Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 02-23-2012, 11:23 PM
Contributing Member

If you are starving to death (which many people are) you would eat it. Or would you die instead because of the yukkk? Proof people will eat any thing. Big M nuggets. I am no advocate for it but I can see it happening. Besides are we not going to be all robots one day anyway? (some science fiction I read)

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 11:29 PM
v7n Mentor

Starving is another scenario, of course. I can't always afford what I want, but I don't starve. I have too many animals and a garden. Not in immediate danger.

And we're not really discussing it from such an angle, but I don't believe all the bio-tech that will supposedly "feed the world" is moving in that direction at all. If anything, they have made the soil less productive and created agricultural problems.

I don't see much of the scientific bent as being helpful to feeding the world's starving. It's a worthwhile consideration, of course. I just believe the answer lies elsewhere, and if the big ag companies have their way, it's going to cause higher food prices and less production, not the reverse. It hasn't exactly been good for the US so far, and we have yet to see where the road ultimately leads.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:45 PM
v7n Mentor

Behold, survival menu Bear Grylls style basics - eat anything

[YT]qSw7uwx3Mrc[/YT]

Old 02-24-2012, 07:04 PM
v7n Mentor

THAT is the best argument for firearms I've seen in a while. Sorry, thanks, but I'll shoot me a rabbit or a squirrel before I'll pick an eyeball off a carcass or eat insects.

Of course if a person is starving, they will eat what they can find. I would just hope I could find better than that.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

So how much do they pay that guy to make the vids?

He sure did not look happy eating those things. Could I? Would I? For money hell no! In desperate hunger, maybe if it was the best I could do.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:02 PM

Open a can of spam.......then think about what is actually in it.......

Beats a forced population reduction........WW3.......

Old 02-25-2012, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gillum View Post

Read the label on a can of potted meat and you won't even open it. I never knew so many floor sweepings could even be canned for human consumption.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:09 AM
v7n Mentor

Potted meat and vienna sausages ... my mother bought them when we were kids. That was probably the first thing I learned to refuse as a child. Nasty,nasty ...

Cat food is probably better. I've opened cans that smelled better.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

I still eat Vienna sausages the cans are handy to take to a work site. I gave up the potted meat once I could read the label and use a dictionary (no internet in those days).

Old 02-25-2012, 11:37 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired Ink View Post
THAT is the best argument for firearms I've seen in a while. Sorry, thanks, but I'll shoot me a rabbit or a squirrel before I'll pick an eyeball off a carcass or eat insects.

Of course if a person is starving, they will eat what they can find. I would just hope I could find better than that.
Why firearms? You can hunt with a stick, knife, just about anything. Actually, I believe a knife would be far more beneficial in the wild. You can't cut an animal/tree/fabric with a gun. The show is actually quite interesting because it shows extremely different environments. The things that are eatible also often differ greatly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gillum View Post

Does potted meat or a can of spam count as GMO if it is mostly based on additives and chemicals? Just a thought...

Old 02-25-2012, 11:53 AM
v7n Mentor

Almost forgot, some interesting trivia on the man in the video.

Seems that worms and other delicious treats can be very profitable - Bear's salary per episode is over $30,000, depending on the situation.
Various sources claim it to be substantially more. You can add royalties and other income from his books, shows, events.
His net worth is around 6 million $ and one of his estates is a private island off the Welsh coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
He sure did not look happy eating those things.
I'm sure he looks quite happy when he looks at his bank account

Old 02-25-2012, 04:59 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kju385 View Post
Why firearms? You can hunt with a stick, knife, just about anything. Actually, I believe a knife would be far more beneficial in the wild. You can't cut an animal/tree/fabric with a gun. The show is actually quite interesting because it shows extremely different environments.
I think I've seen a few episodes ... if not that show then something pretty similar. It was interesting.

I won't disagree that the knife is pretty beneficial. I'll need one of them in addition to my rifle/shotgun.

And I want a gun cuz ... I can most likely shoot a rabbit, squirrel, something the very first day or if I get lucky, even first few hours. You want me to kill a rabbit with a knife? Ummm .... I'm going to have to get REALLY lucky to catch him first! Actually, I can make a snare. But ... sorry ... guns are easier for me. That's all.

Now, if I was forced to choose between a knife and a gun ... I dunno. I might take the knife. I'd have to wait till I'm on the spot to make that call. You're right, it can be useful for all kinds of things. I can even make a spear with it, I guess. But I've never hunted with a spear. I kinda doubt my aim would be very good. I'd probably be reduced to digging roots with it instead.

Last edited by Inspired Ink; 02-25-2012 at 05:01 PM. Reason: little rearranging ... hopefully it makes more sense

Old 02-25-2012, 05:29 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
I think I've seen a few episodes ... if not that show then something pretty similar. It was interesting.

I won't disagree that the knife is pretty beneficial. I'll need one of them in addition to my rifle/shotgun.

And I want a gun cuz ... I can most likely shoot a rabbit, squirrel, something the very first day or if I get lucky, even first few hours. You want me to kill a rabbit with a knife? Ummm .... I'm going to have to get REALLY lucky to catch him first! Actually, I can make a snare. But ... sorry ... guns are easier for me. That's all.

Now, if I was forced to choose between a knife and a gun ... I dunno. I might take the knife. I'd have to wait till I'm on the spot to make that call. You're right, it can be useful for all kinds of things. I can even make a spear with it, I guess. But I've never hunted with a spear. I kinda doubt my aim would be very good. I'd probably be reduced to digging roots with it instead.
This really made me laugh. Not what your saying, but the sig links you have under the post.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:39 PM
v7n Mentor

Well even if you're a great shot, what will you do when you run out of bullets? I mean, guns are great for protection. To hit a moving target, the chances grow with your skill. Knife is more versatile, simple as that. The sad part of the story is that anything we would eat in our poor attempts to survive out there would probably be more healthier and natural than most of the fast food today.

Quote:
Now, if I was forced to choose between a knife and a gun ... I dunno. I might take the knife.
Welcome to the dark side

Old 02-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

A knife and a straight stick make spear. A gun without ammo is just a club.

Personally I would hate to hunt rabbits with either. Stock pile a few traps if you fear.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:13 PM
v7n Mentor

LOL, I see what you mean about the sigs. I probably have other blogs that would be even more amusing, but those are pretty good.

Right after I hit post, I got to thinking it would make more sense to attach the knife to the stick to make the spear instead of just sharpening it. Hey, I don't claim to be a spear expert, LOL.

I do actually have traps ... they get used regularly.

Not really thinking about hunting for long-term food source. I mean, it's not impossible, I'm just not thinking that way. I have lots of rabbits in cages that don't need guns or traps. Dozen or so new ones just yesterday, another few dozen on the way. Another dozen chickens in the past day too. Food I have.

Hehe dark side ... I'm still debating if my wether (castrated goat) is going to live up to his former name of Bar-be-cue after all. Too bad ... he's really my favorite goat. But livestock are not pets, and he's becoming destructive and un-useful. I said that to say ... I'm thinking of which knife might be required for skinning. I actually want the hide if I have to slaughter him.

I DO hope he straightens up though. I'm expecting more baby goats any day, and a couple of them can be bar-b-cue instead.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

I just read that two does with the help of a buck occasionally can produce 600 pounds of edible meat in a year????? I mean we have all heard the joke but this gives it a whole new meaning.

Do goats taste better than they smell?

Old 02-26-2012, 10:04 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
I just read that two does with the help of a buck occasionally can produce 600 pounds of edible meat in a year????? I mean we have all heard the joke but this gives it a whole new meaning.
Hmmmm .... better than that really I think, under totally ideal conditions. My does were averaging 10-12, per litter, sometimes I'd even get 13. So somewhat conservatively, I'd go with 10 per litter. If you keep them in great condition you can breed every 2 months. So that's 6x10 kits per doe per year, 120 kits for 2 does. Mine dress out around 5-6 pounds, so if I say 5 pounds it would come to 600 pounds. If I were fortunate enough to get 12-13 kits raised per litter, and say 5.5 pounds of dressed weight, I think that raises the total to 825 pounds. Not impossible, but very ideal conditions.

Realistically speaking, I usually breed my does about 4x per year. I like to keep good condition on them, but if you don't breed them often enough, you actually encourage tumors and other illness. Rabbits ARE meant to reproduce at high rates. And I have more than 2 does. So yes, I produce quite a lot of meat, and breeders for sale, etc. I'm really tempted to take my current batch out to see if I CAN sell them as pets, since they are getting old enough to wean, and they are still cute.

Quote:
Do goats taste better than they smell?
Oh my goodness, yes!!! Goat meat (especially young goats) is very nice and tender. The smell you refer to is the mature bucks. Supposed to be in rut, but honestly, my buck STAYS in rut. He STINKS!!!!

He has a nice very, VERY nice hide (he's a beautiful goat), but if for some reason I had to slaughter him (which isn't beyond the realm of possibility, since he has decided he wants to do me severe bodily harm) ... if I did slaughter him, I don't think I could salvage the hide due to the smell. I might try ... not sure.

I'm actually coveting spotted longhorn cowhide.

Last edited by Inspired Ink; 02-26-2012 at 10:08 AM. Reason: resize image

Old 02-26-2012, 10:15 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
So yes, I produce quite a lot of meat, and breeders for sale, etc. I'm really tempted to take my current batch out to see if I CAN sell them as pets, since they are getting old enough to wean, and they are still cute.
You should get a pack of giant rabbits to guard the fort

Just kidding, it's great to see someone with first hand knowledge and experience

Old 02-26-2012, 10:41 AM
v7n Mentor

LOL!

Looks like maybe a Flemish Giant. I'm no expert on the breed though.

A lot of people DO cross them with meat breeds to produce giant rabbits. I think they often go over 20 pounds. Problem is, the bones are HUGE and it's my understanding that you really don't have a good meat/bone ratio so they don't make good meat rabbits.

When I first started cooking rabbit, I would take out what I thought would be a good amount for a couple of meals and prepare them. Then I'd end up only being able to eat half as much as I expected. The bones in a good meat rabbit are TINY, so you really get a lot of meat. If you compare the pieces to, say, chicken, that you might think of cooking for a meal, rabbit goes about twice as far. At least my rabbits do. (Typical of Calis and New Zealands.)

Hehe, I wonder if a pack of huge rabbits would scare away the coyotes??? Maybe if the llama backs them up. If nothing else, I bet I could sell the video!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues