Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 09-01-2011, 11:43 AM
v7n Mentor

New Possible Nanny Laws in California

What do you think of the new bill that California is considering making into law?

http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_ne...ill_would_make

Do you think that government legislation in this situation hurts or helps the situation?

If you don't care for this type of law, what do you think would be a better alternative?

Old 09-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I think this hurts the situation, the author has a good point that it would be very hard to find two babysitters and have them switch for breaks. I could see how this would be a good law for official babysitting companies with a whole bunch of full time babysitters to hire out. But this is not good at all for hiring the random teenager down the street to watch a baby for a couple of hours.

I think an alternative would just make this law for maid/babysitting etc companies with a certain minimum number of employees, 10 or 20 or so. That way they can actually have two people do the switching. That way one person making a little money on the side won't be hurt.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

It is nothing more than an attempt to pull more money into the coffers to cover their shortfall and provide more funding for their unemployment/ worker's comp programs.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:53 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
It is nothing more than an attempt to pull more money into the coffers to cover their shortfall and provide more funding for their unemployment/ worker's comp programs.
So true. Ironically, it will probably cost people jobs. Then they won't be able to go out and spend money and pay sales tax. And then they'll be on unemployment. <shrug>

California has a greater GNP than most countries - how can they really have made such a big mess of things.

I was talking to the gentleman in the CA legislature a couple of years ago - he was thinking of outlawing Christmas lights.

While I'm all for not dumping toxic waste into our water table, I think excessive regulations are generally pointless and are just tools of political control.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

"It will apply to all 'domestic employees,' including nannies, housekeepers, and caregivers age 18 and up", so it doesn't cover probably 99% of babysitters in the state. I think it's a non-issue.

(Excessive laws - those that usually aren't enforced, and most of them aren't - just engender contempt for the institution of law.)

Old 09-08-2011, 11:38 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txshellie View Post
I was talking to the gentleman in the CA legislature a couple of years ago - he was thinking of outlawing Christmas lights.
I can see where you might think THAT was a bad idea.

Rabble Park

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues