Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 02-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Banker Leaves 1% Tip On $133 Lunch

Quote:
A banker left a 1% tip in defiance of 'the 99%' at a Newport Beach restaurant the other week, according to his dining companion and underling who snapped a photo of the receipt ...In posting the photo, the employee gave some background on his boss and the receipt
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1299280.html

You have to read the whole story, but it is pretty pathetic to treat a server like that when you know that it is a very hard job.

What are your thoughts?

Robespierre

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

Assuming the service was adequate, even mediocre that is an unjustified insult. For abusive service it might have been fair play. I can recall a time or two I left 3 cents just to make the point I did not forget. That event is extremely rare.

As for the extra penny, bankers always round down. Richard Prior made a comedy about what happens to all the half cents in the banking world. If you haven't already seen it, it's worth a buck to watch it .

Old 02-25-2012, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Because it's a banker, they are easy prey to pick on as we all want our pound in flesh from these bad boys That said, it's hard to comment on this without hearing both sides of the story.

I worked in the catering industry for many years and can say that if someone does this, it is usually because the service was bad or something else.

btw, my 2 cents worth here: Welcome to the world of being molly-coddled. So the waitress get's a note on her receipt stub telling her to get a real job and they are saying...
Quote:
"The first thing we're going to do is to make sure the server is taken care of," Wilcox said, "and make sure the server wasn't treated badly or insufficiently tipped." He explained that they would be asking Breanna, the server named on the receipt, if she recalled the table and how her service was. "If her service was up to the level" they assume their employees would deliver, Wilcox said, "they would do everything they can to make it up to her somehow."
We really need to learn to stop trying to wrap people in cotton wool and understand it's not always a good world out there and peoplemay times times hear things they don't like.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:50 AM
v7n Mentor

Hmmmm .....

I used to work in food service. I got out as FAST as I could, LOL.

You do remember people who tip outstanding amounts. I still remember a guy (many years later!) who tipped me $5 on a cup of coffee. I actually chased him down to make sure he meant to leave a five. And I can remember others who tipped pennies. It is rather insulting, especially when you know you provided them the same service as everyone else. And I still remember the words of some of the people, all these many years later.

My experience was limited, but I honestly have to say I don't recall great or sorry tips, or cutting words, to have anything to do with the level of service provided. I treated them all the same. What I could see as a difference were people who seemed to get a kick out of misusing other people, who were unkind because they obviously had a high opinion of themselves, bolstered (apparently) by putting others beneath them. I think it's a fairly common human flaw.

Of course, as G10 says, we can't see the whole story. It seems to be put out there by his employee, who of course knows the man, but could possibly have personal reasons for distorting the story. Or not.

G10 is also right on the "molly coddling" issue. Haha, I never complained to my employer if anyone insulted me or undertipped, or refused to tip. I didn't expect THEM to make it up to me. Just never occurred to me. When you are in that business, you run that risk. It is unfortunate. But at the right establishment, you also have the potential to make far more than you can at just about any other job that requires the same level of education.

And I've been on the other side of the table as well. Like Script, I've left a low tip to make a point. For HORRIBLE service, once or twice I have left just a few cents. For fairly bad service, I've sometimes left 10%. And for great service, I try to leave upwards of 20%. Those incidents are fairly isolated though.

IF this man regularly leaves 1% tips, then it would be my guess that he is far too critical of his servers. After all, they ARE there to make money, and they know full well that their tip is dependent upon good service. The amounts that servers are paid for regular wages don't justify getting out of bed and driving to work. They aren't there to collect their paycheck and to heck with the tips. So while you may find poor service at times, I really doubt that one would commonly find horrible service -- not in a tip-dependent situation.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired Ink View Post
Hmmmm .....

IF this man regularly leaves 1% tips, then it would be my guess that he is far too critical of his servers. After all, they ARE there to make money, and they know full well that their tip is dependent upon good service. The amounts that servers are paid for regular wages don't justify getting out of bed and driving to work. They aren't there to collect their paycheck and to heck with the tips. So while you may find poor service at times, I really doubt that one would commonly find horrible service -- not in a tip-dependent situation.
I spent 17 years in the food business so I do know a little about it. You are so right when you say some people are impossible to please. I would love to see those people try to do the job for a single day. In 99.999% of the cases those who are the most critical would not last 30 minutes on the job.

The 'snots' who look down their nose at the 'losers' working in the restaurant don't have a clue how complicated the job really is or what it takes to make for a pleasing customer experience.

One thing I will throw out for all to think about. Your tip and the size of it does express your pleasure but a few kind words of thanks, in addition to the tip, or telling the management what a great job the person did can be a reward equal to the largest tip you ever left.

On Superbowl Sunday I almost had a bartender who was covering a few tables for a swamped wait staff tear up on me when I called her over to the table and told what a damn fine job they were doing while getting their butts nailed. The truth was the service was acceptable on a normal day, but in this situation it was the absolute best any group of people could do and it deserved praise.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:49 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by G10 View Post
Because it's a banker, they are easy prey to pick on as we all want our pound in flesh from these bad boys
Imagine for a second that we tip the bankers I guess a lot of them will not receive any tips

Robespierre

Old 02-25-2012, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Most of them deserve a tip, the tip of my cane inserted up ....................

Old 02-25-2012, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Elements View Post
Imagine for a second that we tip the bankers I guess a lot of them will not receive any tips
Hey now, hang on, we do tip the bankers and have been doing it for years

Old 02-25-2012, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by G10 View Post
Hey now, hang on, we do tip the bankers and have been doing it for years
Tss tss, they tip themselves

Robespierre

Old 02-25-2012, 12:07 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

If this isn't a brilliant publicity stunt and the service wasn't awful, that banker is one cheap bastard. I always leave a tip depending on the quality of service. The troubling issue here is the note written on the bill, "get a real job", and the notion that being the part of 1% makes you somehow superior to another person. The words to describe a person with such set of prejudice are not used in polite places.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Banker Leaves 1% Tip On $133 Lunch

Mention the “99%” in my boss’ presence and feel his wrath. So proudly does he wear his 1% badge of honor ... Oh, and he always makes sure to include a “tip” of his own.
Sad, in the old days Bankers were at liest a civil and respected group - my family past were either bankers or farmers and odd to think about it but they stood side by side with eachother and all was well ...

The above would not fit a true banker as bankers, the old days would never insult their members except in the movies. and a banker, the old days would never have a $133.00 lunch.

too bad - the jerk is set to represent the modern version of a banker that down deep in some people know at one time in the past would be the exact opposite of what a true Banker used to be.

All's Well that Ends Well

Old 02-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Good lord, what a cheap @@$@

All through highschool i worked as a dishwasher/waiter and didn't like it when i got a 1 or 2 percent tip. I knew my service was top notch and didn't do anything to make the customers dinner/lunch a nightmare.

Justs goes to show how cheap some people are. Even the rich folks are cheap. I got more words to say about the rich bankers who are cheap when it comes to tips but all the words would be curse words.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

The tip is half of the story, the banker also left a few words to the server:

"get a real job."

Robespierre

Old 02-25-2012, 01:10 PM
v7n Mentor

That looks like my handwriting on the receipt...but I can no afford $133 ANYTHING let alone lunch.

In all seriousness, he's a banker, so why are we surprised?

Old 02-25-2012, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Just seems all a bit weird to me.

Think about it for a moment. The guy pays with credit card, leaves 1% tip and then writes that on the receipt?... He's totally left a trace to himself for the next time (if there is a next time) he goes there for a meal and if I were him, I would probably avoid that establishment as he may be eating more than he bargained for

For all we know, he may have left 1% tip, given the waitress a few $'s in hand and the other guy could have written that on the receipt.

Though if that was the first and last time that he eats there, then it is more plausable.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:37 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Outta curiousity... A few questions:

1- if the cheap SOB had been a blogger... how many people here would be pointing out that the existence of one butthead in the industry is silly evidence to use as a basis to criticize all bloggers?

2- If he'd been an athiest would it have been an indictment on athiests?

3- If he was a micro-biologist would the headline still include his profession?

4- Was he an SOB because he was a banker, or might he still be an SOB if he was a car salesman or yoga instructor?

5- is this the first person ever stiffed on a tip? If not, why was this story there?

6- Is a sample size of ONE how we're going to judge all professions, or just the ones someone else decides we should villify?
This is sensationalism passing as journalism, and sadly some folks will respond with the exact Pavlovian response the writer hoped for.

Good boy. Stay. Stay. {dispense Scoobie snack here}

Last edited by robjones; 02-25-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjones View Post
Outta curiousity... A few questions:

1- if the cheap SOB had been a blogger... how many people here would be pointing out that the existence of one butthead in the industry is silly evidence to use as a basis to criticize all bloggers?

2- If he'd been an athiest would it have been an indictment on athiests?

3- If he was a micro-biologist would the headline still include his profession?

4- Was he an SOB because he was a banker, or might he still be an SOB if he was a car salesman or yoga instructor?

5- Is a sample size of ONE how we're going to judge all professions, or just the ones someone else decides we should villify?
This is sensationalism passing as journalism, and sadly some folks will respond with the exact Pavlovian response the writer hoped for.

Good boy. Stay. Stay. {dispense Scoobie snack here}
Nah, you are not going to defend this guy, he is undefendable when he wrote "get a real job."

Actually we don't talk about all the bankers but this individual, perhaps you want to go where we wouldn't

Sensationalism as journalism if the story is true, why not.

Robespierre

Old 02-25-2012, 03:19 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Defend him? I called him unpleasant names. Hows that defending him.

I also nicely pointed out that cocker spaniels are smarter than humans that cant see the underlying manipulation of public opinion planted in that story.

Last edited by robjones; 02-25-2012 at 05:58 PM.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:04 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

From what I gather most of the comments here reflected on his character rather than his occupation. The story is written in a sensationalist way, that much is obvious. I think the bad rep for bankers has roots in the last financial crisis, which people still remember quite vividly. The article makes "the evil boss banker" an embodiment of the stereotype, even to such an extent it could all be a publicity stunt for the restaurant. In that case it really doesn't matter if the SOB is real or not. For we all know some SOB in our lives and can therefore relate with ease.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Something doesn't add up on this story. The guy clearly doesn't like his boss yet goes out to eat with him. A little strange. OK - so maybe it was a business lunch with the boss picking up the tab. That would imply others being present besides the boss and the underling. So why would the boss leave this receipt and message out for others to possibly see. Also, how would this guy take the photo without the boss knowing about it? Yes he could have grabbed a photo with a cell, but the photo is really clear for a cell phone. I think the whole thing is a fake.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues