Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 01-11-2010, 01:34 PM
No Longer Active

Would You Track Your Kid by GPS?

After reading the article below, I would love to hear your thoughts on this topic. Would you track your kid by GPS? Have we gone too far in the quest to protect our kids? If we build some sort of bubble of protection around our kids, what happens when they grow up and leave us? Will they have learned consequences for behavior the old fashioned way? Or, will we have protected them so completely that they will have virtually no ability to make an educated decision?

Would You Track Your Kid by GPS?
http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2010/01...ur-kid-by-gps/

Quote:
Question: if you had the ability to track your child’s every movement during the day, would you do so? Or is this an example of helicopter parenting taken to extremes? How about tucking a portable GPS unit in her backpack?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010, 01:51 PM
v7n Mentor

You bet I would, and if my kid doesn't like it, too bad. I'm the parent, he's the kid.

$350 for the unit plus $15 a month for service is a small price to pay to prevent your child, your most precious possession, from being kidnapped by sex-offenders and people looking for ransom money.

Imagine the grief parents go through when their child doesn't come home when they are supposed to. Imagine the heartbreak of having to post your child's face all over town above the words Have you seen me? No parent should EVER have to experience that.

Children will look at it as a violation of their privacy, but I have news for you. Long as you are a minor, you have no right to privacy. You only have your own room and parents stay out of it as a privilege, not a right.

I do think parents should not abuse this ability. Don't question your children about exactly where they have been, why they were there so long and who were they seeing. Just as parents have secrets, their children should be allowed to have their own as well.

It's a double-edged sword that can help you but can also be used against you if abused. It's very easy to alienate your children.

Children should know that they are being tracked by GPS and should know exactly why. Trying to do it on the sly will only turn them against you when they discover what you've been doing. It's akin to reading their diary, one of the biggest no-nos.

Many manufacturers are loading GPS tracking devices in shipments to counteract hijacking of truckloads.

I see no problem with keeping track of my children this way. As a matter of fact I would encourage everyone to do it. Maybe I wouldn't see so many sad faces on the milk carton when I eat breakfast.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

I would use this technology to track my kids, but sparingly.
I would explain what the device does and why I want them to carry it.
I wouldn't track them every day.
I would most likely track them for a week or two to see how (and how well) the device and web interface worked.
But after that, would only use it in emergencies.

Imagine a child getting abducted and the police converge on the abductor before they are able to do anything horrible.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Banned

I actually track my wifey via GPS, since she is on the road quite a lot and does lots of sign-ups(meaning, meets a ton of new faces every single day).

It's only like $5/mo

Oh, and of course she knows about it. She thinks it's a great idea, just in case (god forbid)

Old 01-12-2010, 08:09 AM
Banned

Yes I would the safety of my child is more important than money. And I guess it is much better coz you will not worry and you know his whereabouts. Parents feel bad especially mothers if they find out there kids isnt at home yet at specified time..

Old 01-12-2010, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

I think it's possible to track to some age, but not always til they are 17 or 16. It's enough to let them lead their own lives.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

I guess I would if needed.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:48 AM
v7n Mentor

I'm a really over protective parent. And with good reason. There's nothing more precious on this earth. Of course I would use every available form of technology and do to protect my child. When my kid was an infant the baby monitor was not enough. I set up x10 cams all over the place.

You can never be too careful.

I suppose it would seem excessive in the teenage years, and kinda like mom/dad snooping in my room when I was a teen. But at the grade school level its almost a must. Hell, I can find my car in a parking lot with my iPhone if I misplace it. Why not do the same with your child. The car can be replaced the kid cannot.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:46 AM
Senior Web Developer

If I had kids I would purchase this service and activate it only at nights when they're out. There is a lot of kidnapping going on in my country and tools like this would definitely help.

Is it a privacy violation? sure, but kids shouldn't keep secrets from their parents, specially when that secret is their location.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:49 PM

"Don't have any kids just yet but till I do"

If someday they will be able to invent some kind of GPS panic button, something that is on a necklace, bracelet or wherever, a button that when pushed alarms the parents and activates a GPS device and sends out information to both or either police and parents, then that's the only time that I will buy such thing.

I'd say that educating your kid about the dangers of the world and how to deal with it is more than enough protection for them. Let's face it, if your going to have this device, your gonna use it at one point or another to more than just monitor if they will be kidnapped or something.

What would you feel when you had this when you were a teen?

Let them experience what you had. Be a guidance and not an additional pressure.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:28 PM

^sorry its when I do, not till I do... passed the mark when I can still edit the post.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:58 PM
v7n Mentor

In the ideal world there is no need for such things. There is unhindered communication between both parents and all of their children, all children and teens get along equally with one another with no feelings of inadequacy, no need to sew oats so to speak, no jealousy, and no desire to keep secrets.

Unfortunately, or actually fortunately, I mean let's face it, what kind of life would it really be if we had absolutely no conflict? The trick is to know how to continue on despite the conflict, and even benefit from it. In today's world, be it a parents desire to protect, or a teachers or parents desire to not have to deal with the conflicts of our children there are many reasons they are not given the opportunity to either experience, or learn how to deal with conflict, emotions, dangers, and be able to learn how to over come them, learn from them, and even prevent them in the future. The use of drugs to inhibit what particular people deem as over rambunctious behavior in the class room, over protective restraining at home chocking the human nature of exploration of emotion and imagination, or the again drugging because they refuse to go to bed at night or sit still and be quiet while American Idol is on. There are way to many reasons that today's youth is troubled beyond that we, those of my generation on the average had to face.

With all of that in mind then we have to ask ourselves, are our children equipped with the knowledge and tools they need at whatever age they are in order to be completely trusted to do the right thing at all times, or to be able to sway away from temptations and situations of trouble or danger.

Would you track your child with a GPS, under normal circumstances most would likely say no, but with the technology, be it by phone or special device if the situation warrants, I do not know of any responsible parent that wouldn't. I would see it as not much different than whether you go through your child's room, I mean normally we wouldn't go snooping, but if the school calls us because they have heard that your child has been contemplating suicide, or running away with a guy, or meeting someone she met off the Internet for the first time without telling you, then is it not our job as parents to step in? So the situation determines the actions, just as you wouldn't keep your 15 year old daughter grounded to her room until she was 18 to avoid her having sex, you wouldn't not ground her if you found her hanging out at a drug house, shoplifting, or having unprotected sex, in some instances we can merely have a conversation with our children and trust in the content, other times we must act further, be it by investigation or action of discipline. That is what growing up is all about, having fun, and learning what it is that is right and wrong, and it is the parents who are charged with ensuring the safety and the learning of the lessons.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:53 AM
v7n Mentor

I would use it and tell her that I am.

She asked for a hotmail acct. I said she could, only if she gave me the password.
She asked me for Facebook, same deal.

She is aware so it isn't sneaky, IMO.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:30 PM

Would you guys agree that you also carry a GPS device so the kids can also monitor your location?

Old 01-14-2010, 09:43 PM

^I mean wouldn't it be just right that the kids know the whereabouts of their parents as well.?

Old 01-15-2010, 09:41 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabo View Post
Would you guys agree that you also carry a GPS device so the kids can also monitor your location?
Sure why not. Hell the wife had one of those chips implanted in me and the dog. It was pretty cheap since we were both done at the same time.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:47 PM

I would not. I respect my child and trust him, so I dont see why I should spy on him.
On the other hand if he was under 12 or so i probably would if he was going on a school field trip or smth. So that he doest get lost.

I would not want my kids or anyone else to spy on me neither.

Generally, if there is a way for me to contact my child whenever i need to, that's enough for me.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:24 PM
v7n Mentor

My daughter's phone has GPS built-in, and she knows it. I have never checked on her location, and would only do so in an emergency. But the standing rule is, she is going to be where she said she would be, and if she's going somewhere else, she calls us and lets us know beforehand. Since we live in a city that has had over 1,000 kidnappings in the last year, I keep very close tabs on where she is, and who she is with.

I think thegamerslink put it very well... we have to walk a fine line between keeping our kids safe, and allowing them to learn from their mistakes. But I would never snoop on my child behind their back. I think that would send entirely the wrong message.

I once had occasion to search the room of one of my older kids, after being alerted to the possibility that they might be hiding something. I asked them about the situation, and they denied it. I said that in that case, they should have no problem with me taking a look in their room and in their vehicle, to which the response was, 'sure, go ahead. I've got nothing to hide.'

I did so, with them present, found nothing, and then later learned that the information I'd been given was invented, to try and get them in trouble. The fact that I didn't accept the answer, without searching, could have damaged our relationship, had I handled it differently. But if I had simply gone ahead and searched the room myself, without my child present, it most certainly would have done a lot of damage.

Sometimes as parents, we can't take the easy way out. Spying on my kids seems to me to be one of those easy ways, that can destroy the trust between us.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:24 AM
v7n Mentor

Respect, not authoritarianism!! Yes, I agree, Doc C, trust is the key word! I admire how you dealt with the situation with your children. Spying only breeds mistrust, on both sides! If you feel you need to spy, then you need a cousellor for you and your children, not a gps.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:32 AM
Contributing Member

In this world it is not a bad idea

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues