad.

Robespierre

Old 11-16-2009, 03:00 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Just an example, how a little lettuce is offered at $5 a piece here in our town? If I needed to buy the same product in my country it will cost 50 cents.

You can go on different grocery stores, most of the vegetables are tagged about the same prices.
Search out the local Vietnamese market. There's a section of a little town nearby known as Little Hanoi... and the grocery store there smells like like a cross between roadkill and the inside of a basketball locker-room. The smell comes from the fact that they have a rather unsanitary looking fishmarket in there and some suspect looking stuff in the meat dept (plus they carry a fruit called Durian... Google that one), but the veggies there are fresh and dirt cheap.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:04 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Actually I was looking for a Mexican grocery store in our town, but they are out of business.

Too bad, I cannot make my own garden in my backyard, you have to dig with a jack hammer

Robespierre

Old 11-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Individualist

I go hungry. Then I eat.

I lived in America, what, half my life? I never met a hungry person. I know people who go to food banks, but no because they cannot feed themselves. They like free food. One also likes free money so she trips and falls and threatens to sue every couple of months.

The food security numbers are crap. There was a story out a while back that said that Japanese were "going hungry". They evidently polled some Japanese citizens, asked them if they knew where their next meal was coming from, and when a lot of then hadn't decided which restaurant to eat ate, they decided they were going hungry.

http://www.individualism.com/communi...ead.php?p=2733

Food banks everywhere in America. A labor shortage in America so huge that it requires us to allow criminal immigration to help address our labor shortage, and welfare programs that put states in the red.

Hunger? Maybe if you're on a diet.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:31 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Levity aside, I don't doubt the numbers. Our country has grown to accept certain things as "needs" that are really "wants". I think we've hit a point where a correction is going to occur and we'll see a lotta people learning that "needs" are food, shelter, etc... not new cars, big screens, and Nintendo Wii to keep up with the neighbors.

The standard of living that includes newlyweds trying to buy a 2900 sq ft brick home is looked at with disdain by our older citizens from the depression era because they grew up having to be frugal and save... not spend every dime on luxuries now considered standard. Their closet was about 5 ft across, and it had room for their clothes. Currently our country is primarily populated with spoiled brats that believe they deserve more than they produce. Any time that gets going, its going to run outta steam when the economy turns and they cant meet the payments AND eat.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Scott View Post
I go hungry. Then I eat.

I lived in America, what, half my life? I never met a hungry person. I know people who go to food banks, but no because they cannot feed themselves. They like free food. One also likes free money so she trips and falls and threatens to sue every couple of months.

The food security numbers are crap. There was a story out a while back that said that Japanese were "going hungry". They evidently polled some Japanese citizens, asked them if they knew where their next meal was coming from, and when a lot of then hadn't decided which restaurant to eat ate, they decided they were going hungry.

http://www.individualism.com/communi...ead.php?p=2733

Food banks everywhere in America. A labor shortage in America so huge that it requires us to allow criminal immigration to help address our labor shortage, and welfare programs that put states in the red.

Hunger? Maybe if you're on a diet.
That's what the article said: "72% of food banks had been unable to adequately meet demand before the stimulus bill was enacted."

So if 72% of food banks are not able meet the demand, how can people eat?

Robespierre

Old 11-16-2009, 05:03 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Respectfully, I remember times in my life when we did some serious hunting and fishing to fill the freezer. There ARE answers, just not always the answers people are looking for.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Respectfully, I remember times in my life when we did some serious hunting and fishing to fill the freezer. There ARE answers, just not always the answers people are looking for.
I agree Cricket, nobody talk about this but many many hunters giveaway meat to people who are in need.

Robespierre

Old 11-16-2009, 05:15 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
I agree Cricket, nobody talk about this but many many hunters giveaway meat to people who are in need.
Oh yes! There are many wonderful programs, but this is the main one I hear about most often.

Farmers and Hunters Feeding The Hungry (FHFH)
http://www.fhfh.org/Home.asp

Old 11-16-2009, 05:44 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Oh yes! There are many wonderful programs, but this is the main one I hear about most often.

Farmers and Hunters Feeding The Hungry (FHFH)
http://www.fhfh.org/Home.asp
"After enjoying some venison spaggetti a little girl remarked..."This is better than what we ate at McDonald last night's!"" Cute

Robespierre

Old 11-16-2009, 06:26 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Since there are people getting hungry, it is a sign that our economy is in a crisis still. If people get hungry, it means they have no money to buy for food. If they have no money, it means they are jobless.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:17 AM
Individualist

Quote:
That's what the article said: "72% of food banks had been unable to adequately meet demand before the stimulus bill was enacted."

So if 72% of food banks are not able meet the demand, how can people eat?
You assume that food bank demand is legitimate and is caused by hunger. How many people starved to death in America in the last 30 years?

You assume that the number generated by an establishment which needs to justify its forceful control over your life are legitimate.

http://www.individualism.com/communi...ead.php?t=1134

That kind of slop - saying that half the people who die in the world die of hunger - is what you're dealing with. I lived in an apartment right across from a food bank. People weren't hungry. They just didn't want to work.

Even when I was homeless in LA for several months, I actually gained weight.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:47 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

It's really terrible and hardly beleivable. Is this only because of the economic crisis? Is the goverment doing anything about it?

Old 11-17-2009, 09:04 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

My husband and I manage over 140 rental properties. Many of them are in the $400 to $600 range - some all bills paid. (They are clean, pest free and I'd live in one if I had to - that's how we run things. They are in our neighborhood and we like good property values

I am amazed at how people who pay $450 a month for a one bedroom apartment for themselves and their two kids and have a bigger TV than I do, cable (I have an antenna in my attic), empty pizza boxes in the kitchen (I make my own with flour bought in 50 pound bags) and beer in the fridge and plenty of cigarettes.

Not exactly the same picture of poverty you see in Ethiopia.

While I know that some folks are truly in need in our country, I think that handouts just make the situation worse. School lunch program?? So. Because I work hard, my son goes to school with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and the kid next to him gets a free lunch.

That hardly seems fair. What parent in america can't afford a loaf of bread, a jar of peanut butter and a bottle of jelly? Really?

When I was in college, I lived on potatoes, eggs, beans and rice with an occasional salad thrown in.

Buying produce in season is one key to reducing expenses. Lettuce is out of season in the winter -- why buy it then? Root vegetables and the thing to go for.

Really on a budget? Grow sprouts.

Some books to looks at: Tightwas Gazette 1, 2 and 3 (or the complete Tightwad Gazette), books by Dave Ramsey, Mary Hunt and Your Money or Your Life.

Sorry for the rant. I just have to admit it is frustrating to watch every penny I spend then check out in line behind someone paying with food stamps in front of me who is buying steak and TV dinners. It's discouraging for me. (For about 5 minutes... then it passes.)

Additional government intervention just keeps folks a slave to the system. Waiting for the next handout - what a crushing blow to the survivalist entrepreneurial spirit that made the US great.

How insulting to the indomitable human spirit.

That said. I give out hams at Christmas to my older neighbors. I buy angelfoodministries.com boxes for them if I think they aren't getting by. I keep food bars in the car (purchased at a food discount place for 12 for $1) for guys on the street corners. But that is something I choose to do. I don't expect the government to take a bigger cut and do it for me.

Perhaps if we all looked out and supported our neighbors, handouts would be a thing of the past. People would strive to get back on their feet.

(This is my most controversial post to date... be kind

Old 11-17-2009, 09:13 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
(This is my most controversial post to date... be kind
Just sounds like you're from around here. Standard Texas "we are responsible for our own destiny" stuff.

In other words... Good post.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues