Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 02-14-2012, 03:06 PM

Preschooler’s Homemade Lunch Replaced with Cafeteria “Nuggets”

You might want to be sure you've take your blood pressure meds before reading further...

Quote:
Carolina Journal News Reports

Preschooler’s Homemade Lunch Replaced with Cafeteria “Nuggets”

State agent inspects sack lunches, forces preschoolers to purchase cafeteria food instead
By Sara Burrows
Feb. 14th, 2012

RAEFORD — A preschooler at West Hoke Elementary School ate three chicken nuggets for lunch Jan. 30 because a state employee told her the lunch her mother packed was not nutritious.

The girl’s turkey and cheese sandwich, banana, potato chips, and apple juice did not meet U.S. Department of Agriculture guidelines, according to the interpretation of the agent who was inspecting all lunch boxes in her More at Four classroom that day.

The Division of Child Development and Early Education at the Department of Health and Human Services requires all lunches served in pre-kindergarten programs — including in-home day care centers — to meet USDA guidelines. That means lunches must consist of one serving of meat, one serving of milk, one serving of grain, and two servings of fruit or vegetables, even if the lunches are brought from home.

When home-packed lunches do not include all of the required items, child care providers must supplement them with the missing ones.

The girl’s mother — who said she wishes to remain anonymous to protect her daughter from retaliation — said she received a note from the school stating that students who did not bring a “healthy lunch” would be offered the missing portions, which could result in a fee from the cafeteria, in her case $1.25.

“I don't feel that I should pay for a cafeteria lunch when I provide lunch for her from home,” the mother wrote in a complaint to her state representative, Republican G.L. Pridgen of Robeson County.

The girl’s grandmother, who sometimes helps pack her lunch, told Carolina Journal that she is a petite, picky 4-year-old who eats white whole wheat bread and is not big on vegetables.

“What got me so mad is, number one, don’t tell my kid I’m not packing her lunch box properly,” the girl’s mother told CJ. “I pack her lunchbox according to what she eats. It always consists of a fruit. It never consists of a vegetable. She eats vegetables at home because I have to watch her because she doesn’t really care for vegetables.”

When the girl came home with her lunch untouched, her mother wanted to know what she ate instead. Three chicken nuggets, the girl answered. Everything else on her cafeteria tray went to waste.

“She came home with her whole sandwich I had packed, because she chose to eat the nuggets on the lunch tray, because they put it in front of her,” her mother said. “You’re telling a 4-year-old. ‘oh. you’re lunch isn’t right,’ and she’s thinking there’s something wrong with her food.”
Excerpt. More at: http://www.carolinajournal.com/exclu...a-nuggets.html

Isn't it just wonderful that our federal government now has state employees inspecting kids' lunchboxes to ensure that their parents are feeding them right?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Yet more idiocy from Washington.

I take my meds in the morning. I think I will have a drink instead.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

OMG, what a stupid school. (I was being nice in this reply and not using bad words)

My niece is 4 years old and i know how picky she is when eating without her parents with her. Her mother let's her have what she knows that she will eat then like the girl in the story, she eat's veggies at home when she is being fed them by her mom or dad.

I hope the other parents team up against this school. She is 4 years old for christs sake. This is not a teenager.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
OMG, what a stupid school. (I was being nice in this reply and not using bad words)
Unfortunately, this isn't a case of the school being stupid; they're following the law.

Quote:
My niece is 4 years old and i know how picky she is when eating without her parents with her. Her mother let's her have what she knows that she will eat then like the girl in the story, she eat's veggies at home when she is being fed them by her mom or dad.
Isn't that part of the job description for a 4-year-old?

Quote:
I hope the other parents team up against this school. She is 4 years old for christs sake. This is not a teenager.
Fighting the school won't do it. They're going to have to team up against the state of North Carolina and the USDA.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Good luck with that. These days, you can't get the state nor the goverment to do anything that's good for the people.

Dang, i hate some law's.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
That means lunches must consist of one serving of meat, one serving of milk, one serving of grain, and two servings of fruit or vegetables, even if the lunches are brought from home.
and if the kid doesn't want to eat what is listed in the USDA guidelines?

They will force the kid to eat against his/her will?

Old 02-14-2012, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

They will put it on a plate and then feed it to the garbage disposal when the kid does not eat it. Your tax dollars at work.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
They will put it on a plate and then feed it to the garbage disposal when the kid does not eat it. Your tax dollars at work.
I believe that the LA school system found that to be the case when they switched to "healthy lunches" a short time ago. The kids were refusing the stuff that they were supposed to be eating and just trashed it instead. I'll see if I can find a link to the story I read on it.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:09 AM
v7n Mentor

I would be FURIOUS if, first of all, as the mother said, they told my child I wasn't feeding her properly, and second of all if they substituted what I, as a parent, deemed appropriate for my child's lunch with what they felt was suitable.

And of course, I expect just about anyone would agree that turkey and cheese on whole wheat is more nutritious than "nuggets" anyway. I mean, you're dealing with a system that deems ketchup a vegetable. How much nutrition sense do you think they have?

You were right to suggest checking one's BP first. I am upset for the sake of the parents subjected to this.

It's ridiculous. Soon they will be coming into our homes and giving us a schedule for visiting the bathroom. (And I am really trying to be nice here!)

Gives "nanny state" a whole new meaning, sigh.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Contributing Member

I'd be furious too, but is this really Washington's fault? The person making the stupid decision was a state employee, working according to North Carolina law (one that does call upon federal standards, but that's pretty normal for stupid state laws).

Old 02-15-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen.king View Post
I'd be furious too, but is this really Washington's fault? The person making the stupid decision was a state employee, working according to North Carolina law (one that does call upon federal standards, but that's pretty normal for stupid state laws).
If I'm not mistaken, this part:
Quote:
The Division of Child Development and Early Education at the Department of Health and Human Services requires all lunches served in pre-kindergarten programs — including in-home day care centers — to meet USDA guidelines.
indicates that this is a case of the state having to follow federal requirements that have been placed on all programs within the state. As far as I can tell, DHS is the federal agency, not a state agency. (If a state doesn't "voluntarily" follow the federal "guidelines", it loses its federal money. It works just like the old federal 55-mph speed limit imposed on the states did.)

Old 02-15-2012, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barr View Post
If I'm not mistaken, this part:

indicates that this is a case of the state having to follow federal requirements that have been placed on all programs within the state. As far as I can tell, DHS is the federal agency, not a state agency. (If a state doesn't "voluntarily" follow the federal "guidelines", it loses its federal money. It works just like the old federal 55-mph speed limit imposed on the states did.)
That's incorrect. It's not uncommon for federal and state agencies to have similar names. In fact, the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services can be visited online here: http://www.ncdhhs.gov/. When I investigated the story further, since the article in the Carolinan wasn't specific, I found reference to it being a STATE issue, not a Fed one.

If this were like the speed limit thing, we'd have the same thing happening here in Virginia, but we don't.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

Besides, the Fox News report specifically says:
"According to reports, a state agent who was inspecting lunch boxes that day decided the girl’s packed lunch did not have enough nutritional value. A regulation put into place by the Division of Child Development and Early Education at the Department of Health and Human Services requires that all lunches served in pre-kindergarten programs meet federal nutritional guidelines."
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/0...uggets-due-to/

The Federal DHHS doesn't even have a division named "Division of Child Development and Early Education." The North Carolina DHHS does. Whose regulation is it, then? It kinda bugs me that Fox (and other places) try to word it so you think it's a federal government problem.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Knowing of the idiots in Washington like I do it might be a few paragraphs attached to an appropriations bill. It might be local yocals misunderstanding of some obscure rule.

From wherever and whatever it is just plain wrong. Kids don't fail to learn because they ate the wrong things. Kids fail to learn because the education system is broken.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
The Federal DHHS doesn't even have a division named "Division of Child Development and Early Education." The North Carolina DHHS does. Whose regulation is it, then? It kinda bugs me that Fox (and other places) try to word it so you think it's a federal government problem.
I stand corrected. Thanks for the additional information.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:48 PM

On a related note:
Quote:
Obama Sends Gov't Taste-Testers Into School Cafeterias
WKYT

Audrey Rowe is visiting schools all over the nation.

“Everything we can do.. to make food taste good,” Rowe told students at Elkhorn Middle School in Frankfort on Wednesday.

The USDA official from Washington, DC got a first-hand look…and taste of school lunches in Kentucky.

“I think we can make it to where one day you’ll say ‘that lady was here and I like this food now.’ That’s what I’m working on,” she said.

Taylor Boggs ate lunch with Rowe, who’s worked directly with President Obama on [federal] school lunch legislation.

“She really listened to what I said about the food,” said Boggs, an 8th grader at Elkhorn.
Full article. Comments at: http://nation.foxnews.com/president-...ool-cafeterias

Old 02-15-2012, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Hey that is my local turf. Wish I had known they were coming. I think I have some rotten eggs in the fridge.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barr View Post
On a related note:
...thus proving the adage that no matter what you can claim on the Internet, somebody will always find a link that appears to disprove it.

Two separate issues, though, to me. The inspector, assuming we're getting the correct end of the story (and 15 years experience in education have shown me there are always three sides of every story), was a twit. Parents ought to be able to send sandwiches and bananas to school with their kids. The North Carolina authorities were, in my opinion, stupid.

On the other hand, I'm 44 years old but I STILL remember the crap they shoveled onto my tray growing up poor in Mississippi. Wouldn't it have been nice back then to have had somebody take an interest in making that food healthier and--gosh, maybe even tastier? Half the kids wouldn't even eat half of the stuff.

I know the education industry needs improvement, but anybody who says that what kids are eating has no effect on that obviously should've eaten better during their health classes, because the tie between diet and ability to absorb knowledge has been proven for decades.

What really ticks me off, honestly, is hearing Rush Limbaugh attack the First Lady because she's trying to get kids to eat healthier. Nanny state, my tush. Does anybody let kids decide what to eat? Those of you who have kids, do you let them determine what's for dinner? Of course not. Parents who behave responsibly and send food with their kids, like the one in the article that started this thread, are great, but many parents either because they don't know better or they can't afford better (my own parents were in the second group) are at the mercy of whatever the school district decides to slop on their kids' plates. And now Rush Limbaugh is going to say that's a good thing and ridicule anybody who tries to make it better?

Lookit, I know the V7N is populated with right wing zealots; it's why I don't come here very often. I know right wing zealots could watch the current President turn water into wine and complain that he didn't pick the right wine type. But sometimes I gotta call BS when I see it.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:55 PM

I never claimed there was any connection between the two stories. They are related, not connected.

Incidentally, Limbaugh isn't knocking the first lady for trying to get kids to eat healthier; first ladies have always done that sort of thing. He's knocking her for using the power of the federal government through the HHS and USDA to do it.

Whether I'm a "right-wing zealot" or not may be open to question. Card-carrying Obama fans will certainly see me that way.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:28 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Lookit, I know the V7N is populated with right wing zealots; it's why I don't come here very often. I know right wing zealots could watch the current President turn water into wine and complain that he didn't pick the right wine type. But sometimes I gotta call BS when I see it.
They just need hugs.

Other than that ... I pretty much agree with everything you said.

However ... why isn't Obama turning water into wine?
I thought that's what he promised to do. Where's the change?

What's with the drones? Why'd he sign NDAA? Etc.
Why is the gov letting crooked banksters run free?
Why robo-signing deal when folks should have gone to jail?

Last edited by rabble; 02-15-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues