Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 01-20-2011, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeMoore View Post
My business voice is not put on either. It's an unconscious way I talk. Kinda of like in the South where I unconsciously talk slower and with my high school buddies where I unconsciously talk like at 15 year old. ha. But you could be right Muddy.
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that it was fake or anything. I do know what you mean about being chameleonesque and still being completely honest.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-20-2011, 09:10 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Effeminate - traits in a human male, that are more often associated with traditional feminine nature, behavior, mannerisms, style or gender roles.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebshoppeSolutions View Post
Effeminate - traits in a human male, that are more often associated with traditional feminine nature, behavior, mannerisms, style or gender roles.
But how many women do you hear talking like that?

Old 01-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

[yt]CmqlxWT2ps4[/yt]

Old 01-20-2011, 09:48 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
But how many women do you hear talking like that?

You don't, because women are feminine, not effeminate.

Effeminate, is a term used for men because they act more "like" a woman .. these men are not feminine .. they are effeminate.
Men, whether they be gay or not, can never be feminine .. only effeminate, to various certain degrees.

The lisp can only be attributed to men. You don't see a woman "pretending" to be a woman because she is already a woman. Men, on the other hand, are not women, and traits, like the lisp, for instance, is a byproduct of what happens when men try to be more like a woman ..

Old 01-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

They put the voice and manerisms on so as to be different and show that they are gay.

Ok, this may not apply to all gay people but many years back I worked at a clothing store and it had a few gay members of staff and I used to go out having a few drinks and for a boogie with them (believe it or not, if you like dancing, gay diva clubs really do have the best music lol!) and I asked one of them "whats going on with the voice with a lot of gay people" (though he did not speak like that). His boyfriend spoke efeminately but not him. He explained to me that they put it on on purpose to sound/be different. That goes for the manerisms also.

He did also explain that there may be the odd one or two that genuinely speak like that but they are few and far between.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:42 AM
v7n Mentor

didn't realise cricket was so complex ....

I had a psychiatric exam ( so bloody cursory )
about a month ago.
One of the questions was 'did I hear voices other people didn't hear?'
I said, "No.' Mainly because I suspected you heard them too. 's'

oh yes. I believe the lisp is affected.

Rabble Park

Old 01-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by G10 View Post
They put the voice and manerisms on so as to be different and show that they are gay.

Ok, this may not apply to all gay people but many years back I worked at a clothing store and it had a few gay members of staff and I used to go out having a few drinks and for a boogie with them (believe it or not, if you like dancing, gay diva clubs really do have the best music lol!) and I asked one of them "whats going on with the voice with a lot of gay people" (though he did not speak like that). His boyfriend spoke efeminately but not him. He explained to me that they put it on on purpose to sound/be different. That goes for the manerisms also.

He did also explain that there may be the odd one or two that genuinely speak like that but they are few and far between.
This is very interesting! I'd like to hear more about this from gay folks themselves. Might have to join a gay forum and talk it up.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
Might have to join a gay forum and talk it up.
Okay! All done! Signed up as RobJones!

Old 01-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

It is a social thing in most cases, here are some reasons.

History - 30 years ago when this phenomena began only really "girly" gay man "came out". All the people who could act like straight guys did that. This is why when the first less girly guys came out in the 70's, their social circle was the "girly" gay who were "early adapters". From there it become a social things.

Another answer is - for the same reason African Americans have their own lingo (African UK guys talk like white UK guys...). It's a "fight the power" thing, to spite on purpose...

And #3 - Because they can

#4 for the same reason african Americans call them selves "N word" - you take the biggest weapon the enemy has, and turn it into your weapon... think about it...

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues