Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 10-14-2011, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

The Fed Plans to Monitor Google, Twitter, Facebook

Our Goverment spending our Tax dollars from the looks of it. Read the whole blog post before posting your response to this.

Quote:
The Federal Reserve is receiving proposals for a "Sentiment Analysis and Social Media Monitoring Solution" that would track public perceptions on the economy and enhance the government's public communications.

Just the Facts

Before leaping into this red-hot political topic, let's get the details out of the way. In a document that surfaced on Scribd, the Federal Reserve asks bidders to send a proposal for "gather[ing] data from various social media outlets and news sources and provide applicable reporting to FRBNY," with the minimum requirements including analysis of:
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...itter-Facebook

Your thoughts?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-14-2011, 09:31 AM
v7n Mentor

In theory it sounds like they're just being innocent and wanting to know what the public's view of the economy is. Then they can fine tune their policies. However, I think this is one of those not so fast moments. This sounds to me like another one of those, this is for the common good to protect or help you out Patriot Act types of deals. It's a virtual spy game. It's getting to be there is no privacy at all anymore. It just gives them another reason to see what we're up to and what we're thinking at all times. I guess one day, they'll actually be reading posts like this. I hope I don't end up on a watch list for this.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:56 AM
v7n Mentor

My thought is the issue is not so much what the government knows or can access to know. It is more an issue of what is considered criminal. One of the first signs of an authoritarian/fascist government is a proliferation of restrictions resulting in all persons
being criminals or subject to criminal sanctions.
Of lessor but significant concern is the getting to know you for propaganda purposes.
The answer to everything is education.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:15 PM
Contributing Member

If you liked the story in the OP, you will probably also like this one:
Quote:
The US military is developing software that will let it secretly manipulate social media sites by using fake online personas to influence internet conversations and spread pro-American propaganda.

A Californian corporation has been awarded a contract with United States Central Command (Centcom), which oversees US armed operations in the Middle East and Central Asia, to develop what is described as an "online persona management service" that will allow one US serviceman or woman to control up to 10 separate identities based all over the world.

The project has been likened by web experts to China's attempts to control and restrict free speech on the internet. Critics are likely to complain that it will allow the US military to create a false consensus in online conversations, crowd out unwelcome opinions and smother commentaries or reports that do not correspond with its own objectives.

The discovery that the US military is developing false online personalities known to users of social media as "sock puppets" could also encourage other governments, private companies and non-government organisations to do the same.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ocial-networks

Begun the astroturf wars has. /Yoda

Old 10-19-2011, 10:30 PM

As much as I hate Governments and the Fed snooping around, this is quite unavoidable. As the article pointed out, it's whether we trust governments to use this data appropriately. Unfortunately, I simply don't but there's nothing we can really do about it. I don't mind these sites providing aggregate data, but not individual personal data.

Verifying the real identity of someone on the internet has always been problematic. I think in the not too distant future every user on the internet will be required to verify their ID using some official ID document such as passport or driving license in order to get a certified online ID, and each person would only be allowed to have one. Every movement, post, comment and activity will then be traceable if the need arises.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues