Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 03-26-2010, 08:42 PM
v7n Mentor

Texas Boxing Kangaroo-disgrace!

Kraft recently promoted a show featuring a kangaroo being goaded into "boxing" a man dressed as a clown. The promotors, performers, and most of all the viewing public, who thought the whole thing was amusing, should be ashamed!
Kangaroos "box" when they are distressed and anxious, as a form of self-defence.
When are people going to stop thinking that animal cruelty is a form of entertainment???
[YT]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zQZN48SwnAE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zQZN48SwnAE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YT]

Last edited by Jo W; 03-26-2010 at 08:46 PM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 09:34 PM

They should sent the roo home and BBQ the clown.....

Old 03-27-2010, 01:34 PM
v7n Mentor

The show was cancelled after the outcry. Best thing to do is to boycott companies who use inappropriate marketing methods.

I can't understand for a moment how people found it amusing.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:46 PM
v7n Mentor

Ah, isn't that cute?

I don't know what you guys are complaining about, looking at the video I don't see anyone 'goading' that roo to box. Looks to me like the roo is ready and willing! The guy doesn't even have to chase the roo, he has to run from it! Dogs are trained to roll over and fetch, this roo is trained to knock your socks off. Not much difference, except he will hurt you if given the chance.

And although I can't say for sure, I would think the owners take better care of that roo than if he was running around loose in the outback, where he stands a good chance of either being run over by a road train or shot in a population-reduction hunt.

And it's not as if the roo has any chance of being bitten, shocked, stabbed, choked or any of the other things that happen to dogs before, during and after dog fights. If I were making money by running a sideshow attraction, I'd be sure to take very good care of my bread and butter.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Individualist

To each his own. I personally think it's a bit hypocritical to condemn "animal cruelty" while eating meat, wearing leather, etc. Interesting that most of the animal rights people seem to think that abortion is a-okay.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:39 PM
v7n Mentor

It is what defines "entertainment".
Kangas in the outback, whilst open to all sorts of possible fates, are at least "running around".
On a further note, the kangaroo's owner, Javier Martinez, was the clown IN the clownsuit.
Martinez baited the kangaroo by pushing it and poking it before placing it in a headlock.
If it fought back too much, Martinez's wife Sandra restrained it using a heavy tether attached to a harness around the animal's chest.
Martinez is known to US animal welfare authorities, having been on their watch list since 2003, when two kangaroos he was caring for died within four months
He's also been investigated by PETA, which says one of the kangaroos died from a bacterial disease called lumpy jaw.
It just ain't amusing....

Old 03-27-2010, 07:58 PM
v7n Mentor

Frankly it appears the point is being missed. Why isnt there an investigation about the clown cruelty on display? Who will protect the clowns?

Old 03-27-2010, 08:44 PM
v7n Mentor

I'm not seeing where the kangaroo was hurt?

Old 03-27-2010, 09:29 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjones View Post
Frankly it appears the point is being missed. Why isnt there an investigation about the clown cruelty on display? Who will protect the clowns?
....clowns on the other hand deserve all they get! Like running fingernails down a chalk board! hehe -I'm in there with the kanga on that one!

Old 03-27-2010, 09:39 PM
v7n Mentor

One thing I gotta add... I'm a pretty hardcore animal lover... but telling me someone is being investigated by PETA doesnt move me. They are, in a nutshell, nuttier than a jar of Skippy. One of the cofounders, Ingrid Newkirk, says on her website...
Quote:
, they are not ours to use—for food, clothing, entertainment, experimentation, or for any other reason.
Pardon the hell outta me Ms Newkirk... but that's horse-hockey. You dont wanna wear leather or fur (or silk... cant forget the poor silkworms you think are abused)... your call, but dont expect the rest of us to follow your silliness. I notice when you guys throw paint on people that wear animal skins you always pick on wealthy women wearing fur. Next time go for the big game... jog your self-righteous butts to a bar with Harley's in the front and throw paint on a couple of bikers wearing leather jackets. That oughta be REAL educational.

Testing on animals is the reason we don't have polio, we do have a lot of great drugs that cure us of disease, and the reason many other scientific advances have taken place. Of course we *could* keep the same level of necessary medical research going if we were to drop animal testing and switch to using PETA volunteers. That'd also solve the problem we have where research assistants get attached to the cute little lab rats. Might even be better, cause there are some things even lab rats just won't do.

But my favorite PETA silliness is their aversion to milking cattle. If you ever think PETA is run by even marginally sane people... read the letter the executive VP of PETA sent to Ben & Jerry founders. SOURCE: WPTZ NEWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETA's letter to Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield

September 23, 2008
Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, Cofounders
Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc.

Dear Mr. Cohen and Mr. Greenfield,

On behalf of PETA and our more than 2 million members and supporters, I'd like to bring your attention to an innovative new idea from Switzerland that would bring a unique twist to Ben and Jerry's.

Storchen restaurant is set to unveil a menu that includes soups, stews, and sauces made with at least 75 percent breast milk procured from human donors who are paid in exchange for their milk. If Ben and Jerry's replaced the cow's milk in its ice cream with breast milk, your customers-and cows-would reap the benefits.

Using cow's milk for your ice cream is a hazard to your customer's health. Dairy products have been linked to juvenile diabetes, allergies, constipation, obesity, and prostate and ovarian cancer. The late Dr. Benjamin Spock, America's leading authority on child care, spoke out against feeding cow's milk to children, saying it may play a role in anemia, allergies, and juvenile diabetes and in the long term, will set kids up for obesity and heart disease-America's number one cause of death.

Animals will also benefit from the switch to breast milk. Like all mammals, cows only produce milk during and after pregnancy, so to be able to constantly milk them, cows are forcefully impregnated every nine months. After several years of living in filthy conditions and being forced to produce 10 times more milk than they would naturally, their exhausted bodies are turned into hamburgers or ground up for soup.

And of course, the veal industry could not survive without the dairy industry. Because male calves can't produce milk, dairy farmers take them from their mothers immediately after birth and sell them to veal farms, where they endure 14 to17 weeks of torment chained inside a crate so small that they can't even turn around.

The breast is best! Won't you give cows and their babies a break and our health a boost by switching from cow's milk to breast milk in Ben and Jerry's ice cream? Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Tracy Reiman
Executive Vice President
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	peta protest.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	11763  

Last edited by robjones; 03-27-2010 at 09:42 PM.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Individualist

I love dogs. Always thought that you can tell something about people by how they treat animals. But these people who run to their legislatures and enact animal rights laws don't seem to be any different from the people who want to outlaw homosexuality or ban smoking in pubs or otherwise cram their morality down other people's throats.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:14 PM
v7n Mentor

hehe Being Aussie, I didn't realize the over-zealousness of PETA-I assumed it was more in keeping with the (R)SPCA! Their tactics and obsessiveness are absurd! Breast milk ice-cream?!!! Ummmmm...
Too militant and too fanatical....it's all about rights-the right to live as you please without hurting the rights of others...that's where the debate comes in!

Old 03-28-2010, 07:00 AM
v7n Mentor

PETA sadly goes beyond "overzealous". They're addicted to telling others what to do. So much so they would rather keep the $33 million budget they shear from well meaning people who assume they actually give a darn about animals instead of actually using it to the purposes intended. In 2009 they found homes for 1 of 300 animals they took in for that purpose... and they killed 97% of those they took in.

Couple of years ago a pair of PETA employees were caught taking animals away from vets and animal refuge centers for the purported reason of finding homes for them. It was cheaper to kill them than place them, and they gave them lethal injections in the van after leaving and disposed of them in a dumpster. They were seen, and arrested.

PETA forked out the money to defend their employees. They were let off on the most serious charges on a technicality and fined rather than imprisoned as a result... but only after the defense their attorney used was that the animals were their "property" and they could do it if they wanted. This contradicts their own line that states that animals are the same as humans and have the same rights... or as the founder says... "there is no rational basis for saying human beings have special rights... a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy."

If they believed their own stuff... their employees would be on trial for murder. They didnt just euthenize suffering animals, they executed perfectly healthy critters that were by their own notes in excellent condition and "adorable", "perfect", etc.

Here's a news article about the trial. You can tell the reporter wanted to rip PETA a new backside for not practicing what they preach. They have gone on record with bizarre commandments that we eliminate the "animal cruelty" caused by medical testing, and the founder has said "even if animal research results in a cure for AIDS, we'd be against it".

Meanwhile, they defended their own practice of slaughtering healthy animals by stating in court they were "PETA's property and she had absolute legal authority to do it."

News article about trial
Protest site: PETA Kills Animals

They arent just "funny" crazy... they're deadly crazy and basically have a severe case of megalomania.

Last edited by robjones; 03-28-2010 at 07:03 AM.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:48 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo W View Post
When are people going to stop thinking that animal cruelty is a form of entertainment???
Yea, lets just shoot the poor animal, put it out of its misery and then bar-b-q it.

How does smoked Kangaroo taste anyway? If the meat is tough, just grind it up and make it into sausage.

After all, we are talking about Texas here. If it can fit on my pit, I can cook it. The cooking surface on my pit is 6 feet 9 inches long and 29 inches across. I bet I could cook that whole kangroo at one time.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:35 PM
v7n Mentor

hehe hmmmmm ..at least you aren't laughing at the kanga's distress! That was always my point..... and that's one BIG pit!

Old 03-29-2010, 07:42 PM
v7n Mentor

That's bigger than MY pit.

Great, now I have pit envy.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:31 AM
v7n Mentor

Size doesn't matter..... much......

Old 03-30-2010, 07:18 AM
v7n Mentor

Its a shame when people treat animals like that. Lets just eat it instead.

Send the poor thing my way, I'll take care of it. This picture was taken at a beach party I went to a couple of years ago. My pit in the foreground and my truck in the background.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09829Small.jpg
Views:	1142
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	11772  

Old 03-30-2010, 01:12 PM
v7n Mentor

Breast milk ice cream?

Believe me, there are not nearly enough lactating women to supply enough milk for just one ice cream maker, let alone all of them!

I was raised on a farm. If you don't milk cows, they leak. Seriously. Cows are designed to make milk for man, that's why they have that big bag between their rear legs. Cows must be milked every day.

And if we are to no longer use cow hides for leather clothing, car seats, shoes, hats, etc., what does PETA think we should do with them, throw them in the dump? Big corporations and ranches make millions of dollars and employ millions of people by turning cows, bulls and steers into meat products, not to mention other products that contain at least some bovine material. Think the economy is in bad shape now, stop eating meat and see what happens.

I am all for putting them down as painlessly as possible. Mankind is here to be caretaker of the animals, not to mistreat them or treat the animals as equals. They have their place, we have ours.

I suppose PETA is also against thinning out a wild herd so that there is enough food for those who are left? Or do they prefer to let all of them die of starvation?

Simply put, PETA's boat don't float.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:17 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Farlow View Post

I suppose PETA is also against thinning out a wild herd so that there is enough food for those who are left? Or do they prefer to let all of them die of starvation?

Simply put, PETA's boat don't float.
I dont know for sure, but I think the people at PETA would rather the deer get hit by a car and die a slow painful death on the side of the road; then to get shot, die a quick death and be eaten by humans.

Sunday, I saw 2 whitetail deer dead in the median of the highway just south of town. That is 2 perfectly good deer that could have been in someone freezer. Instead, the buzzards and maggots are going to get them.

Over population causes a number of risk factors, including vehicle collision, starvation, higher risk of disease due to poor diet,,,,,,.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues