Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 10-19-2011, 06:59 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Thumbs down Terrorist In San Antonio?

It's okay, today I am far more concerned about the security of this country.

I want to know how it is possible that 2 men were able to enter the 4th floor of the old Bexar County Courthouse in the middle of the night (seen on surveillance cameras carrying something in that they did not carry out) and the have the audacity to walk right out the front door to a 3rd man waiting at an RV.

2 of these men were on the FBI watch list. "Authorities tell KSAT 12 the men are not U.S. citizens, are muslim and entered the U.S. through Miami and Washington, D.C." When asked why they were in the building they explained that they just wanted a better view of the city. When asked when they entered the country they responded with one thing. 9-11 (year unknown)

Coincidentally, "KSAT reports authorities say the break-in is suspicious for a variety of reasons, including the fact that the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, a federal agency that provides imagery, map-based intelligence and geospatial information for the U.S. military, are meeting at the convention center in San Antonio."

I am sick to my stomach right now...

UPDATE... Bexar County Sheriff's Office reports five people were arrested in connection with a suspicious break-in at the county courthouse in downtown San Antonio. Initial reports listed only three in custody.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-19-2011, 07:39 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

"Inside the van, officials say they found "photographs of infrastructure" including photos of shopping malls, water systems, courthouses and other public buildings which they say were taken in cities nationwide."

Old 10-19-2011, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Any word on who these guys were working for or what their agenda is?

Old 10-19-2011, 07:46 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

No clue. Doesn't sound like they are going to tell us anything right now.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

At times like these, I wish the power brokers could just keep the fighting to themselves and leave the rest of us out of it.
If the president dislikes the president of Iran, let him go over there and punch him and be done with it.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:02 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Weird thing though. I was discussing this topic on FB with a friend when all of the sudden the thread was completely removed.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:22 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Weird thing though. I was discussing this topic on FB with a friend when all of the sudden the thread was completely removed.
Was it because I quoted a news report that included that the men were Muslims? I noted that the news source I quoted has suddenly changed their wording to "foreign descent".

It just caught me off guard because I have never had a thread removed from FB before.

Quote:
ABC News says the FBI has confirmed that the people arrested overnight in downtown San Antonio are citizens of Morocco (North Africa) and those in custody are not cooperating with authorities.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:24 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Did we make someone mad in North Africa?

Old 10-19-2011, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Did we make someone mad in North Africa?
If you know any Libyans, now might be a good time to ask them a few questions.
There's a reason why Qaddafi is so popular amongst his citizens.
Same goes for Chavez.
They may be a lot of things, but they've done a lot of good for their own people.

And these guys could just be a small group of lunatics, not acting on anyone's behalf, too.
Until there are more answers...

Old 10-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
At times like these, I wish the power brokers could just keep the fighting to themselves and leave the rest of us out of it.
If the president dislikes the president of Iran, let him go over there and punch him and be done with it.
If the old men who send young men to fight a war had to get in the ring to settle their differences there would be a lot less war.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
If the old men who send young men to fight a war had to get in the ring to settle their differences there would be a lot less war.
Indeed. They might actually find a way to work their differences out peacefully.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:14 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Naive Question: Have we become so politically correct that our safety is at risk?

Old 10-19-2011, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

You'll have to pardon me.
I'm not seeing the connection between political correctness and safety.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:41 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Well if you go back and research Major Nidal Malik Hasan, you will find that there were multiple warnings that he was NOT stable and multiple warnings of officers who kept moving him to different areas to "get rid' of the problem.

"Prior to the shooting, he had expressed extremist views which had been brought to the attention of his superiors and the FBI. Hasan was discovered to have exchanged e-mails with Imam Anwar al-Awlaki asking for spiritual guidance regarding violence. "

It was believed that part of the issue was officers not wanting to address it due to political correctness of accusing a radical Muslim as he had made complaints of being treated poorly and called names because of his background.

BEFORE he gunned down all those people on base he had made statements like this.

Quote:
"He was making outlandish comments condemning our foreign policy and claimed Muslims had the right to rise up and attack Americans,"
Quote:
Col Lee alleged that other officers had told him that Maj Hasan had said "maybe people should strap bombs on themselves and go to Time Square" in New York.
There were sooooooooooooo many chances to stop this man, but we didn't.

So now I wonder...

How did these five men in San Antonio get so far? Why did news agencies suddenly change their wording? Initially, even as they were preparing to re-open the courthouse, they (including the sheriffs office) were reporting 3 men were involved. Now there are 5? Where did they suddenly come from? What aren't we being told?

And yeah, my FB thread being removed makes me wonder even more...

Do I need to find my foil hat? Or, is something not right here?

Old 10-19-2011, 09:50 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

I am still looking for the results of this hearing...

Quote:
But the real powder keg lies in Lieberman's likely inquiry into whether some of Hasan's colleagues and supervisors ignored his radicalism – and why. If it is found that Army officials ignored the warning signs around Hasan because they were concerned about offending Muslims, that could be used as a weapon by conservatives and others unhappy with Obama's move to reach out to the Muslim world. http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Militar...2s26-usmi.html

Old 10-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

They have set the alarm bells ringing throughout the country..thanks to Home Security.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:11 AM
v7n Mentor

To the facebook point, either they didn't like the fact that you weren't being """"""P"""""" """"""C""""""" enough and walk on eggshells or they don't want this leaking out. I really don't see any other reason for a thread to just disappear.

As to the actual arrests, the good news in all of this is that arrests were actually made and that it shows that our security is working. Even the Patriot Act security measures to stop suspected and even new terrorists before they have the chance to strike albeit even though we have lost many freedoms. The cost is slightly outweighed by the benefits. That could change, but at least it is working as far as we know.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Just on the facebook point, Cricket...
That could just be as simple as one employee at FB, making a lone, snap decision to remove the content, thinking it would be for the betterment of FB.
It could also have been a mistake. It's difficult to know.

So, maybe there's no need to get the tinfoil out just yet.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Reuters reports that:

"Officials in San Antonio say that the five foreign men arrested during a courthouse break-in early on Wednesday were pranksters who were likely intoxicated.

"There is no reason to think this is a terrorist incident," Bexar County Sheriff Amadeo Ortiz told reporters Wednesday afternoon.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...79I3BX20111019

Drunk tourists with photos of places they had been and seen in a RV. I could be charged with that!

Old 10-20-2011, 05:23 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblord666 View Post
Reuters reports that:

"Officials in San Antonio say that the five foreign men arrested during a courthouse break-in early on Wednesday were pranksters who were likely intoxicated.

"There is no reason to think this is a terrorist incident," Bexar County Sheriff Amadeo Ortiz told reporters Wednesday afternoon.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...79I3BX20111019

Drunk tourists with photos of places they had been and seen in a RV. I could be charged with that!
The people of San Antonio are not falling for this story.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues