Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 10-26-2010, 02:20 PM
Contributing Member

Food Prices Expected to Rise Sharply

Quote:
Everyone is waiting for inflation.

Corn is up 45 percent the last three months. We haven't seen cotton prices this high since after the Civil War. Soybeans are up. Oil is up. Metals are up. So are coffee and cocoa.

In this era of massive liquidity, everything is up, except for food prices—specifically processed food (made from many of the same commodities and other ingredients whose prices have risen).

According to the USDA, that is going to change. In its most recent CPI report for food, the USDA reported that prices are expected to rise in 2011.

For all food, prices are expected to rise two to three percent, which is double the levels of 2010. Meat prices are expected to rise up to 3.5 percent, and dairy 5.5 percent.

"The forecast for 2011, that remains unchanged, but it's moving to the higher part of that range," said Ephraim Leibtag, who serves as a senior economist for the USDA and out together the report. He added, "The potential to go above that is more likely if current commodity price increases remain where they are or rise even more."

There are some caveats here. First, we are coming off historically low prices, so the jumps in prices need to be viewed on a relative basis.

Second, and perhaps most important, the recent spikes in prices for soft commodities like corn and soybeans are not even priced into retail food prices ... yet.

That means we could see these projections revised upward in the ensuing months.

"Commodities are a big factor whenever we see deviation from the normal rate of food inflation," Leibtag said. "Right now, it indicates cost pressure, and the question is: Will the cost be passed on to the consumer?"
http://www.cnbc.com/id/39835403

Time to grow our vegetables and fruits ourselves!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-26-2010, 10:31 PM

My boat has been sitting for over a year.......(problems beyond my control)

Getting it cleaned up and ready to run...
Fortunately I love to eat fish...
It is moored on a 300 mile long river......

I have been watching food prices creep up over the past year....
Regardless of the government reports...I have witnessed 20% increases on many items...

Maybe I just don't use the same stores they do.....

( And wonder why I don't trust their numbers)

Years ago and old guy...(about my age now) said....numbers don't lie...but liars use numbers...
Hmmmmm...

Old 10-27-2010, 07:30 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gillum View Post
....numbers don't lie...but liars use numbers...
Hmmmmm...
That's so true Jim

Old 11-19-2010, 03:30 AM

You are true mate, If the food prices increases too, what will do in future.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:04 PM
v7n Mentor

I imagine that using corn and sugar for ethanol to deliver a more polluting and more expensive automobile fuel has to be contributing to the issue of higher prices food as well.

I wish they'd take ethanol out of tanks and put it back into our martinis where it belongs

Regarding the price of food, I believe that there is always a sale somewhere and I try to shop wisely and in quantity when it is warranted. I think we'll all have to eat at home a little more.

But there are no more green peppers 7 for $1 or 3 for $1 cans of vegetables - food has definitely already gone up... I feel like an old woman... "in my day, bananas were $.19 a pound..... "

And you are right about growing our own food. I'm experimenting with those topsy turvy tomato growers and I've had my eye on an aerogarden (www.aerogarden.com)

The Square Foot Gardening book has some great ideas on gardening in smaller areas - even on patios. There are some other great books out on urban gardening. It's hard here in Texas because Summer is just too hot and dry. I'd love to have a greenhouse for winter produce but currently have no space (also have a boat sitting in the backyard - undergoing renovations...... perpetual renovations. Hoping to get it back in the water in the Spring - all we have are lakes - and I'm not a catfish fan - blech)

Old 11-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Contributing Member

When I get asked why I want to live in the country and actually have land around my house, this is one of he reasons that instantly comes up. Being able to laugh at those that are stuck in condos having to pay for rising food prices while I can grow my own (and taste better as well) will be a nice payback for the constant ribbing of living "in the middle of nowhere"

Old 11-20-2010, 10:32 AM
Contributing Member

Prices are going up on absolutely everything, but due to the recession, wages are not. Something will have to give eventually

Old 11-23-2010, 12:39 PM
Contributing Member

yes..prices are going up and salaries doesnt match prices..cost of living has really become a task..and we need to accept..Survival of the fittest.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:15 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutsell6 View Post
yes..prices are going up and salaries doesnt match prices..cost of living has really become a task..and we need to accept..Survival of the fittest.
Since government intervention in the free market system is what is messing with prices - I don't want to accept that.

Government decisions to use ethanol in gasoline. Government decisions to go into massive debt and print money. Takeovers of industry that should have been left to die if they are uncompetitive..... Billions of dollars in foreign aid.... medicare and medicaid fraud in the billions of dollars.....

These are not things we should have to accept.

It seems like survival of the politically favored and the corrupt not the fittest.

Wow - hectic day, I'm being more frank than normal!!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues