Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 01-11-2010, 12:39 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Arrested for reporting that she was raped?

This is just unbelievable.I hope the British consulate is all over this:

U.K. Woman Reports Rape, Charged for Sex Outside Marriage

Saturday, January 09, 2010

A British woman who alleged that she was raped in Dubai on New Year’s Eve has had her passport confiscated and may face a jail sentence after she was charged with having sex outside marriage with her fiance.

The 23-year-old woman, a Muslim from London, of Pakistani origin, said that she was attacked by a man who is understood to be a worker in the hotel where she had been drinking with her fiance to celebrate their engagement during a three-day holiday in Dubai.

When she reported to the police that she had been raped, she and her partner, 44, were themselves jailed for sex outside marriage, which is illegal under the emirate’s laws. Unmarried couples are not allowed to share hotel rooms or live together, although many establishments turn a blind eye. The couple were also charged with being drunk outside licensed premises.

Full story here.

Not only that but they refuse to let her leave the country until she is MARRIED! And her attacker has been arrested but not for rape, as far as I can tell, but for having sex outside marriage!

This is preposterous!

If I were you, I wouldn't vacation ANYWHERE in the Middle East! Give your money to someone else. These Muslim and Islamic countries are still stuck in the dark ages! I'm surprised she wasn't burned at the stake. (Maybe they're saving that for next week...)

Meanwhile...

Daredevils Jump From Dubai Tower

Base jumpers leap off world's tallest skyscraper.

Video here.

They jumped? Are they sure they weren't pushed off by the authorities for having sex outside of marriage or being outside the 'drunk zone' while intoxicated?

Need an extra $300-$500 each weekend - in cash? Get Paid In Cash!

Learn How To Buy Almost Anything Wholesale and Save 70-90% Off Retail. Wal Mart does NOT sell for less! The Top 250

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010, 01:02 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

In my humble opinion, when we choose to visit another country, or heck even another state, we must also accept that their laws may be very different from our own and abide by them accordingly.

Do I think it's right? Nope, but it's not my country.

Until just a couple of years ago, it was illegal to buy, sell, or possess beer in Yalobusha County in Mississippi. (I lived there for about 7 years.) It didn't much matter if you agreed with the law or if you thought the area was lost somewhere in the dark ages. It was the law and if you chose to break that law you were subject to the penalties.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:12 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
In my humble opinion, when we choose to visit another country, or heck even another state, we must also accept that their laws may be very different from our own and abide by them accordingly.

Do I think it's right? Nope, but it's not my country.

Until just a couple of years ago, it was illegal to buy, sell, or possess beer in Yalobusha County in Mississippi. (I lived there for about 7 years.) It didn't much matter if you agreed with the law or if you thought the area was lost somewhere in the dark ages. It was the law and if you chose to break that law, you were subject to the penalties.
AND, if you liked to drink beer, you wouldn't choose Yalobusha County for your vacation spot, if you had any common sense at all.

Of course, common sense isn't really all that common these days.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member

Well, I don't also like to work on that country or any other place in middle east I heard that even male is also raped their by some Muslims.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:00 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I agree that when you visit a country you must abide by the laws of the country.

The thing though, is this woman was raped, and chances are that nothing will be done about this issue. She will be blamed for the rape because she was drinking or she was seductive or whatever the authorities there will come up with....

It's a violation of women's rights and hopefully she will receive some assistance from the British consulate.

Personally, I would never visit a country which has those types of laws, or any laws that I feel violate any specific group's human rights so grossly.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Law is law .. It's better not to move anywhere who's strict laws ..

Old 01-12-2010, 12:31 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

And special interest groups complain about separation of church and state here in the USA?

Laws like that make me scratch my head and ask "why"? Why do people live in a country with strict laws?

Old 01-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kev~ View Post
Laws like that make me scratch my head and ask "why"? Why do people live in a country with strict laws?
A better question IMO is why anyone would visit a country like that or in any way support it by buying their exports.

Of course we all do because we are the nation of oil consumption. I personally use as little as possible.

But I assure you I will never have an entry on my passport for such a country.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:54 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
And
Not everyone from the citizens of such countries lull upon such restrictions/laws .. Some out of them feel fear to stand against and some don't. But after all, it's their countries (law makers), they've a right of everything they want to do within their own land.
A simple solution is if move to such place, better not to violate their laws ..

Old 01-13-2010, 12:56 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

I agree with ScriptMan, it's good not to visit such countries ..

Old 01-13-2010, 01:53 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

sick gov.
i can't live in that place. i'm use to do it every time i date a woman

Old 01-13-2010, 05:40 AM
Senior Web Developer
Latest Blog:
None

What Cricket said,

You have to learn the rules of the place where you're going, you cannot expect everyone in the world to behave like they do in your own country. If you're not willing to accept that, don't leave your country for vacations.

(+54 9) 1155 601 661

Last edited by Hades; 01-13-2010 at 05:49 AM.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:52 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeel Sami View Post
A simple solution is if move to such place, better not to violate their laws ..
I guess that is one reason why so many muslims, hindus, sikhs and even christians are going to the USA. If you do not want to follow a certain religion, you do not have to.

There is a corner store across from where I work. There is this very nice muslim lady who works there - she does not cover her hair, she wears pants, she even drives her own car. From what I understand, she would be punished for such behavior in certain middle eastern countries.

Its nice to live in a country where you are free of oppression in the name of religion.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
I guess that is one reason why so many muslims, hindus, sikhs and even christians are going to the USA. If you do not want to follow a certain religion, you do not have to.

There is a corner store across from where I work. There is this very nice muslim lady who works there - she does not cover her hair, she wears pants, she even drives her own car. From what I understand, she would be punished for such behavior in certain middle eastern countries.

Its nice to live in a country where you are free of oppression in the name of religion.
Yes, I agree .. Strictness can't be faced all the time by everyone .. If this woman would be even in Pakistan, she would be punished, or if not punished the people would boycott of her, socially..

The countries who mix up religion in their political system, ain't admired by many countries .. The politics should be open for every sects, every followers of every religion .. It's all about to choose the right person for the right office (I'm talking of Pakistan) .. Sorry, I went bit off-topic ..

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues