Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 11-30-2009, 07:56 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Tattoos and Body Piercing: What does it say about us?

What perception do you have about people with tattoos and body piercings? Why? Are there some that are more acceptable than others? Why? Do you feel differently if it is a man vs. a woman? What about if you were interviewing them for a job? What if this person was representing you in court?

Your thoughts?

Please keep in mind with your responses that this is a family friendly community.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-30-2009, 11:27 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

looks like they don't like their original body and look. they want to decorate with such things.
I heard people selling body parts for tatoos for marketing hostgator paid a guy with their brand name on neck . any ways I dont like it(sorry to tatoo ppl) , every thing has its own genuine beauty you need to find it.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:06 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

My mother used to threaten to put a bow ribbon in my hair, when I was a kid, when it was only just past short, back and sides and I needed a haircut. It was said to be a punishment if I failed to do so. Can't tell you what she said about guys getting pierced ears etc. Every generation to their own, but for me, I agree with her!

Quote:
What about if you were interviewing them for a job? What if this person was representing you in court?
With all of ear, mouth and cheek piercings either sex would be be back at the job center and full body tats would join them.

Mostly its degree, IMHO, I can take a little.

But how anyone stands having their tongue, let alone some other unmentionable parts, pierced I do not know. I would hate the pain and having something stuck to my tongue all the time. YUUUUUUCK big time.

Not for me, but that is true about many things today, that sure is a sign not that I am getting old but that I got there!

Old 12-01-2009, 05:07 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by websiteguy View Post
looks like they don't like their original body and look.
That's not true... i love tattoos but not a permanent, i used to have tattoos for excitement, that gives you satisfaction. A fulfillment, its an art in most ancient times.. For me i was so astonished with tattoos, for men, it gives them a "manly" masculine attitude and for women , "strong" and outwitted personality.

For job?

I only know that accepts tattoos in a corporate wold is the BPO companies.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:08 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I think it's hard for anyone to fully understand unless they have done it themselves and actually know what it feels like, what it's really about.

I am pierced (two, did it myself) but I do not have tattoos. I'm not against them, it's just personal preference.

Pain. Is there a limit to it? I can honestly say that, for myself, yes, there is. I would never have known that if I had not done the piercings. I learned something from it and I can handle pain a lot better now, knowing that it does indeed have an upper limit. The brain only registers it to a certain degree and it does not get more painful.

Body piercing is educational. Who would've thunk! (Won't see that on PBS any time soon...)

The brain releases endorphins (which make you feel really good) when it registers pain and there is a feeling that you just can't get any other way than through body suspension. I won't say if I have done body suspension or not (I have to have some secrets, don't I?) but if you want to really feel the endorphins flow...

Many view tattoos and piercings as beneficial, rather than being detrimental. They view it as enhancing the beauty of the human body rather than taking away from it. And, too, there is a sexual aspect to it, which I will not go into here, of course. This ain't the place. Let's just say if you like moving pictures, marry a fat tattooed woman...

Personally, I have always thought it foolish to slap a tattoo here and another there, with no total design in mind. If you're going to get tattooed, have a plan, for heaven's sake. Create a masterpiece instead of a bunch of small pictures that have no theme in common unless you're going for a Jackson Pollack look. But that's just my opinion.

Tattoos are helpful for covering scar tissue. Many burn victims lead normal lives even though they suffered terrible burns on parts of their body they cannot keep covered up, such as the face and arms. Tattoos will also help conceal birthmarks as well, so there is a valid reason for tattoos.

Body piercing has been used to enhance the body for centuries. It is not a recent phenomenon. Learn more about body piercing here.

Scarification is another form of body enhancement that has been used throughout history.

Some people become scared of tattooed people and there is no need to feel that way. I think people who get tattoos and piercings are outgoing and adventurous, willing to try new things. And just because a large man is covered in tattoos does not mean he's a cruel ex-convict. Some of the nicest people I have met were heavily tattooed.

But many people still harbor discriminatory feelings about people with tattoos and piercings and that will effect employment. You can't change the way people, such as employers, feel, so I would suggest that a person be careful to not place tattoos where they will be seen while at work, such as on the neck, face or arms.

Many tattooed and pierced people own their own businesses and don't have to worry about it, though.

And if they own a tattoo parlor, it's nothing but free advertising.

Need an extra $300-$500 each weekend - in cash? Get Paid In Cash!

Learn How To Buy Almost Anything Wholesale and Save 70-90% Off Retail. Wal Mart does NOT sell for less! The Top 250

Old 12-01-2009, 11:10 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
What perception do you have about people with tattoos and body piercings? Why? Are there some that are more acceptable than others? Why? Do you feel differently if it is a man vs. a woman? What about if you were interviewing them for a job? What if this person was representing you in court?

Your thoughts?

What about you, Cricket? C'mon, don't keep us in the dark.

Learn How To Buy Almost Anything Wholesale and Save 70-90% Off Retail. Wal Mart does NOT sell for less! The Top 250

Old 12-01-2009, 04:56 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Farlow View Post
What about you, Cricket? C'mon, don't keep us in the dark.
Cant see any facial piercings or facial tats on that photo, whoops did you mean her views?

Old 12-01-2009, 10:30 PM

Generally tats and piercings are viewed as a negative feature by the main stream populace.
Spent many years in a business where I went to great lengths to avoid having holes put in my body...

Now, at my age, not.........

Old 12-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Contributing Member

Tattoo decoration for commercial purpose is not recommended at all.
Why should one use the body parts for advertising?

Old 12-01-2009, 10:53 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I've always been intrigued/fascinated by tribal tattoos and the rituals such as ta moko of the Maori or Hawaiian tattoos.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I'm a kind of indefferent to them, I mean, I like some of other people, but I would never have one myself.As for finding work for these people I wouldn't mind if they had some tattos, but in general most are so prejudiced about it

Old 12-02-2009, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Small tattoos don't really bother me whether it be on male or female. The same is true for ears though I would not pierce mine.

Body piercings are a whole different story. I find all of them a complete turn-off. The only possible exception is a belly button one on a female and if you have the belly button to make that look good you don't need it pierced to still look good.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:55 AM

i really hate those tattos

Old 12-05-2009, 05:49 AM
Contributing Member

In the ancient times tattoo was very symbolic and helped people to show their status. But now people do it only to decorate themselves. But from my point of view too many decorations are so good as it's not natural. But at the same time everyone has the right of what to have on the body and where.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:27 AM
Latest Blog:
None

My first impression would be he or she was addict, member of a gang or an ex-convict. However there's a saying that goes 'don't judge a book by it's cover'. We can't tell what really is her or his personality until we know him/her deeply. Some people apply tattoo and piercing to express themselves. What they feel and what they want to show. They are also people who want to themselves.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Depends on the outcome or design of the pierce or tattoo.. Because I have a tattoo in my eye shadow lining and I find it good.. Additionally, I have my pierce in my belly. For me, I hate those over decorated like punk style because its not really good to see.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:27 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by loenex View Post
My first impression would be he or she was addict, member of a gang or an ex-convict. However there's a saying that goes 'don't judge a book by it's cover'. We can't tell what really is her or his personality until we know him/her deeply. Some people apply tattoo and piercing to express themselves. What they feel and what they want to show. They are also people who want to themselves.

What about the way people are dressed?

People feel more comfortable around men in suits than men wearing biker gear such as leathers, but they may be one and the same.

And let's not forget, many crooks have worn suits. They're called bankers and lawyers...

Interesting note about nudist resorts. People have a heck of a time judging someone when they are naked. Can't tell if they are rich or poor, high-income or low-income without the clothes to go by, huh?

Just because a person has tattoos does not mean they are going to be mean to you. Some of the nicest guys I've ever known were heavily tattooed biker types, you know, 6',3", 280 pounds and look like they could break you in half without breathing hard...

No, we can't judge a book by its cover...

Old 12-05-2009, 04:09 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Farlow View Post
Some of the nicest guys I've ever known were heavily tattooed biker types, you know, 6',3", 280 pounds and look like they could break you in half without breathing hard...
Is he single?

Old 12-05-2009, 04:50 PM

In my opinion Tattoos are a real addition to your look. It shows alot of the person you are. It's something personal and I think it should be respected.

I know it causes problems with finding a job, but in my opinion that's just critisism of their own taste.

If everyone just accepted the way people look and treated everyone with respect, the world would be such a better place.

Just to give an example how alot of the youth, bully people that look different or even act a little different. Adults put people in certain groups as well. Really, does it make you a better laywer if you don't have a tribal tattoo on your back?

At these situation you can always cover them up, but why do we have to?
Is it just the part to keep your status in society?

Well, I just wrote down a couple of things that are on my mind.

Maybe there is something that you disagree on, please give your opinion as well.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:10 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

This is a difficult thread to respond to because I tend to be pretty conservative and likely have some prejudices . . .

In studies, when people are shown pictures of someone with a number of visible tattoos or other body modifications are viewed lower within questions pertaining to credibility.

Quote:
This study examined the effects of tattooing on perception of a male's and a female's credibility and attractiveness. 74 undergraduates viewed a photograph of a tattooed or nontattooed male or female model and then rated dimensions of the models' credibility and attractiveness. Analysis indicated that, although the models' attractiveness ratings were not affected by having a tattoo, their credibility ratings were generally lower when wearing a tattoo than when not wearing one. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16173380
Is it right? Probably not, but I have to admit, if I am dealing with someone on a professional basis, I would likely be put off by a large number of visible tattoos, piercings, etc.

Like most things in life, I believe it is a matter of balance . . .

Resources:
http://clearinghouse.missouriwestern...cripts/385.php
http://independent.gmnews.com/news/2..._page/003.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16173380

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues