Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 12-17-2011, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Satan?

Or base elements of human nature?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-17-2011, 08:12 PM
v7n Mentor

My kids say it's like Santa claus and the tooth fairy... It's really your dad.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:13 PM
Contributing Member

There is that old saying "We All Have Our Demons" but as a scientist I truly doubt Satan's existence.

I was just having a conversation with my cousin earlier, about how I have been having difficulties overcoming some life matters, she blamed it on the devil. I simply laughed and thanked her for her concern.

Much Thanks,

BiologyWebmaster

Old 12-18-2011, 05:40 AM
v7n Mentor

It is not the nature of man to be evil.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

Perhaps the correct interpretation than that of the Arabic religions is Satan's death by God is the message to Mankind not only what is required for Remittance to Paradise but also the outcome for those who fail.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:49 AM
v7n Mentor

I would say a part of human nature necessary for survival. Just because we consider ourselves different from animals doesn't mean we lack basic instincts.

On a personal note, after a party with my friends a few years ago and quite a few drinks, we decided that it was a good idea to race to the nearby cemetery. When we arrived at the beginning there was a shadow or something moving in the dark. It mostly ignored our greetings (tequila effect). Therefore if there is a Satan it's a ghastly looking demonic creature with no manners.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:19 AM
Contributing Member

Is it he?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr_satan.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	15608  

Old 12-19-2011, 09:39 AM
v7n Mentor

The nature of man was corrupted by his choices concerning satan. That fallen nature is given to bad impulses. Everyone has a choice.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:49 AM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
Or base elements of human nature?
Were you looking for me?

Old 12-19-2011, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Were you looking for me?
Beat me to it!

Old 12-19-2011, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Were you looking for me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
Beat me!

Old 12-19-2011, 03:11 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabble View Post
It is not the nature of man to be evil.
But it IS in the nature of man to war and fight each other. To get the most resources as you can. Society is the only thing that's refined our sense of what is right and wrong. It began with cavemen and has continued through the centuries.

You're probably correct in that people aren't generally evil enough to just go around murdering and raping on average, but aggressiveness toward one's fellow man and greed have always been inherent. What that leads to is really up to the individuals sense of control.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

I will need to revisit this interesting thread as I am not sure I am capable of a coherent response at the current time. However I did finish that garden wall and heel in all the plants. If I can walk in the morning, I will be back to reply.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:28 PM
v7n Mentor

I've just been keeping an eye on this one too and thinking to myself ... hmmmmm.

I'm most interested in the comment that it isn't in the nature of man to be evil.

Depends how you look at it. Most of us know people that would do anything for a friend. Always help folks out. Are generally honest, friendly, generous, and all-around great people. We like to think that's how people are. And given a chance, I think most of us would try to be like that.

But what IS evil? What is an evil nature?

It's true that most of us are not likely to just kill someone for no reason. But is that the only definition of evil?

We all know it's wrong to steal. But ... how many people have swiped a few supplies from work (especially telling themselves that it compensates for that raise they never received, or the company won't miss it, or whatever other excuse they come up with)? Isn't it still stealing?

What about lying? Is it wrong? No one wants to be called a liar, and we want to be considered honest people. But what about the toddler who is caught in a disobedient act and the parent asks him straight out if he did it. The child will usually lie. So much for "I love children, they are always so honest." No, they will lie from the moment they learn to talk, without anyone teaching them how to do it.

I won't even go into selfishness, gossip and revenge, but I'm sure you know how common these are and how often people justify themselves in them.

So, are we evil if we do these things? If we know someone who does them, is that person evil? DO people in fact have evil tendencies?

Hmmmmmmmmm.

(Just thinking out loud a bit here, not pointing a finger at anyone in particular -- myself included, LOL)

OH! And by the way, I also agree with the fact that we DO have choices. Every moment of our lives. I believe we have choices in our actions, our words, AND our thoughts.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

Since I believe in God, I have to believe he is exist ,always exist and have to exist. He cannot turn human to be an evil but he can influence human to be more evil than him. Man is always a king of his destiny.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:22 AM

satan is real, in holly qur'an say's, "Satan is actually, the real enemy" its mean human

Old 12-22-2011, 12:09 PM
v7n Mentor

I continue to believe it is not in the nature of man to be evil.
The problem arises that each of us is born ignorant and are dependent
on others to teach us regarding what is good and what is evil.
This is an entirely ineffective method when the blind are leading
the blind. Thus it is important the occasional 'christ child' be born
among us to instruct us in the ways we have been deceived
away from our true natures.

I like the allegory of an original deceiver, a satan. However;
the existence of outright falsehood may be accountable by
the observation 2% of the human population appears to
suffer from psychopathy.

As was noted by Mark Twain,
'A lie will get around the world
before the truth can get its boots on'.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:08 PM
v7n Mentor

I still think it's in man's nature to fight and war. You say that it's the blind leading the blind, but what about the first peoples that fought each other and warred to gain more resources. It's always about power and resources or at least more resources = more power. Just look at "Lord of the Flies." I truly believe that if you take some people and put them on an island, that eventually someone will rise to power and you'd have factions fighting each other. Also, if you've ever watched the show, "Lost," there are the 'others' that have their own agenda.

I'm not saying that every human is capable of murder or even rape, etc., but I still believe that fighting and warring and attempting to gain more resources through force if necessary are within many people. I just think about what would happen if the law broke down in some form of crisis and the stores didn't have food readily available. There'd be looting and scavenging. People would possibly murder people they knew if it meant feeding their starving families. Hunger and taking care of your family equates to doing extreme things if need be. To me, that's the true nature of man without societal stigmas and constraints.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:15 PM

In my opinion God or Satan is not something the real form, is more to a person's nature. God and Satan is around us, if we were in trouble and there is someone who helps then that God came to us, if someone do evil to us then that Satan was coming to us. All humans born clean, the environment that form would be God or Satan

Old 12-22-2011, 09:16 PM
v7n Mentor

Interesting.

Perhaps the philosophy has its built-in assumptions, since I find I actually disagree (respectfully) on both points.

I do continue to believe that humans KNOW how to commit evil acts, and may very well do so if they can justify it to themselves (and just the fact that they'd rather have things a certain way is justification enough for some people, while for most it is justification enough in order to provide for or protect themselves or their families). I think the knowledge OF evil IS inherent in humankind.

On the other hand, I also think we all know inherently what is right. No one really has to teach us (in my opinion) and we know right away when we've done something wrong or evil.

But we always have a choice. And I think the choices we make go a long way towards building our surface character.

Interesting discussion.

Last edited by Inspired Ink; 12-22-2011 at 09:19 PM. Reason: typo that makes me look like I slept through English class, LOL

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues