Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 03-14-2006, 06:30 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Bush declares war on freedom of the press

Reading some emails this morning I was shocked to read about how the American government has treathened a journalist with jail time if he didn't edit and article, see here;

http://www.hoffmania.com/blog/2006/03/feds_squelch_ca.html

Looking for the sources and to get more information I found this here;

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/blog/2006/03/bush_declares_war_on_freedom_o.html

Me thinks this means the end of free speech for the American public. That the US government has been spoon-feeding the major news agencies for a couple of years now with their propaganda to justify their politics is nothing new and known in the whole world by now, but this takes it to another level.

From now on, bloggers, newspapers, all the 'former' free press need to write only that which is 'approved' by the US government,....or else!

How does this make the American government's claims that they 'protect freedom and democracy in the world' sound to you?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-14-2006, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Freedom of speech has "limits", don't ya know.
The patriot act gave Bush all the tools he needs to crap on the constitution at will. He could bomb one of his own cities tomorrow and justify it with the patriot act if he wanted to.

I think Bush declared war on sanity a long time ago, Ferre.

Old 03-14-2006, 07:44 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Frankly, I don't give a rat's ass about how he goes about within America, afterall it's the American people themselves (at least half of them) who voted him into office, and if they didn't, as many people claim, it's still up to the Americans to decide what to do about it, there is a functioning justice system there and all the requered laws are in place to find justice...if they want.

What bothers me is that they interfere with the rest of the world as if they own it, only because they have more weapons than the rest of the world combined, and because they have shown the world that they don't have a problem at all in illegal invasions, war crimes, torture and the use of nuclear waste on civillian targets.

The American government is out of control and a danger to the world if you ask me, and it's getting more and more scary every day.

It's not something to make jokes about, our free world is in danger.

Old 03-14-2006, 07:51 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferre
...(at least half of them) ...

That's half of those who voted.
We had more people vote for american idol then in the elections.
The problem is alot of Americans feel "their vote doesn't really count, so why bother"...

Quote:

The American government is out of control and a danger to the world if you ask me, and it's getting more and more scary every day.
I'm an American. And I feel the same way.
Bush's approval rating is at an all time low here.

Old 03-14-2006, 08:16 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Well, you're not alone. Most people outside the US are waiting for the day that the American public wakes up and does something about it.

The American people are the only ones who can restore the balance and safe this world from their leaders, they just get to realize that.

...the world is waiting for many years already btw.

Old 03-14-2006, 08:24 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

I mostly agree with you, Ferre, and I am also an American. AND I voted for Bush! I used to love him....now I am completely disenchanted. I could not foresee what a total disaster of a leader he would become.

One thing I disagree with, Ferre; I don't think that the USA is out for world domination in an "evil" way. I truly think we just want peace and equality for everyone within their own countries, because we know how awesome it is to live the way we do, and we want to share the love. What's totally skewed is our way of implementing those goals.

That being said, my personal opinion is that I don't think it's our business to tell anyone how they should live. I have always thought that the United States should stay out of other countries both militarily and economically. We should keep our money to ourselves and help our own people, versus doling it out to other countries who don't appreciate it.

Old 03-14-2006, 08:31 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

If they (US government) would only stop dumping their nuclear waste bombs on other countries that would be a good start. It's a cheap way of getting rid of nuclear waste but it's beyond all morals.

The so called desert winds that bring fine dust from the middle eastern deserts every year in Europe because of atmospheric winds is now bringing nuclear particles to our homes and gardens, thanks to the American public, who don't control their government.

When we, and our children develop cancers we know who to thank for that.

..and that's only one of the things we don't appreciate.

Old 03-14-2006, 09:16 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Did you hear about Fox News having security who calls people that call in O'Reilly's show? One guy called and mentioned Keith Olbermann (he's great). He got cut off, and O'Reilly threatened that Fox news security would call him, and then call local police. WTF is up with that? Apparently he's done it to several callers. Since when does talk radio have that kind of power?

America is going down the ****ter, fast.

Old 03-14-2006, 09:21 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Yep. Modern fascism smells like McDonalds and looks like a buick. It's not the old black boots anymore.

Old 03-14-2006, 09:57 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Ferre, I would hope that every American would vote AGAINST dumping nuclear waste in any country. However, those choices are out of our hands. No matter who we elect as President, there will always be officials making those decisions without any of us (Americans) knowing about it or being able to influence it. There are a ton of environmentalist groups out there who are pressuring the government to change its ways....but, unfortunately, I can't imagine it happening. Politicians are too corrupt and the almighty dollar speaks louder than anything.

In the US, we are buried under a plethora of different toxins, and there are a lot of environmentalist groups out there battling for clean air and water, etc. Often times those committees are heavily supported by Hollywood celebrities. What's ironic about that is many of these celebs are smokers! Oh the hypocrisy...lol! Smoking and concentrated second hand smoke is way more likely to kill a person and their family than widely-dispersed airborne/waterborne toxins. (unless, of course, you're living right next to a superfund site or something) Smoking is so prevalent in the US and other countries, and many people think that it won't affect their health, so...they'd rather believe that they're the innocent victims of the government's hazardous waste dumping policies, than to admit that maybe their "habit" is what's making them ill.

Just my

Old 03-14-2006, 10:13 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

I fail to see how smoking would be more hazardous than toxic waste, or even car fumes, for that matter.

To say that people who smoke are hazardous for the general health of the invironment is a tad over the top, considering that cars, for example, pollute a thousand times more.

Sure, smoking isn't healthy, so is too much sports, too much sugars, etc. More people die from the effects from over-eating than from the effects of smoking, did you know that?

For example, corrupted governments have made it possible for the industries to put aspartame in the food chain while they know it's brain toxic and causes more damage than smoking will ever cause.

Old 03-14-2006, 10:20 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I'd have to say I agree with Ferre on this one. If smokers want to smoke, let them. I don't give a damn, just don't do it right by me.

But don't polute my water and air. You do that, you screw up the entire ecosystem.....and can harm potentially large populations of humans, animals, etc....and our entire food supply.

Old 03-14-2006, 10:20 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

*edit* somehow the same message got posted twice.

Old 03-14-2006, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Smoking is getting banned everywhere in the UK. Im kinda glad because I hate coming back from club/bar etc. only to have black gunk in my nostrils and a cough.

Old 03-14-2006, 03:57 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Remember Mussolini? Here's what he stated on this subject...

Quote:
"Fascism should more properly be called 'corporatism,' since it is the marriage of government and corporate power."

-Mussolini

Old 03-14-2006, 04:05 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
I fail to see how smoking would be more hazardous than toxic waste, or even car fumes, for that matter.

To say that people who smoke are hazardous for the general health of the invironment is a tad over the top, considering that cars, for example, pollute a thousand times more.

Sure, smoking isn't healthy, so is too much sports, too much sugars, etc. More people die from the effects from over-eating than from the effects of smoking, did you know that?

Just as not everyone who lives near toxic waste will get cancer, not everyone who lives in a traffic-infested city will get cancer. Some people are more sensitive to carcinogens than others....and those sensitivity factors are based on each individual's genetic composition, as well as their "lifestyle".

I wasn't saying that smokers are going to kill the world...I was only commenting on the hypocrisy of "environmentalists" who smoke....and their refusal to believe that smoking plays a part in pollution, when in reality it plays a huge part and on many different levels. My point was that some people will be quick to blame the environment (and government) for health problems, when they don't realize that every cigarette gives them a big, concentrated dose of many of the same poisons that they claim are ruining the environment. For example, the deadliest gas in car exhaust..carbon monoxide, is also in cigarette smoke. Additionally, smokers are likely to be the cause of making their non-smoking spouses and children sick with smoking related illnesses such as lung cancer, pneumonia and asthma....and that is a fact.

You are right....there are other reasons people get sick...and there are endless pathological studies going on..... However, I will not agree with you that the effects of overeating alone cause death more than smoking does. Plus, overeating only hurts the health of the person doing it; there's no such thing as second-hand overeating. Also, an obese smoker will have a lot more health issues than an obese non-smoker, as smoking exacerbates every possible health condition known to man....and that is a fact. Smoking weakens your lungs and immune system, which then predisposes you to other illnesses and makes you more vulnerable to things such as airborne pollutants.

I apologize for getting on a soapbox about this..... It's just that my work is entirely centered on cancer, so I am constantly hearing the latest news about it. I have been a volunteer at one of the best and most highly respected cancer research/treatment institutes in the US for many years. I work with doctors and scientists who have devoted their lives to finding cures for cancer and curing those already afflicted. I could throw toxicology reports and statistics at you all day which state what is the proven leading cause of cancer.....but I think I'll just make this my last post, since I can tell that nothing I say will affect what you believe and I don't want to outstay my welcome here...lol.

For the record, I hold nothing against people who smoke....my dad was a smoker and I have a couple friends who smoke and I couldn't possibly begrudge them for it.

Truce?

Last edited by Heather; 03-14-2006 at 04:11 PM.

Old 03-14-2006, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Ferre, I think you and I share VERY similar views on the American presidency and the inexplicable need for many Americans to consistantly prove their military strength.
There are, however, some "off limits" topics that these same Americans will not like to discuss with you or I. Not all Americans, of course, but many believe in their own superiority over others in this world. They forget that they are equals, not superior.

If the USA is the most powerful nation on Earth, why doesn't the USA ever even get close (militarily) to China? Answer: China would give them the worst whoopin' of their life. They're not in a hurry to "spread democracy" over in China.
In Afghanistan, the cause was just. The USA had many many allies fighting along side them in Afghanistan. What happened with Iraq? Where were all their allies then? Answer: Afghanistan was justified. Iraq was not.

And, don't even try to tell a Bush supporter that the US constitution is dead. It's like they can't even hear you. But, the patriot act spells it out quite clearly. There is enough power in the patriot act for the President to single handedly rewrite the constitution, line by line if that's what they want to do. "Security" of the USA comes before liberty, therefore, there is no liberty, when put to the test.

Old 03-15-2006, 07:30 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
...day that the American public wakes up and does something about it...
tell me... if you were here and an American, what would you do?

not trying to start a fight here, I'm just wondering what you see as the "something" in the above statement.

Old 03-15-2006, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Maybe the next presidential election needs to be held "American Idol" style on TV. It looks as though it might encourage more people to vote if they have a 1-900 number to call. Not trying to be a wiseass here. Voter turnout is a real problem here in Canada too! If people don't care, it's tough to get them to vote and it's sad that things like American Idol draw more votes than a government election.

Old 03-15-2006, 07:36 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I'll jump in here. I think that Americans, as well as any other nationalities, should keep a dialogue open about this. Keep learning whatever you can, tell your friends and family and show them such articles as above. I think a lot of people are ignorant to all of this. Thank god for the internet and accessability to this information.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues