Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 01-14-2011, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Why Do Gay Men Talk With a Lisp?

OK, OK, I know they all don't, and I know it's not really a lisp. I'm not sure what it's called. An affectation perhaps? A mannerism? An air? I'm confident you know what I'm talking about though. So the question is, why is this way of expression as widespread as it is among gay men? As mentioned, not all talk this way. Women don't talk this way, well some do, but most do not. Not even if they're lesbian. In fact lesbians don't have a special way of talking like these gay men do. Apart from the occasional "butch", you'd be hard pressed to tell a lesbian from a heterosexual woman by her voice.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-14-2011, 11:17 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I dont think that they do.

I think that the gay men that are willing to be known as gay, flamboyent and feminine in nature may alter their speech so as to speak in a "gay voice".....but im sure that this would actually be only a small percentage, though it be the most visible or vocal percentage.

Why did you post here, you could have simply asked your boyfriend ?

Old 01-14-2011, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooks View Post
Why did you post here, you could have simply asked your boyfriend ?
He said he was busy with you at the time.

Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

LOL!

No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

I wonder if that is more dependent on where ya live. I only see that type of speech on television shows.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
I dont think that they do.

I think that the gay men that are willing to be known as gay, flamboyent and feminine in nature may alter their speech so as to speak in a "gay voice".....but im sure that this would actually be only a small percentage, though it be the most visible or vocal percentage.
Yes, I agree...a small percentage...but enough that it's common. Both in real life and in movies etc. Enough that that voice is associated with gay men. So why is that? Going a step further, if as you say, they alter their speech so as to talk in a "gay voice"...why?

Old 01-14-2011, 11:23 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Now you mention it, i saw a documantary on Texas and recall the speech pattern Muddy is talking about. Being in Australia, im afraid im accustomed to deep husky voices.

*runs*

Old 01-14-2011, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
I wonder if that is more dependent on where ya live. I only see that type of speech on television shows.
You have to be kidding! lol! I hear it ALL the time...I'm in the south like you btw...

Old 01-14-2011, 11:25 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I think perhaps they change their speech pattern in an attempt to be different, perhaps to invoke a feminine tone, or sometimes....simply to be noticed.

I believe this would be the same regarding dress, which in many cases can be outrageous, flamboyent and distinctly gay or butch.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Now you mention it, i saw a documantary on Texas and recall the speech pattern Muddy is talking about. Being in Australia, im afraid im accustomed to deep husky voices.

*runs*
There's even a pattern of "gay voice" in the south that's distinct from the north. I grew up in Alaska and have lived the last 20 years in Florida. I've witnessed both.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:27 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
Yes, I agree...a small percentage...but enough that it's common. Both in real life and in movies etc. Enough that that voice is associated with gay men. So why is that? Going a step further, if as you say, they alter their speech so as to talk in a "gay voice"...why?
Perhaps for the same reason, I type in a redneck manner. Maybe we want to be seen as who we are, and we make it more apparent..... But in reality, we should be seen for who we are inside, not our sexual identities, or even our cultural backgrounds. Still thinking on this....

Old 01-14-2011, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Perhaps for the same reason, I type in a redneck manner. Maybe we want to be seen as who we are, and we make it more apparent..... But in reality, we should be seen for who we are inside, not our sexual identities, or even our cultural backgrounds. Still thinking on this....
So if that's true, are they wrong for donning that air? Is it just fake? I don't think so...I think it's very natural. I think it would be fake for them to talk otherwise. That's why I'm wondering...is it biological? Is it social?...hmm

Old 01-14-2011, 11:32 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
I've witnessed both.
First hand

I have to leave but Muddy, I will contact you about Alaska later.....Man, the place of my dreams to visit.

I will leave the topic with an addition to your question, asked with all sincerety.

Is there a different speech pattern or could it be an indication of who plays the male or female role in a gay relationship? If there is indeed a role, as such.

Disclaimer
Just for the record, I have no feelings for or against gays and this discussion is a genuine attempt to understand the topic at hand. I would invite any Gay Member of the community to explain their thoughts and allow us to understand this a bit more.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:38 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I think the lisp is the gay mans way of letting everyone else know he is gay especially to his close friends. I've worked with gay men and have a few as friends and there is a big difference in the way they talk at work and the way the converse down at the gay bar.

Quote:
you could have simply asked your boyfriend ?
lol... I'm sure he would have told him that sometimes its harder to speak tired mouth.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmvictoria View Post
I think the lisp is the gay mans way of letting everyone else know he is gay especially to his close friends. I've worked with gay men and have a few as friends and there is a big difference in the way they talk at work and the way the converse down at the gay bar.

lol... I'm sure he would have told him that sometimes its harder to speak tired mouth.
Based on what you just said and what a friend just said in msgr, is it a popular understanding that this special voice is nothing more than a facade? Something donned and doffed at will for no other reason than to send a message to those of like mind?

Old 01-15-2011, 12:58 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

I'm not sure I would so much call it a facade as much as I would just calling it human nature to perhaps take on a role (yeah that is the wrong word) of how we see things.

As an example, do we maybe speak a bit differently when we are in a corporate setting as opposed to playing darts with our friends in the local bar? Around me, my kid sounds a bit more redneck, around babies she comes across as a lil southern belle. Around friends she can quickly switch to a gangsta type talk like, sup mama.... lol

Old 01-15-2011, 07:16 AM
v7n Mentor

Good thought Cricket. Friends and family often point out to me that I'm still in "business voice" when I'm done working. I certainly have a different way I interact and relate to people in a business setting than in a personal setting. I don't even have to switch into business voice, but I sometimes have to consciously shift out of it.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

I know what you guys are saying about "business voice" etc. but I have to think it's different in the case of gay men. It doesn't seem to be something "put on". Must be more to it...

Old 01-20-2011, 06:26 PM
v7n Mentor

My business voice is not put on either. It's an unconscious way I talk. Kinda of like in the South where I unconsciously talk slower and with my high school buddies where I unconsciously talk like at 15 year old. ha. But you could be right Muddy.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:28 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

I have about 17 voices, but most are in my head.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues