Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 02-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

Biopiracy and the Patenting of Life

[YT]tPMd4u1MCDg[/YT]

Quote:
As the world begins to digest the implications of intellectual property for online censorship, another IP issue threatens an even more fundamental part of our daily lives: our food supply. Backed by legal precedent and armed with seemingly inexhaustible lobbying funds, a handful of multinationals are attempting to use patents on life itself to monopolize the biosphere.
Do you think these companies have the right to patent genetic modified seeds and living creatures?

What do you think about genetic modified terminal seeds?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Do you think these companies have the right to patent genetic modified seeds and living creatures?
Yes. But if their seeds interfere with others they should be held accountable as they were in the first case mentioned. Their seeds should be sterile for cross pollination purposes or not allowed to be sold.

Quote:
What do you think about genetic modified terminal seeds?
They should not be allowed to sell them or give them away without full disclosure. Severe penalties should they break that rule.

This is really nothing new. For centuries farmers raise tobacco, left a few plants to mature, harvested the seeds and planted next years crop. When hybrid tobacco seeds were introduced by natural breeding this practice ended. You must buy new seed stock each year.

The same is true for many hybrid vegetables and tomatoes. This new thing is just the latest method to force the buying of new seed.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:26 AM
Super Moderator

Scriptman has already pointed out, but the problem with this lies in these companies BRUTAL atacks on innocent farmers. For example, we all know of cases where farmers grow organic crop and some seeds blow into their fields from gm crops.

What happens next?.... The gm companies sue the living hell out of the farmers for having some of their seeds in their fields and the farmers always lose the battle as they don't have the fundings to keep battling against multi-billion dollar companies.

They havee been trying to patent a breed of pig that is already around and this has been going on for a few years now.

Oil may be the worlds biggest asset but it will soon be rivalled by food and the governments are on the side of the companies due to the amount of money they can plough into the government.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by G10 View Post
governments are on the side of the companies due to the amount of money they can plough into the government.

The truth is they pay very little in taxes to the various governments. They do line the pockets and off shore accounts of the politicians. Many are heavy contributors to political campaigns.

Current day legislation, attitude and politics are very much as Ayn Rand predicted in the novel "Atlas Shrugged".

Old 02-19-2012, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

I didn't know that they pay little in taxes, but one thing I do know is that there are ex-monsanto and pharmaceutical reprisentatives within the government.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:20 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
Yes. But if their seeds interfere with others they should be held accountable as they were in the first case mentioned. Their seeds should be sterile for cross pollination purposes or not allowed to be sold.

They should not be allowed to sell them or give them away without full disclosure. Severe penalties should they break that rule.

This is really nothing new. For centuries farmers raise tobacco, left a few plants to mature, harvested the seeds and planted next years crop. When hybrid tobacco seeds were introduced by natural breeding this practice ended. You must buy new seed stock each year.

The same is true for many hybrid vegetables and tomatoes. This new thing is just the latest method to force the buying of new seed.
I couldn't say it better. Thanks ScriptMan

Quote:
I didn't know that they pay little in taxes, but one thing I do know is that there are ex-monsanto and pharmaceutical reprisentatives within the government.
Very true. Thanks G10

IMO many things about GMO are controversial.

- Biofuel from GMO corn subsidy that could feed poor people for example.
- The abuse of GMO trademarks and patents
- The insecticide soil pollution

and the worse is that all of these chemical are contamining our bodies and the air we breathe.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member

This morning I read this:

Makers of genetically modified seeds say more farmers evading EPA rules
http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...jBR_story.html

Old 02-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

Other interesting articles to read about GMO:

GMO Scandal: The Long Term Effects of Genetically Modified Food on Humans
Scientific Tests Must Be Approved by Industry First

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.p...t=va&aid=14570

Test GM Foods in Humans? Monsanto Says No Need For It
http://naturalliving360.com/test-gm-...ed-for-it.html

[YT]cYO2k_o16E0[/YT]

Old 02-20-2012, 08:48 AM
Contributing Member

It never ceases to amaze me how much one person will screw over another one if they believe themselves to be better (either because they are cleverer or better funded).

Old 02-21-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Scriptman has already pointed out, but the problem with this lies in these companies BRUTAL atacks on innocent farmers. For example, we all know of cases where farmers grow organic crop and some seeds blow into their fields from gm crops.

What happens next?.... The gm companies sue the living hell out of the farmers for having some of their seeds in their fields and the farmers always lose the battle as they don't have the fundings to keep battling against multi-billion dollar companies.

They havee been trying to patent a breed of pig that is already around and this has been going on for a few years now.

Oil may be the worlds biggest asset but it will soon be rivalled by food and the governments are on the side of the companies due to the amount of money they can plough into the government.
This is exactly what is happening, the little guy can't fight and the rich get richer and more powerful, sadly people are not able to see this in their everyday lives, they can't see the truth that is in front of them. All they know is that these billion dollar companies are giving them their pay cheques, so they obey them with blind eyes next thing you know is that they fire you and put you out on the street to hire the next guy for cheaper labor. You try and find one of those smaller companies that were around a couple years back for a new job but you find out they are gone.

As for food being the biggest asset, let us look at the poor countries around the world. Companies go in and say we can provide you with cheaper milk then your local producers produce, this is considered "good" because you are "helping" poorer people then you. The local farmers stop producing milk because it is more expensive then importing, after a couple of years the company has a monopoly and says we are no longer able to give you the cheap milk, it is going to cost a bit more. The price of milk has now gone up higher then when local producers made the milk for them, the poor people get poorer and can't better themselves. This is what capitalism has created, a system that is based on greed and takes advantage of people.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWWB View Post
This is exactly what is happening, the little guy can't fight and the rich get richer and more powerful, sadly people are not able to see this in their everyday lives, they can't see the truth that is in front of them. All they know is that these billion dollar companies are giving them their pay cheques, so they obey them with blind eyes next thing you know is that they fire you and put you out on the street to hire the next guy for cheaper labor. You try and find one of those smaller companies that were around a couple years back for a new job but you find out they are gone.

As for food being the biggest asset, let us look at the poor countries around the world. Companies go in and say we can provide you with cheaper milk then your local producers produce, this is considered "good" because you are "helping" poorer people then you. The local farmers stop producing milk because it is more expensive then importing, after a couple of years the company has a monopoly and says we are no longer able to give you the cheap milk, it is going to cost a bit more. The price of milk has now gone up higher then when local producers made the milk for them, the poor people get poorer and can't better themselves. This is what capitalism has created, a system that is based on greed and takes advantage of people.
Well there are different kinds of capitalism, but the one you are describing is unfortunately enslaving people like the feudal system aka oligarchy.

Without falling in the Maxism, I believe there are other ways to explore and to make business without divesting poor people.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Elements View Post
Well there are different kinds of capitalism, but the one you are describing is unfortunately enslaving people like the feudal system aka oligarchy.

Without falling in the Maxism, I believe there are other ways to explore and to make business without divesting poor people.
My personal take on life and my belief system is, "when you have to screw anyone less fortunate than yourself to win you are doing something wrong." That rule applies across the board. No exceptions.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:08 AM
v7n Mentor

So many, many little ways this is infiltrating into our country.

Did you know that if I spill milk when milking a goat, the EPA has declared that I must treat it as a biohazard and clean it up accordingly?

And since you mentioned milk ... I usually buy mine at a farmer up the road (when my goats are not in milk). To me, it is pricey. Or at least it was. Today, I went to town and was going to pick up milk there. In the grocery stores, the price has gone WAY up, unbelievably high! When did that happen? It now costs as much to buy in the store as it would to buy from the farmer.

Well, I bought a quart, because I needed some for making cornbread for dinner. But tomorrow I'm going back to the farm. His milk comes with the added bonus of cream, and being fresh that day. Looks like soon, the grocery store milk will be more expensive than the farmer's, if the trend continues.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Contributing Member

This is why prevention of cross-contamination of Genetically Modified Crops is crucial.

When corn was first being genetically modified, it was only grown underground and in caves, in a attempt to prevent any transgenes being introduced into the environment.

Here is a link to an article called Managing "Pollen Drift" to Minimize Contamination of Non-GMO Corn, AGF-153

After watching the video below, it briefly describes how this company is purposefully cross-contaminating indigenous crops, in an attempt to interbreed their "patented" genes into natural crops.

This fact I find to be horrendous, and totally goes against both bioethics policies and the entire scientific community.

Much Thanks,

BiologyWebmaster

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues