Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 12-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

"Arbeit macht frei" was stolen from the Auschwitz concentration camp

The symbol of nazis cynicism and cruelty, the "Arbeit macht frei" inscription from the main gate of german Auschwitz death camp was stolen.

If you don't know how it's look like, here's a picture: http://www.deathcamps.org/websites/p...ei%20Today.jpg

Police says, that it's an ordered theft.

What person (of group of people) could be so depraved to order it?

I hope they'll be catched soon.

Last edited by Mixer; 12-18-2009 at 01:15 PM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-18-2009, 03:56 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Doesn't look like something a college kid could hang on the wall of his apartment, so...

What, is someone planning to start their own concentration camp?

Disgusting that someone would steal a piece of history, incredibly horrible though it was.

Maybe it was that Iranian goofball, Momo Imanutjob, who keeps swearing up and down that the Holocaust never happened?

Or maybe it was stolen to be sold as scrap by someone who really needs the money? They'll have a tough time getting rid of it. It's very recognizable.

Need an extra $300-$500 each weekend - in cash? Get Paid In Cash!

Learn How To Buy Almost Anything Wholesale and Save 70-90% Off Retail. Wal Mart does NOT sell for less! The Top 250

Old 12-18-2009, 04:11 PM
Senior Web Developer
Latest Blog:
None

Poland is a very calm country in terms of safety, all the touristic places are left unguarded at night (castles, museums, monuments), and people respect the historic icons of their country even if they were built by the Germans. I'm willing to say it was not a Pole who did that but some foreigner.

I guess they will have to start hiring guards if these things keep happening, a real pity because it's one of the few countries left in the world where you can go for a walk safely at any hour of the night without being afraid of something happening to you.

(+54 9) 1155 601 661

Old 12-18-2009, 04:29 PM
SEO Fanatic
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
Poland is a very calm country in terms of safety, all the touristic places are left unguarded at night (castles, museums, monuments), and people respect the historic icons of their country even if they were built by the Germans. I'm willing to say it was not a Pole who did that but some foreigner.

I guess they will have to start hiring guards if these things keep happening, a real pity because it's one of the few countries left in the world where you can go for a walk safely at any hour of the night without being afraid of something happening to you.
I have been to Poland (my extended family is Polish) and although I was only there for a month, it did feel pretty safe.
So you may completely be right, it only takes one bad apple....

As for the theft itself, I find it quite disgusting, as was that place anyway.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:33 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Auschwitz museum was guarded (as many other museums in Poland) all the time by a security company. But guards keep their eyes mostly on the parking area and office buildings, in where potential thief would be interested most. Museum buildings are equipped with alarm systems, so they also are securited enough (there's nothing valuablem though).

Nobody could expected that somebody could steal it.

I think for some insane people this inscription would be worth a lot of money.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:31 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Fortunately the sign has been recovered.

It was an ordered thief. The inscription was ordered by the insane nazi collectioner. He'd been arressted today morning. There was a 25.000 euro reward for the information which might be helpful for the Police and someone have seen thiefs trying to hide the sign in the forrest.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I think it's terrible that people steal in such places. I have been there. It's horrible as the tiniest part of your body feels that people suffered here and they were killed for nothing.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

It was recovered, but cut up into 3 pieces.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wor...15505462?f=rss

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues