Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 09-23-2011, 01:40 PM
v7n Mentor

Can our fundamentals of physics be wrong?

Quote:
Antonio Ereditato, spokesman for the researchers, said: “We have high confidence in our results. We have checked and rechecked for anything that could have distorted our measurements but we found nothing.”
Scientists agree if the results are confirmed, that it would force a fundamental rethink of the laws of physics.
John Ellis, a theoretical physicist, said Einstein’s theory underlies “pretty much everything in modern physics”.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...sts-claim.html

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

oops!

This could get very interesting.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:11 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
oops!

This could get very interesting.
Most definitely seeing as many times scientific theories that are seen as most probable are subsequent of previous theories such as much of physics is based around Einstein's Theory.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Next we will be forced to admit that science and scientists aren't infallible. What other mistaken theories might they have fostered upon us?

Old 09-23-2011, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member

Not sure that Einstein had the facilities to do this.

"The team, a collaboration between France's National Institute for Nuclear and Particle Physics Research and Italy's Gran Sasso National Laboratory, fired a neutrino beam 730 kilometres underground from Geneva to Italy.

They found it travelled 60 nanoseconds faster than light. That's sixty billionth of a second, a time no human brain could register."

Fancy being a sixty billionth of a second out.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:17 AM
v7n Mentor

I'd rather get back to questioning supply-side economics.

I know this might sound somewhat glib.
It just seems to me there are so many pressing issues being left
unattended primarily because of the intrusion of new stuff.
It's very frustrating.

Last edited by rabble; 09-24-2011 at 07:27 AM.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Contributing Member

To be fair to Einstein, in 1905 nobody knew about subatomic particles.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:26 AM
The Controversial Coder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
Next we will be forced to admit that science and scientists aren't infallible. What other mistaken theories might they have fostered upon us?
None, because they are theories - they can be challenged and proven to be right, wrong and such. We know very little about Physics, and what we know is our perception of them as Human Beings. This is why collaborations such as CERN exist, to challenge our notions of what Physics is.

Two generations from now, our descendants may look back scornfully as we believe that Time Travel is not possible, that a Supernova cannot be averted - we simply do not know very much about things in the grand scale which is beyond our comprehension.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:09 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
It was Albert Einstein, no less, who proposed more than 100 years ago that nothing could travel faster than the speed of light.

Well, if you are going to have space travel and space communication you are going to have to do it some other way than slow-motion speed of light.

I'm sure Al has it right for those equations he based his theory on however as you know, no politician ever says "never or nothing" and everyone knows a politician never makes a mistake.

Anyone care to explain how e=mc2 is the speed of light "squared" is not faster than simple speed of light ???

Old 09-26-2011, 03:45 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Williamson View Post
None, because they are theories - they can be challenged and proven to be right, wrong and such. We know very little about Physics, and what we know is our perception of them as Human Beings. This is why collaborations such as CERN exist, to challenge our notions of what Physics is.

Two generations from now, our descendants may look back scornfully as we believe that Time Travel is not possible, that a Supernova cannot be averted - we simply do not know very much about things in the grand scale which is beyond our comprehension.
Hi Dan,
Your perspective is right on. This is exactly why I posted this thread, all to often people take science or even other things that we perceive to be and assume them as fact when they are actually the current perspective of the moment.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:40 PM
v7n Mentor

You can never "prove" a theory correct. That's one of the first things they teach you in science and psychology in college. You can only attempt to disprove through repeated, valid and reliable, measures and experiments again and again. After enough attempts, theories can "stick" or become a law, a tenet, or even a paradigm. Just as theoretically, gravity may be gone one day when you wake up or fundamentally changed. Therefore, nothing is completely 100% set, or set right now. Relativity has given us great things and has become a paradigm of thought for physics. But as stated before, nothing is 100% fact and it was never proven, only failed to be disproven against the rigors of scientific testing. I'm actually excited about this as this could lead to more discoveries and technological breakthroughs. The scariest point to science in technology to me is hitting a plateau where there are very few discoveries/inventions being made.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:47 PM
Contributing Member

Personally I think that we are VERY wrong.

This whole nothing can travel faster than light thing is just the tip of the iceberg.

We always hear that people once thought the planet was flat, We were the center of the universe and that no one would be able to fly let alone break the sound barrier.

Yet all these have been proven wrong or broken.

Light imo is just another said barrier.

With the universe how it is, How can we even think that nothing can go faster!

This is great research and personally I hope its proven correct, yet I feel that even if its proven to go faster than light, people will still deny it.

This is Science.. This is what its for!
We have done well up till now. Lets see what this new era of FTL physics will bring.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:26 AM
Contributing Member

This will not change anything and i am saying this because since yesterday we consider that the speed of light was the barrier, today it is not the barrier and it is a little more "By 40 nanoseconds" , this wont affect any life on Earth.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:06 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by serena85 View Post
This will not change anything and i am saying this because since yesterday we consider that the speed of light was the barrier, today it is not the barrier and it is a little more "By 40 nanoseconds" , this wont affect any life on Earth.
Not by itself, but most of what we have and know today came from challenging commonly accepted facts. I think it's very exciting when things come to light and cause minds broader than my own to wonder "what if".

Old 09-28-2011, 11:32 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrafters View Post
Hi Dan,
Your perspective is right on. This is exactly why I posted this thread, all to often people take science or even other things that we perceive to be and assume them as fact when they are actually the current perspective of the moment.
Agreed. In a few hundred years what will people look back on and laugh that we actually believed...like we do the flat earth theory, etc.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybail View Post
To be fair to Einstein, in 1905 nobody knew about subatomic particles.
That actually made me laugh!

It is pretty amazing though, I wonder what's next! Time travel?!

Old 10-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

Nothing with mass can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum. Probably. Some nutrinos may be massless, so they could travel faster than light. Parts of theories, standing alone, are worse than meaningless. (Breeze Wood, a number can be larger than the number of the speed of light [expressed in any units]. Numbers aren't objects and they don't move. There's no such thing as a number you can't square.)

This is all merely a misunderstanding of what Einstein said, what it means, what the experiment was and what the results mean. The Telegraph may be a nice paper, but the article wasn't written by, or for, theoretical physicists. It was written by a writer (who probably passed one or two high school science courses) for the man in the street - who understands just about nothing about physics - and wouldn't read an article that explained the actual facts.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:44 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
Probably.
And that's the only thing science knows for sure. Fact is our scientific knowledge is at best a snapshot of what we today think is the best knowledge.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:02 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
Nothing with mass can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum. Probably. Some nutrinos may be massless, so they could travel faster than light. Parts of theories, standing alone, are worse than meaningless. (Breeze Wood, a number can be larger than the number of the speed of light [expressed in any units]. Numbers aren't objects and they don't move. There's no such thing as a number you can't square.)

This is all merely a misunderstanding of what Einstein said, what it means, what the experiment was and what the results mean. The Telegraph may be a nice paper, but the article wasn't written by, or for, theoretical physicists. It was written by a writer (who probably passed one or two high school science courses) for the man in the street - who understands just about nothing about physics - and wouldn't read an article that explained the actual facts.
Someone that says something exists that has no mass really concerns me when they begin talking about others being ignorant of physics

Last edited by TechWizard; 10-09-2011 at 07:06 PM.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:52 PM
The Controversial Coder

I think the keyword was may be massless, after all there may be massless objects that are unknown to us at the moment.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues