Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 05-24-2010, 01:20 AM
Banned

Goodbye To Privacy?

Quote:
"I'm sick of keeping track of my Facebook privacy settings and what boxes I have to check to protect myself," says Hoggard, a computer programmer. "I don't have a lot of illusions about online privacy, but Facebook has gone too far," he says of Facebook's recent privacy policy changes.

More of this at

http://www.pcworld.com/article/19678...o_privacy.html

For all the debate about privacy, some people don't see what they should be worried about, beyond getting more e-mails from aggressive marketers and corporations.

In Great Britain and Australia, there have been high-profile murder cases in which police say the victims died at the hands of strangers they met on Facebook. But there appear to be few, if any, such cases in America.

Police and Internet security experts, however, say they see cybercriminals putting more emphasis on trolling social networks for victims.

The FBI's Moss said she couldn't talk about any ongoing cases, but she noted that the eight agents in her unit are handling an increasing number of cases where online criminals use social networks to pass malicious codes and viruses along social circles.

Two years ago, she noted, there were no such codes targeting social networks. By last year, 19 percent of malicious viruses and codes focused on social networks. "We get at least two calls a week that we end up tracing" to such attacks, Moss said. "If you're trying to make a quick buck, you go where the victims will be. And everyone knows (social networking) is the hot place to be."

Noting that the Facebook system allows friends of friends of friends to gain access to your information, she said it isn't hard for strangers to slip into your circle.

Criminals can use details from your page - where you work or live or hobbies you enjoy - to craft e-mails personalized to induce you to click on their malicious attachments.

Often, Moss said, those attachments can copy personal data off your hard drive.

"People have an image of unsophisticated hackers out there stealing their information," said Adam Palmer, lead cyber-security adviser for Norton Security. "But organized crime realizes there's big money" to be gained online.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#ixzz0opiC1cRz

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 01:58 AM
Banned

whew, that was a long story of facebook privacy history. i didn't know google buzz has issues too. but its always been the case since time.

Quote:
Often, Moss said, those attachments can copy personal data off your hard drive.
i'd love to have this software , if there really is.

we probably can't stop privacy abuse. it all written

Last edited by turf; 05-24-2010 at 02:01 AM.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:53 AM

Yeah Facebook can get scary. I think there's a clause somewhere when you sign up for Facebook that says anything you upload to Facebook becomes their property and they're free to use it without your permission. That's too much.

On the other hand, people can control this by not publishing their personal info on such a public site like Facebook!

Old 05-26-2010, 12:24 AM
V7N Cheesy Mentor

I think we are the making Facebook that scary..We are making it as a diary..Users keep on posting what they are doing, how do they feel, and whatever they like..How can we keep our privacy if we are the one broadcasting it to the world..

Old 05-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

Those Facebook users that don't know or bother the privacy filter offered by Facebook became the common prey for online predators, identity thieves, social networking serial killers and malicious spyware/malware.. a proper knowledge about the privacy feature and proper dissemination of information about it might help users to avoid being victimized by the said threats.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues