Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 09-24-2010, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Senate debates tax increases on companies that move jobs overseas

Quote:
The Senate will have a tax cut debate next week after all. But instead of extending President Bush's individual income tax cuts, the legislation senators will consider would impose tax increases on corporations that shift operations overseas, costing U.S. jobs.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (Nev.) sought to bring the bill to the floor Friday morning but was blocked by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.), setting the stage for Monday afternoon floor speeches and a Tuesday showdown when Democrats try to override GOP opposition.

Democrats view the outsourcing issue as a big winner with voters because it speaks to the heavy manufacturing job losses that have devastated communities in Midwest and East Coast industrial states.

"There is no issue more important to the American people than the outsourcing of jobs, and that's why we're focusing on it," said Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), a member of Senate Democratic leadership. He is among the senators running for re-election on Nov. 2.

One hard-hit state is the 2010 election battleground of Ohio. For instance, Montgomery County, home to Dayton, has seen its manufacturing jobs base shrink to 24,000 jobs from 57,000 jobs in the past 10 years. "This legislation is going to help stop the hemorrhaging," said Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio).
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...092403293.html

Bravo! That's what they have to do.

Robespierre

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-26-2010, 06:15 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Elements View Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...092403293.html

Bravo! That's what they have to do.
I think what would be more logical instead of taxing even more to U.S. companies regardless what or where they do it...if the increased the tariffs in imports allowing fair competition, meaning that the costs with products made over seas by anyone is equal to what it would cost a company to do the same here. Since they are very unlikely to meet the atmosphere that is available in nations without all of the permit, study, pollution control, etc costs...if they charged the imports to make them cost as much then the incentive to save costs by escaping the higher tax rates and other costly requirements would be gone.

To do otherwise is anti-American as you make our companies less competitive while allowing foreign companies to continue to operate at the lower cost levels.
www.pchelper123.com

Old 09-26-2010, 07:03 AM
v7n Mentor

In this one I agree with thegamerslink.
In the long run taxing US corporations abroad would not work.
One reason, well expressed by Ross Perot, 'corporations do not pay taxes'.
Does anyone else here remember Ross' pie charts?

A tariff is plain and simple unlike the US tax code which is
so convoluted with roll backs, setbacks, averaging, cost amortization
and etc ad infinitum that no one will or would know if they were paying their taxes or not ... just as it is now.

A tariff is plain and simple. Easily collected and cost effective.
Pay the tax at the port of entry or go home.
Also ... an added benefit. We will finally inspect cargo
at point of entry

Down with the WTO.

Rabble Park

Last edited by rabble; 09-26-2010 at 07:08 AM.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Guys all those thoughts are just to darned logical and fair for Congress to enact them. Get real. They are there to screw you and line their own pockets.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:07 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
Guys all those thoughts are just to darned logical and fair for Congress to enact them. Get real. They are there to screw you and line their own pockets.
Speaking of lining their own pockets...I do find it very interesting that those on Social Security did not get a cost of living increase this year though those in Congress did get their raise I have some difficulty in understanding that logic...anyone have insight?
www.pchelper123.com

Old 09-26-2010, 08:20 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Honeslly if the federal government, or states or cities raise taxes continously it is because they spend too much and they wipe out their budgets and never anticipate the worse. We saw that in many cases.

Like anyone of us, they should tight their belts not by laying off workers but rather by reduce the highest salaries paid by taxpayers. For example in the private sector the CEO of Citi bank refused to be paid for almost 2 years, now that's a great example.

After all they should show example to all.

Robespierre

Old 09-26-2010, 08:33 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Honeslly if the federal government, or states or cities raise taxes continously it is because they spend too much and they wipe out their budgets and never anticipate the worse. We saw that in many cases.

Like anyone of us, they should tight their belts not by laying off workers but rather by reduce the highest salaries paid by taxpayers. For example in the private sector the CEO of Citi bank refused to be paid for almost 2 years, now that's a great example.

After all they should show example to all.
Let us not intermix those that work in the private sector with those in Government...the position of Senator and Congress person if I am not mistaken was never meant to be a full time position. It was meant to be a service above and beyond your own way of making a living. I can see that to avoid conflict of interest those making decisions being separated during their terms, though as we all not the conflicts still exist...but I believe it unfair to expect or demand to impose our own preferences or views on how companies decide to pay their employees regardless their position in the company.

If we are not employed with the company, or we own no interests in the company then why should our opinion mean anything? If someone is making multi-millions of dollars for their position it means one they are a good contract negotiator, two they have worked hard to garner the worth, and three the company they have been employed for has chosen through stock holder vote and the board of directors to do so. If we find it troubling or difficult to accept to work for a wage that is commensurate to our skill level, or if we have failed to negotiate the best paying contract then I think it is our personal responsibility to improve our position through available means, not take the attitude that someone else is making to much more than we are and demand they don't. That to me seems like a selfish and reversed logic that is in opposition to the ideology behind a free market system.
www.pchelper123.com

Old 09-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
if we have failed to negotiate the best paying contract then I think it is our personal responsibility
From what I experienced throught my American family is depending of the good faith of negociating from both sides. Often negociations talk are blocked by corporations.

For example my father in law was chief mechanic in the airline industry under union contract. After several years, the contract needs to be renewed, and often negociations take a very long time. When he was retired at (65 years old) it tooks one year for the contract negociation to end positively at (66 years old), then he enjoyed his new contract salary for one year before he past away.

I found this extremely sad that after he worked all his life in this industry that he did not enjoy his retirement like he should the last years of his life, perhaps I am emotional but I found this outrageous.

I have other family members in US which are in the same position with negociating contracts with corporations, and let me tell you that it can be a different field and different company, they all act the same way.

It is absolutely not our personal responsability when the other side do everything to refuse or take the sweet time to go to the negotiating table and act responsibly.

Robespierre

Last edited by Franc Tireur; 09-26-2010 at 09:21 AM.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:31 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
From what I experienced throught my American family is depending of the good faith of negociating from both sides. Often negociations talk are blocked by corporations.

For example my father in law was chief mechanic in the airline industry under union contract. After several years, the contract needs to be renewed, and often negociations take a very long time. When he was retired at (65 years old) it tooks one year for the contract negociation to end positively at (66 years old), then he enjoyed his new contract salary for one year before he past away.

I found this extremely sad that after he worked all his life in this industry that he did not enjoy his retirement like he should the last years of his life, perhaps I am emotional but I found this outrageous.

I have other family members in US which are in the same position with negociating contracts with corporations, and let me tell you that it can be a different field and different company, they all act the same way.

It is absolutely not our personal responsability when the other side do everything to refuse or take the sweet time to go to the negotiating table and act responsibly.
I was not considering the Union negotiating table. I was speaking from the perspective of the individual. Often in Union and Corporate negotiations both sides are equally unwilling to consider the opposite side of the table when making suggestions or demands. It has been my observation that Unions often talk their members right out of things in the interest of either status, or Union entity position with little regard for the actual members individual positions.

I am sorry about his experience, though I am a bit confused, was he not receiving retirement at the level of when he retired?
www.pchelper123.com

Old 09-26-2010, 10:07 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegamerslink View Post
I was not considering the Union negotiating table. I was speaking from the perspective of the individual. Often in Union and Corporate negotiations both sides are equally unwilling to consider the opposite side of the table when making suggestions or demands. It has been my observation that Unions often talk their members right out of things in the interest of either status, or Union entity position with little regard for the actual members individual positions.

I am sorry about his experience, though I am a bit confused, was he not receiving retirement at the level of when he retired?
At the time that he retired the previous contract had expired and the new one was still under negotiation. So he was receiving retirement at the level of the prior contract and had to wait almost a year for the new contract to be negotiated before receiving his retirement that should have been in effect at the time he retired.

Robespierre

Old 09-26-2010, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegamerslink View Post
Often in Union and Corporate negotiations both sides are equally unwilling to consider the opposite side of the table when making suggestions or demands. It has been my observation that Unions often talk their members right out of things in the interest of either status, or Union entity position with little regard for the actual members individual positions.
Well Unions are not perfect, but it is better than nothing from my point of view.

Robespierre

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues