Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 01-09-2012, 11:42 AM
No Longer Active

Thumbs down Is It Time To Legalize Marijuana?

I realize that this topic will be highly controversial. As always, please debate this topic in a respectful manner and without jabs towards each other.

Is it time to legalize marijuana? Why? Why not?

Please explain your response.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

I am an old guy who hasn't done it for many years, if I ever did, and I believe the personal possession and use should be legalized. It should be taxed and sold just like alcohol and tobacco products to persons over the legal age.

There is no medical proof that it is any more harmful than alcohol and tobacco. The reefer madness baloney that got started about the same time as prohibition is only reason it is not a legal product.

We are wasting way too much money fighting this so called war on drugs that we are never going to win. Take the profit out of the hands of the criminals and put it into the the US Treasury.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:35 PM
v7n Mentor

I personally am for the legalization of marijuana despite not using it myself. I am for the Libertarian points for personal freedoms, despite not being a Libertarian; I just like that part of their platform. Also, in addition to the reasoning of personal freedoms, I feel that marijuana should be legalized to save and even make money.

Once legalized, marijuana could be regulated and taxed just as they do with alcohol. An instant source of tax revenue. It would also cut down on the money spent imprisoning and rehabilitating those arrested on drug charges pertaining exclusively to possession or sale of marijuana. That's tens of millions saved right there.

However, it's going to be difficult to have this happen because it flies in the face of subsidized cartels and giving drugs to Mexican gangs to bring back into the U.S. so that it confirms their "suspicions" of a drug problem and their whole war on drugs. If they'd focus on making money regulating something proven less adverse to health and less contributing to delinquent behavior as alcohol rather than wasting money trying to fight something they're promoting, everybody would benefit.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
I am an old guy who hasn't done it for many years, if I ever did, and I believe the personal possession and use should be legalized. It should be taxed and sold just like alcohol and tobacco products to persons over the legal age.

There is no medical proof that it is any more harmful than alcohol and tobacco. The reefer madness baloney that got started about the same time as prohibition is only reason it is not a legal product.

We are wasting way too much money fighting this so called war on drugs that we are never going to win. Take the profit out of the hands of the criminals and put it into the the US Treasury.

What he said.

Except I'd go further and legalise all drugs. Put the production and distribution in the hands of a health agency, so that any problems people are having can be identified quickly. Why have what are really just alternatives to prescribed drugs in the hands of the baddies. Why not tax the stuff and free up police resources.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

No! I need the business. lol As a matter of fact I think spam ought to be a felony.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:44 PM
v7n Mentor

I'm in the same camp with everyone else for this one. Hard to justify sales/use/possession of Bourbon being legal but sales/use/possession of marijuana is a jail-able offense. I never was a pot-head even when it was the norm for my age group... but i never did figure out why it was supposed to be so scary. I got in more scrapes from alcohol during that timeframe than most of the guys smoking dope did. I drank and got in fights. They smoked and giggled while saying dumb stuff they thought sounded profound, but nobody lost any blood.

It just isnt the government's job to legislate morality. It's the same with prostitution. Exactly how different is prostitution vs the trophy wife thing? The length of the contract?

So if it were up to me I'd legalize most "vices" and just let society work it out. Wasting resources chasing people down for stuff like this is a waste of time... then we throw more money down the tube prosecuting and jailing them. There isnt as far as I can see an argument to be made in favor of devoting resources to this.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

@ indy LOL and tough luck. Now Spam should be a felony.

Poor Cricket. None of us have taken the other side. John where art thou?

Old 01-10-2012, 05:31 AM
Contributing Member

I've always been an advocate for the legalization of marijuana. It's a medical herb, grown naturally. It produces a chemical that's already in our brains/bodies and is not actually harmful to you. Once you come down from the high, there are no long term effects (the longer you smoke continuously the longer it takes to clear just as anything you put in your system)

It's safer than alcohol and cigarettes. Not to mention, it's already virtually legal. The only reason it's still illegal is because the government can't capitalize it like they want. Regardless of what they do, there will still be street dealers. Just like there are for back street electronics though they're sold in stores. It's just gonna happen.

But wasting millions and billions of dollars trying to combat marijuana, especially when there are newer and stronger strains of crack, coke, meth and heroine spreading around, is just pointless and hurts no one but themselves.

I personally think it'll be legal in a matter of years anyways. Each election, it gets closer and closer to passing

Old 01-10-2012, 06:44 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
It produces a chemical that's already in our brains/bodies and is not actually harmful to you. Once you come down from the high, there are no long term effects (the longer you smoke continuously the longer it takes to clear just as anything you put in your system)
Well, aside from the frequent side effect of living in dad's basement and saying "oh wow!" too often I haven't seen any serious significant longterm effect. :p

Old 01-10-2012, 09:00 AM
v7n Mentor

I thought it was legal. LOL Everyone has it that wants it or can easily get it. With the number of people using the drug, you seldom here about a user getting busted for a few joints on hand. I think it's getting overlooked more and more and will be completely legal with time.

Alcohol is for sure a bigger issue but it brings in too much revenue for that problem to ever be fixed.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

I never used illegal drugs in my life but I guess the war in drug is endless and cost a huge amount of taxpayers' money. I have read many things about how some agencies around the world financed their black operations with drugs dealing. This morning I discovered this article from the New York Time below:

U.S. Agents Aided Mexican Drug Trafficker to Infiltrate His Criminal Ring
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/09/wo...g.html?_r=1&hp

Last edited by Franc Tireur; 01-10-2012 at 09:08 AM.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

Nah, It's a misdemeanor in most places anyways.

When alcohol was legalized, the "criminals" just became law abiding suppliers (and politicians). Hence, problem solved. (kinda)

If pot is legalized the "criminals" will continue to murder and profit thru meth, coke, etc. Legalizing a joint isn't going to win the war on drugs.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
I realize that this topic will be highly controversial. As always, please debate this topic in a respectful manner and without jabs towards each other.

Is it time to legalize marijuana? Why? Why not?

Please explain your response.
Cricket, what's your opimion this?

Old 01-10-2012, 06:45 PM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by G10 View Post
Cricket, what's your opimion this?
Admins don't have opinions.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:04 PM
v7n Mentor

See G10, I *told* you she wasn't "too stoned to post". Pay up.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:20 PM
No Longer Active

LOLOLOLOLOL! Now I have to respond, dang it!

The following is only my opinion, nothing more, nothing less. I am not going to debate my own opinion....

For those of you who believe that weed isn't any more dangerous than smoking cigarettes, I have a question for you. Would you be okay with a doctor smoking a joint before he operated on you? How about if he was only writing a script for you? How would you feel about your accountant helping you with decisions if he was high?

I have personally seen weed destroy families.

I have seen it turn good people into people who care about absolutely nothing, including their families.

I have watched it turn bright students into drop outs.

I have seen it destroy lives.

Yes, I agree, the same could be said for alcohol, but it already is what it is. By legalizing weed I believe there would be people who would have never ever considered smoking it, who would choose to do so if it were legal.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:46 AM
Super Moderator

I can see your point on this and have to agree.

I guess any "vice" leaves some people open to complete damage/abuse and is called a vice for a reason.

If it could be banned (along with all other drugs), except for medicinal purposes then I would be happy with that. When I say banned, I mean completely stopped by drug lords also, all removed.

The problem is that this is never going to happen and there is always going to be an underground market for this.

IF it were legalized, then drug cartels could not be able to get it in at the rate a government could and it would make them suffer as they lose their business. Would they go into selling other drugs? Possible, though if they were going to do that, they would have probably done it anyway as these people have no scrupples.

At least this way a society could be monitored and it would be known who is on it and who isn't.

My own viewpoint is that I would probably remove it all if I could, with the exceptions of medical reasons as I have personally witnessed people become paranoid over years of taking it as I used to be a drummer for a band and seen a lot of interesting this like this.

Fortunately it never made me paranoid or affected my mind in any way, so you can stop thinking those thoughts about me right now, AND THAT GOES FOR YOU ALSO SNAKEYES, RIB BONES, ZIP, SCROLLBOY and MYSQLAMATUERTEACHER

Old 01-11-2012, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post

For those of you who believe that weed isn't any more dangerous than smoking cigarettes, I have a question for you. Would you be okay with a doctor smoking a joint before he operated on you? How about if he was only writing a script for you? How would you feel about your accountant helping you with decisions if he was high?

I have personally seen weed destroy families.

I have seen it turn good people into people who care about absolutely nothing, including their families.

I have watched it turn bright students into drop outs.

I have seen it destroy lives.

Yes, I agree, the same could be said for alcohol, but it already is what it is. By legalizing weed I believe there would be people who would have never ever considered smoking it, who would choose to do so if it were legal.

I suspect most of us, but I will only reply for myself, meant the occasional recreational use. One does not do recreational things right before an important task and all day every day is not recreation time.

And with the utmost respect I have to disagree most of the rest of what you said. It is not the weed, alcohol or whatever that destroys live and families and careers. The real culprit is weak character and possibly a lack of morals. It the same concept as "Guns don't kill people, people do".

Old 01-11-2012, 07:52 AM
v7n Mentor

oddly ... I am opposed to legalization of marijuana although ...
I do support decriminalization. Many people need the income.
I don't think the government should be involved.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:05 AM
v7n Mentor

Any "vice" taken to excess can destroy a life. I doubt marijuana is any more likely to do so than beer, wine, liquor, sex addiction, sloth, gluttony, etc.

The idea that legalizing marijuana would create a bigger problem ignores IMO the lessons of prohibition era. The guys that wanted to impose their personal choice to be a teetotaler on others forced everyone to choose to be a teetotaler like them or else become a criminal. We created criminals of even those that drank responsibly and not to excess.

In the process of criminalizing those that were otherwise decent citizens, we also created the greatest boon for organized crime of the 20th century, as a criminal enterprise rose to meet the demand. The gangster era of movie fame was a direct response to a law that attempted to impose someone elses norms of a huge part of the populace.

It isn't the role of government to allow itself to be used to be our mom. If you drink too much you can screw up your life. If you smoke too much dope you'll likely have job options limited to burger flipper or drug dealer. That doesn't mean we should have one legal and one be a criminal offense. People should be responsible for their own lessons in moderation. The money we waste pursuing this is down the drain.

The economics of prohibition being abolished suggest that by legalizing pot we'd quit losing money prosecuting marijuana sales, and gain tax income. At the same time making it legal would make the illegal dealers compete with corporate giants, which is the reason jack Daniels is the primary manufacturer of bourbon, not same guy in the woods with a still made of junk parts.

Note that ending prohibition did not turn the average American into a drunken bum, despite the fears of those that feared the worst when the volstead act was repealed. Society is perfectly capable of self-regulating it's own social behavior without government assistance.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Closed Thread